• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation DVD Ranking, July 22-28

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ashura zoldyck

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:30 am Reply with quote
i feel bad for hunter x hunter, i thought it would've done alot better then that
Khooni

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:43 am Reply with quote
Why are dvd sales lower than blu ray??
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:56 am Reply with quote
Khooni wrote:

J-collectors, those who would own rather expensive home videos in the first place, tend to prefer the higher quality that Blu-ray affords.
Panon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:04 am Reply with quote
Khooni wrote:

Why would you buy an inherently lower quality release?
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:44 pm Reply with quote
^
I dunno, maybe because it's cheaper and you still get the exact same show? Naw, that can't be it.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:51 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
I dunno, maybe because it's cheaper and you still get the exact same show? Naw, that can't be it.

But you don't get the exact same show. You get a downscale of it.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:58 pm Reply with quote
And you're not making use of your big screen TV or BD player. As for cheaper, yeah, barely. Not enough to offset what's lost visually. If they were half or a third of the price, maybe you'd have a stronger case.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

It's the same show, just downscaled. Same cast of seiyuu, director, screenwriter, plot, characters, storyboards (unless there is a feature to use alternate storyboards, which some releases do offer), music, art style, et cetera ct cetera.

Like I said, exact same show. The video quality the show is watched at doesn't impact on the show itself, just like watching Dragonball Z at 240p on YouTube does not mean that I'm no longer watching Dragonball Z.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
And you're not making use of your big screen TV or BD player. As for cheaper, yeah, barely. Not enough to offset what's lost visually. If they were half or a third of the price, maybe you'd have a stronger case.

I thought you were smarter than this. Your argument makes the assumptions.

1): that everyone has a big-screen television and a Blu-Ray player in the first place.

2): that people cannot utilise these devices with other releases (i.e. that they won't get their money's worth for their large television and BR player unless they exclusively watch Anime Blu-Rays using them).

3): that everyone cares about HD content and that their viewing experience is negatively impacted by SD.

4): that everyone can easily tell the difference between SD content and HD content in the first place - I know I struggle to without a direct screenshot comparison.
bigivel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:00 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

It's the same show, just downscaled. Same cast of seiyuu, director, screenwriter, plot, characters, storyboards (unless there is a feature to use alternate storyboards, which some releases do offer), music, art style, et cetera ct cetera.

Like I said, exact same show. The video quality the show is watched at doesn't impact on the show itself, just like watching Dragonball Z at 240p on YouTube does not mean that I'm no longer watching Dragonball Z.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:

1): that everyone has a big-screen television and a Blu-Ray player in the first place.

2): that people cannot utilise these devices with other releases (i.e. that they won't get their money's worth for their large television and BR player unless they exclusively watch Anime Blu-Rays using them).

3): that everyone cares about HD content and that their viewing experience is negatively impacted by SD.

4): that everyone can easily tell the difference between SD content and HD content in the first place - I know I struggle to without a direct screenshot comparison.

You're forgetting a important thing! All those series, you can watch on TV or Cinema(if it is a movie)! The advantage of buying DVD or BD is that you can see them whenever and wherever you want.
Only a mere fraction of people buy them, and the majority that do buy them, want a higher quality experience(other reason why they buy them), and they know about the difference in SD and HD (and normally they want the limited editions, that gives more exceptional things).

Don't forget that in Japan, in opposition to the west, anime is ubiquitous.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:06 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Agreed 100%. I don't have a BD player and I don't give a rat's ass about the minimal improvement BD quality brings to the table. Yeah, some shows are pretty neat in BD, but Madoka is an awesome show and I didn't like it any less or any more in my first DVD watch or my second BD rewatch. It is the same show, period.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:15 pm Reply with quote
bigviel wrote:
You're forgetting a important thing! All those series, you can watch on TV or Cinema(if it is a movie)! The advantage of buying DVD or BD is that you can see them whenever and wherever you want.
Only a mere fraction of people buy them, and the majority that do buy them, want a higher quality experience(other reason why they buy them), and they know about the difference in SD and HD (and normally they want the limited editions, that gives more exceptional things).

I am a non-Japanese person giving non-Japanese reasons for why some non-Japanese people might still prefer DVDs. Many people who aren't Japanese are looking to get the most for their buck rather than having that collector's bragging rights, and so they will choose DVDs which allow them to purchase more shows than if they had bought Blu-Rays.

bigivel wrote:
Don't forget that in Japan, in opposition to the west, anime is ubiquitous.

Anime isn't ubiquitous, especially compared to Manga. Anime might be available everywhere in Japan but it is still a small-ish group of Otaku who actually buy it.

I really don't see how this is even relevant to what we were talking about, except to say that if it really was ubiquitous then that would mean a wider pool of people would buy Anime and not all of them could afford to have Blu-Rays, therefore DVDs would actually be more popular. BRs are popular with Otaku largely because they're collector's items. Make Anime truly ubiquitous and that special appeal goes away.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:20 pm Reply with quote
So you have a ratty old TV and no BD player, that's not my situation. That's not the situation for a good number of people.

My argument makes the assumptions that the people buying the BD do have those things and do care enough about them. Why does anyone built a home theater system? Why do some people give any goddamn bit about sound quality? Why do some people seemingly just toss money away? Because they can, and it's worth it to them. So you, dtm, don't see any improvement at all, but that doesn't make your experiences the truth. The fans who buy the BDs know what they're purchasing, they're no longer that dude from Otaku no Video with the tiny ass TV who tapes everything and plays early eorge. If they want a ratio of 5 BDs to every 1 DVD, then so be it, it's not your call to tell them "no, there is no benefit, stop buying BDs, so say I: dtm the Magnificent!".

So the answer to the question of why DVD sales are lower: because the purchasers prefer BD.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:30 pm Reply with quote
He makes decent arguments against getting a player, but I'm pretty sure most people who have one tend to prefer BDs to DVDs when they have the choice.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Assuming we're talking about otaku, a good lot of them would already have BD players if they purchased a PS3. Otherwise, the rest of the argument makes it sound like a decent TV and a BD player are so hideously expensive and difficult to obtain. They have Costcos in Japan... The other part of the problem is equating people buy who buy anime discs with a normal populace. They're nerds, that's the reason why BDs sell more.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:36 pm Reply with quote
True, but as we see from the strength of DVD sales, a lot of Japanese still seem to agree with him. Blu-ray has a lot of gee-whiz potential with BD-J, but unfortunately it seems nobody's ever going to use it, so there's little more than an upgrade in picture quality to draw people; certainly nothing comparable to DVDs not having to be rewound or being at risk of getting eaten.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3