• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toei Reports All-Time High Revenue, Income in 1st Quarter

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:46 pm Reply with quote
dragon ball and One piece are gold mines
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:59 am Reply with quote
Step 1: Bring back Dragon Ball Z.

Step 2: Do so with amazing animation and a great team.

Step 3: ????

Step 4: PROFIT!

So, repeat these steps for a new series, please...
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:46 am Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
Step 1: Bring back Dragon Ball Z.

Step 2: Do so with amazing animation and a great team.

Step 3: ????

Step 4: PROFIT!

So, repeat these steps for a new series, please...

We don't need a new series.
We just need them to revist the series in movie format once every so often. A proper movie like Battle of the Gods every 2 or 3 years wouldn't hurt.
jeromeskee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:33 am Reply with quote
No surprise. Dragon Ball is arguably the most RECOGNIZABLE anime/manga brand in the world. And One Piece is just... well, awesome, even though it doesn't have the global appeal that Dragon Ball has had, particularly in the United States.

Expect Dragon Ball Z: Battle of the Gods DVD/Blu-Ray sales to be through the roof, worldwide.

Plus, Toei is set to revive one of their other "cash cows" in Sailor Moon with a new TV series this year. Add Sailor Moon to the steady success of One Piece and the perennial success of Dragon Ball, and Toei should expect even more income/revenue in the near future.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:07 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't rule out Toriko as a contribution. The series appears to be gaining steam.
SamTheNayru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:28 am Reply with quote
Have we already heard of the BD/DVD release date of Battle of Gods?
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:17 pm Reply with quote
SamTheNayru wrote:
Have we already heard of the BD/DVD release date of Battle of Gods?

It gets released on 9/13.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:55 pm Reply with quote
jeromeskee wrote:

Plus, Toei is set to revive one of their other "cash cows" in Sailor Moon with a new TV series this year. Add Sailor Moon to the steady success of One Piece and the perennial success of Dragon Ball, and Toei should expect even more income/revenue in the near future.

THIS...

I am very surprised that Toei hasn't done this yet already.

I hope that near the same time the new series/revival/revamp whatever-it-is gets released that the original series sees a Blu ray/remastered home video release, too.

THAT I've been waiting almost 10 years for... I've got the original show and TV movie releases that came out on US DVD way back when (with the exception of the DiC and later dubs which haven't aged well). The "unedited" Season 1 and 2 DVD releases in the States were particularly execrable and Toei has a lot to make up for there as well as their other botched, half-hearted anime releases in the US, too... They put everybody (Funimation, ADV, Geneon) through unnecessary hell with what I consider sadistic licensing and horrible master-tape loan practices. All the DBZ licensing stories and what I saw with the Sailor Moon releases definitely indicated something going on behind the scenes with Toei licensing.

We haven't seen a quality, unedited release of Sailor Moon in the West -- particularly in English-speaking regions.

There is a potentially huge fanbase (by anime standards) waiting to be tapped for the series.

I think the girl fanbase (in addition to otaku and crossover action/adventure superhero fans who might like this series) is underestimated. It'll be interesting to see how this support gets demonstrated merchandizing-wise...
(More guys could end buying the videos but the cosplaying alone will get ridiculous after the re-release. There'll be a lot more Sailor Moon cosplay.)

Sailor Moon just has to be marketed properly this time... The team/sentai action angle is what should be played up, not the magical girl aspect since that's never been that big outside of Japan. (NOTE: I'm talking about advertising, NOT the writing and mastering of the series for the English-speaking market. I want to see the show in an unedited release, too, but there are cultural aspects that have to be dealt with to sell the show in the US. It's a minor miracle it didn't die out altogether the first time after the failure in syndication prior to the Cartoon Network re-run.) With all the superhero stuff playing now, it's really the time to re-release the brand worldwide NOW.
Kutsu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:24 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
I wouldn't rule out Toriko as a contribution. The series appears to be gaining steam.

The first film came out this weekend, it entered at 8 behind Gintama's movie in its 4 weekend...

http://movie.walkerplus.com/ranking/japan/

Not to mention ratings for Torino while not disastrous are among the lowest the 9 am sunday morning block has ever seen.

Its manga sales are nothing outstanding either.
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:15 pm Reply with quote
@GeorgeC: I'm not so sure that Toei's involved with the revival - it seems she doesn't care for a number of things they put into the first go around.
Heinzendegger

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:51 pm Reply with quote
We shouldn't forget about Precure franchise, that sells merchandise like crazy.
hsapin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Maybe they could use all this money to actually improve the animation of the One Piece anime! Toei just knows that everyone will watch even though the animation is bad, so they're being lazy. It's really stupid that Toei doesn't give one of their biggest cash cows the respect it deserves...
bigivel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:18 pm Reply with quote
hsapin wrote:
Maybe they could use all this money to actually improve the animation of the One Piece anime! Toei just knows that everyone will watch even though the animation is bad, so they're being lazy. It's really stupid that Toei doesn't give one of their biggest cash cows the respect it deserves...

Well, do you see Doki Doki Precure? Is one of Toei's cash cows and it get good animation!! I believe Toriko get's to(not sure here, because I don't watch Toriko).

One Piece isn't everything that Toei have!
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:54 pm Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:
hsapin wrote:

Well, do you see Doki Doki Precure? Is one of Toei's cash cows and it get good animation!! I believe Toriko get's to(not sure here, because I don't watch Toriko).

One Piece isn't everything that Toei have!

DokiDoki's animation is...highly variable.
Heinzendegger

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:51 am Reply with quote
DokiDoki has some instances of QUALITY every now and then, but they're not present in most episode badly, and the general animation quality is very good, especially considering it's a 4-cour show.
Though Smile Precure had at least up-to-par animation as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2