• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Elfen Lied. I think I knwo why they are called 'Vectors'!

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hentai4me

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:40 pm Reply with quote
and if I'm right its very clever.

and if I am right it could shed a whole newe angle upon the series...or maybe I'm just jumping at nothing.

well heres my theory:-

In genetic engineering, once you have selected and isolated the parts of the DNA you require they are loaded into a 'Vector' so they can be implanted into the bacteria you wish to use. These 'Vectors' are either a virus or a plasmolid.

now we know that a virus injects its own DNA/RNA into the cell it is attacking to force the infected cell to create what the virus' DNA tells it.

remember, Kurama explains the original purpose of the vectors is nto to kill but to pass on the diclonius DNA, a virus passes its DNA on and a virus is a vector(at least in this science)

so seeing as viruses and the diclonius arms both are designed to achieve the same end result(passing on their DNA) and viruses are called Vectors during the Ligation(sp) stage of Genetic engineering it makes sense as to why the diclonius arms are called vectors.

which, if true, could potentially make the series on some level at least a look at the effects of genetic engineering(with a resounding 'its bad!' message)

what do you think?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I got confused. I couldn't tell either you are in the same boat (less likely), or if you collected those info from bits and pieces from science panels of newspapers. Confused

We saw that spoiler[Mariko was born as a diclonius after Kurama was "infected" before he and his wife had Mariko]. Thus, this infectious agent (let's call it a "virus" for convenience's sake) could direct itself to spermatocytes. Furthermore, spoiler[with the exception of director and his son, all diclonius were female]. That raised the first question: could the virus differentiate spermatocytes with either X or Y chromosome? Even if it could incorporate its genome into an X chromosome-containing spermatocyte, I don't think X contains any gene related to skull development and telekinesis. Taking telekinesis aside (too supernatural to discuss with...), the gene still needs to replace the existing gene for skull development (let's call it gene SKU), which leads us to other possibilities: it is either homologous to gene SKU (sku (?)), or a transposable element capable to incorporate itself into X first then translocate to the chromosome where SKU resides and replace its function.

In summary, the "vector" in Elfen Lied is

1. An infectious agent, preferably viral.
2. Can direct itself to X chromosome-containing spermatocytes.
3. Can incorporate its genome into target chromosome(s).
4. If it could recognize X chromosome and incorporates itself into X first, it has to be a transposable element.
5. In addition to gene sku, the genome of this agent requires additional elements for the transposition machinery (transposases).

All I can say is "WOW!" -- if it exists.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
hentai4me

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm not talking about the method, I'm tlaking about the name.

during genetic engineering during the Ligation stage the agent used to transfer the DNA into a viable cell is called a Vector.

we just scale it up and say that the vectors of the diclonius transfer their DNA(or what ever it may be) to the host body(cell)

the vector itself is the arms that are used to tranfer the DNA into the host, they are called vectors as when transferring DNA in genetic engineering the agent used to transfer is called a vector.
Efan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:28 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
I got confused. I couldn't tell either you are in the same boat (less likely), or if you collected those info from bits and pieces from science panels of newspapers. Confused

We saw that spoiler[Mariko was born as a diclonius after Kurama was "infected" before he and his wife had Mariko]. Thus, this infectious agent (let's call it a "virus" for convenience's sake) could direct itself to spermatocytes. Furthermore, spoiler[with the exception of director and his son, all diclonius were female]. That raised the first question: could the virus differentiate spermatocytes with either X or Y chromosome? Even if it could incorporate its genome into an X chromosome-containing spermatocyte, I don't think X contains any gene related to skull development and telekinesis. Taking telekinesis aside (too supernatural to discuss with...), the gene still needs to replace the existing gene for skull development (let's call it gene SKU), which leads us to other possibilities: it is either homologous to gene SKU (sku (?)), or a transposable element capable to incorporate itself into X first then translocate to the chromosome where SKU resides and replace its function.

