• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ADV ABANDONING MANGA?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
freshkazuki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:40 am Reply with quote
I was just looking at the new Anime Insider for the month of July and as I was looking at the manga releases for this month I noticed something strange. ADV did not have any manga at all coming out. Nil, nada, zero! The last manga I bought from them was Cromartie High, and even that cost a dollar more than usual. I wonder if they're going to get out of the manga business altogether. And these periodic blow-out sales they're having at their website on anime and manga....are they going bankrupt? I don't know, it just doesn't look good for them. I hope all they are doing is downsizing.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:58 am Reply with quote
You and your "The Sky is Falling" type alarmist worries. ADV Manga opened up during a time when several other companies started up and flooded the market with manga. ADV had to cut down on its manga staff because of this, and they are slowing down on their production of manga. They are not closing down or anything, and there was news about this previously.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
RedComet

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:03 am Reply with quote
I find it funny that you trust Anime Insider about manga releases when there is a FMP volume coming out at the end of this month.
freshkazuki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:54 am Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
You and your "The Sky is Falling" type alarmist worries. .

I have read the news lately about ADV, but I was surprised at the extent of the "slowdown". I may be alarmist but would it be alarmist if you went down to the multiplex and instead of 15 movies, there was only one movie showing on one screen? Or would you think a car company was in healthy shape if they went from producing 15 models down to just one? Maybe I'm wrong about ADV, but they also seem to be the only animes in Best Buy to be cut down to $6.99 to get them off the shelf. I HOPE I am wrong. I'm not saying the sky is falling, but I AM saying that from the indicators, I think ADV is in worse shape than they admit.
cell21

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:32 pm Reply with quote
ADV manga is one of the slowest companies to release their manga,but i think their quality in translating is really good compared to Tokyopop and Del Rey.I'm still waiting for Ray volume 3 and Full Metal Panic volume 8.
molloaggie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:07 pm Reply with quote
ADV has already admitted during cons that they got in over their heads by over-estimating the manga market. They said they were going to concentrate on releasing titles relevant to the anime titles they were releasing. Therefore, I'm happily getting Chrono Crusade but can't get hold of Desert Coral or Your and My Secret anymore.

I've noticed that ADV has actually SPED UP their releases of Chrono Crusade. Volume 5 was released 10 weeks after vol. 4 and vol. 6 is due out in 8 weeks. Yippee!
apple pro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:25 pm Reply with quote
i am glad all i buy from them is Aria.

but those bleepity bleeps are jerks because they bought up licences that others could have done something with.
freshkazuki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:34 pm Reply with quote
apple pro wrote:
i am glad all i buy from them is Aria.

but those bleepity bleeps are jerks because they bought up licences that others could have done something with.

Well, maybe they will sell the rights to another manga company. Or maybe they'll get back into more publishing with a little more wisdom. As for now, the only thing they have coming out in July is Full Metal Panic 8 and Notenki Memoirs. It's a real shame because I like a lot of their titles. That's going to leave a lot of holes in people's manga reading. It looks like Viz and Tokyopop are putting out just as much as before.

And Aria is a good series. That manga just has a aura of peacefulness around it when you read it. Isn't there an anime of it in development in Japan?
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Well, I have been waiting some time for Peacemaker Kurogane Vol. 4.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
molloaggie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:32 am Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
Well, I have been waiting some time for Peacemaker Kurogane Vol. 4.

Maybe they are holding that title off until the dvds end. It's my understanding that Kurogane starts where the anime ends so it would have been more logical to do sell it later in the first place.
biliano

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:07 am Reply with quote
If you click here, you will see a list of upcoming releases arranged by distributor. AD Vision has very few releases that were officially announced for the rest of this year, but given their recent problems and their slow nature in announcing release dates, that was expected.
Nani?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:43 am Reply with quote
molloaggie wrote:
ADV has already admitted during cons that they got in over their heads by over-estimating the manga market. They said they were going to concentrate on releasing titles relevant to the anime titles they were releasing. Therefore, I'm happily getting Chrono Crusade but can't get hold of Desert Coral or Your and My Secret anymore.

I'm floored at ADV dropping stuff like Your and My Secret or going a year between Gunslinger Girl releases. Yes, they got over thier head, understandable, excusable.
What is not excusable is they are sitting on those titles, leaving fans wondering what will happen next and no way of knowing exept becoming fluent in Japanese.
If they were to transfer the rights to another company or do something really magnanimous or creative (tell scantalators we won't sue you for copyright infringment--we screwed up and are taking responsiblty--never will happen nice fantasy). Of course the lawyers and bean counters would never allow such a thing.

How about a simple apology.

As it is, I'm floored. I WILL NEVER BUY A ADV TITLE FIRSTHAND/NEW, EITHER ANIME OR MANGA, AGAIN AND I ENCOURAGE OTHERS TO DO THE SAME.

In comparision, imagine if Fellowship of Ring had failed at the boxoffice and the Studio never released Two Towers or Return of the King. Fans would be disapionted. They'd understand it being in fewer theatres, not as much hype etc. But not to get it is really annoying.

A another (not quite exact, I admit, pretty close though) analogy is paying for sex and only getting foreplay. It seems ADV as a company doesn't have the honor of a common prostitute.

On that happy note, All the Best,

Nani?
DSchneider

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:21 pm Reply with quote
ADV has already said that they are going to focus on those titles they also have the DVD license for, so it's no surprise Cromartie, Chrno Crusade, and FMP will see more frequent releases than Gunslinger Girl, which they only have the manga.

I wouldn't call them names for obtaining licenses to titles and then later realizing that the demand wasn't there. Sometimes that happens. And ADV isn't the only one having a problem. Last time I checked Del Rey pushed back some titles as well. Hell Basilisk has been liscensed for awhile now and there is still no release date. Boo! Hiss!

Is it any wonder why ADV and Del Rey have pushed titles back or dropped them when Tokyopop and Viz continuously pump out titles every month, flooding the market, and new companies continue to pop up trying to get a piece of the market?

I like ADV, Del Rey, and Viz. I think they do a much better job on each title compared to Tokyopop or CMX. If the slow down lets Del Rey and ADV continue to produce the same quality but with fewer titles, I'm happy.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:13 am Reply with quote
I saw ADV's Gunslinger Girl Vol. 3 at Comic-con, which scared the hell out of me because it had only been a couple of months since Vol. 2.
molloaggie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
I saw ADV's Gunslinger Girl Vol. 3 at Comic-con, which scared the hell out of me because it had only been a couple of months since Vol. 2.

OH my goodness, you made me laugh. Very Happy I guess it's because I had the exact same feeling too when I saw vol. 3 on the bookshelf. It was definitely a "what the..." moment.

But seeing ADV continue a series a year and a half after releasing vol. 1 gives me hope that they will eventually continue their other hiatus series. Not that I'm expecting them anytime in the NEAR future...
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2