• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
End of Evangelion+Death and Rebirth

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vampirelord

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:02 am Reply with quote
Ok, firstly I apologize if there was already a topic of this kind.

I was wondering if I should buy the EoE+D&R boxed set. I finished watching the platinum collections of the series, and there were some things in it I really liked. However, there were many questions I thought were left unanswered, or some aspects of the series that were weak, for example, parts of the ending. I quite liked it, but at times wish it was different.

My main questions are;
1) What are your opinions on the 2 movies? Did you like them/hate them and why?
2) For a fan of the series or someone who liked the series, what are the 2 movies like? What I mean is do they take the best points of the series and improve on them, or do they fail in comparison to the series?
3) Should I buy the boxed set? I will remind you I really liked the aspects of NGE that made me think, but I did think that there were weak points in the story, which I thought were "trying" to be obscure.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:14 am Reply with quote
Use the Forum Search if you think there might be other posts on a topic--and especially with Evangelion, there usually are:

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20826
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20593
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20402
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20211
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=19900
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18269
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15491
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10365

All of these were found with a search for "end evangelion death rebirth".

I think the boxed set is worth buying, though I haven't actually watched Death & Rebirth yet. End of Evangelion provides a more-action packed series of events in place of TV eps 25-26--I liked it well enough, though I didn't dislike the TV ending either.
Ucnslowdnce

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:58 am Reply with quote
I'd say the box set is worth it alone if you're a completionist. If not, then I still say it's worth it.

Death and Rebirth - Two parts. Death is a summary of the important events in the series up until the end of episode 24. Nothing really new to see here other than the fact that it's in widescreen and some of the DC footage is in there. For a person like me, this is good, because I forget little things. Going into the next movie is slightly easier after watching this. Rebirth is basically the first third of End of Eva...I'd say this is the redundant part of Death and Rebirth rather than the recap piece. But hell, I'd say the ending credits and song of Death alone is reason to watch Death and Rebirth. It makes the end of episode 24 feel more meaningful even if they're just credits. I liked this other than the fact that you watch the beginning of End of Evangelion twice if you don't decide to stop the movie after the Death segment.

End of Evangelion - This is pretty much mandatory if you're not satisfied with the series ending. It sort of coincides with the series ending anyway. You have your Evas, and you have your characters, but the feel here is way different than the feel the series gave off. Epic is the only word I can say. The last fourth of the movie is psychedlic, but not in the same sense the end of the series was. The movie doesn't really clear up much, and actually leads to even more questions, but that's not to say it doesn't clear up anything at all. It can turn out that you might get frustrated with it, but the animation alone should at least keep you happy. The movie is gorgeous for the most part.

All in all, I think the set is a worthy buy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1