4. If it could recognize X chromosome and incorporates itself into X first, it has to be a transposable element.
5. In addition to gene sku, the genome of this agent requires additional elements for the transposition machinery (transposases).

What the hell do you do for a living?
Efan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Also, Dormcat you said that vectors can only be pass the virus onto the x chromisone, which would mean that only women could be diclonus right? But in the series you see that the spoiler[director of the institution that holds the diclonus is a male and also a diclonus. ]

This is confusing me...
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Efan wrote:

He works in his lab, cackling maniacally as he designs and builds a race of super-soldiers, so that he can rule the world! Nyahaha!

Come on, it should be obvious what he does for a living, even if he hadn't mentioned it before in another thread.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:50 pm Reply with quote
dormcat's a biologist? Had no idea... it didn't seem that obvious to me. But I don't know that much about biology.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:55 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
dormcat's a biologist? Had no idea... it didn't seem that obvious to me. But I don't know that much about biology.

Yes, he's a biologist, and I'm a medical historian. Needless to say, we get on like a house on fire.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Efan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:14 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Efan wrote:

He works in his lab, cackling maniacally as he designs and builds a race of super-soldiers, so that he can rule the world! Nyahaha!

Yea.. you tell me how that turns out....

Quote:

Come on, it should be obvious what he does for a living, even if he hadn't mentioned it before in another thread.

- abunai

I had an idea that he was some kind of scientist, but now i know thanks for the info.

P.S. I'm also interested in the medical field, can you give a 15 year-old some pointers on succeeding in the science world? O.o
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:57 pm Reply with quote
I figured that the vectors had some connection to "actual" science--my best guess previously was the mathematical meaning of vector=direction. I'm not too concerned about the accuracy of the science--it's like religion-based anime, they take bits and pieces here and there, and if a good story comes out of it, kewlness.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Efan wrote:
dormcat wrote:

It's mostly basic Cell Biology he probabally learned it in high school like I did. I loved Biology it was my favorite course in 10th grade, though I'm probabally a bit rusty now.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
It's mostly basic Cell Biology he probabally learned it in high school like I did. I loved Biology it was my favorite course in 10th grade, though I'm probabally a bit rusty now.

Next time, read the entire thread before you post. You just managed to make yourself look incredibly stupid, and I'm sure that was never what you intended.

- abunai
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:37 pm Reply with quote
How is stating what specific field of science it is (further clarification on an already answered question) and that it's my favorite subject (giving an opinion) making myself look stupid? If my intention was simply to answer the question I would have just said "Seems like he's a Biologist." Confused

Shesh this what I get for trying to contribute. Rolling Eyes
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
It's mostly basic Cell Biology he probabally learned it in high school like I did.

1. It's more about genetics than cell biology.

2. I've only browsed through a US high school biology book once when I was in US. If I remember correctly, those concepts above were not taught in high school biology but in college biology (e.g. "general biology" for freshman). More details will be taught in genetics, if one wants to get into the field.

Efan wrote:
P.S. I'm also interested in the medical field, can you give a 15 year-old some pointers on succeeding in the science world? O.o

MD? Then you'll need all-A's. That's a minimum. Even if you are looking for a MS/PhD path, having good grades is always a good start, and you can't change your grades in the future by taking tests multiple times (SAT, MCAT, GRE, etc.) and pick the best one. Once you graduate, that score will follow you for your life.

I once thought that Western professors would prefer more on working experience and performance rather than grades of lecture classes. I couldn't be more wrong. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Efan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:56 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

Efan wrote:

MD? Then you'll need all-A's. That's a minimum. Even if you are looking for a MS/PhD path, having good grades is always a good start, and you can't change your grades in the future by taking tests multiple times (SAT, MCAT, GRE, etc.) and pick the best one. Once you graduate, that score will follow you for your life.

I once thought that Western professors would prefer more on working experience and performance rather than grades of lecture classes. I couldn't be more wrong. Rolling Eyes

Damn... that's all i have to say. My grades arn't exactly great, but i know i can pick up if i only stopped slacking off... ohh well, back on topic now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3