• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Otaku Express Tour Group

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yoda117

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 2:31 pm Reply with quote
If I remember correctly, didn't Otakon already state that these guys couldn't purchase bulk entries.

I know that they've already come out an stated that they were in no way associated with this group, but I thought that the additional comment was also made.

Either way, this year's Otakon is going to be bursting at the seams with people now that they've raised their cap to 25K.
dokool

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 2:37 pm Reply with quote
They announced a similar thing with Anime Boston, which PatrickD denounced as being, well, not true.

http://www.anime-cons.com/news/article.shtml/308
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Cassandra

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, here's Otakon's response to them:

http://www.otakon.com/news_article.asp?id=186
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Yoda117

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Someone ought to get these two crazy kids together and see what happens Laughing

So... anyone else expecting drama at Otakon due to this?
nushana

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:40 pm Reply with quote
it's too bad, too, 'cause it's a great idea.
hikura

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Yes this a good idea overall but most if not all the cons do not allow the package deals when it comes to the registration.I wouldn't mind doing this for otakon but this is a scam since otakon doesn't and isn't doing this.
jvowles
Otakon Representative

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:17 am Reply with quote
Please note that they are specifically NOT offering any special con "ticket" deal for Otakon -- they're putting together a travel, room, and board deal, and they can assist you in getting registered. (For example, if you lack a credit card, they can handle the payment part for you.)

Bullet Bikes is NOT scamming people, as far as I know. My take on it is this: They were trying to put together something really useful, but they made some promises that they hadn't cleared with either us or anime boston. Enthusiasm plus miscommunication = problems.

They were not the only ones making promises about "bypassing the lines" or including "tickets", and that's why I specifically didn't mention ANYONE in the statement I made about ticket scams. Otakon hasn't had "tickets" in at least 10 years -- and our memberships are not transferrable, and thus nobody can "buy in bulk" and "pass along the savings". The most they can do is help you pay for the registration (but anyone can do that). For example, kids with no credit cards could pay BB in cash, and BB could cover the payment online with their card to speed things along. But they are doing so on behalf of the member, not on behalf of Otakon or Otakorp, Inc. -- it's an important distinction, legally speaking.

Their "tour package" seems like a pretty good deal and may be very useful to people who are having trouble finding a room at a decent rate, or who don't have a lot of cash to throw around.

They're more than welcome to put together tours -- in fact, I'm glad people are doing this -- but they're not affiliated with us and they cannot act as a ticket agent (because we don't have tickets).

In fact, I think their website specifically mentions that they can do stuff for you if you've already registered, too.

Pre-registration for Otakon must take place via the Otakon website.

At any rate, I'll be interested to see how well this works out for them, and for the members who take them up on this offer.

-Jim Vowles
Con Chair for Otakon 2006
President, Otakorp, Inc.
Yoda117

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:00 pm Reply with quote
yes a comic/anime shop trying to do the work of a travel agency.

it will be interesting indeed

just so long as they're not at my hotel Laughing

That said, I would be interested in finding out how much they paid for hotel... this year I go for free, but it's good to know your options.
MJP

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:24 am Reply with quote
I live about five minutes away from Bullet Bikes and actually went to talk with the guy a while back. They're an established retail business with a real storefront and a hell of a selection. Plus they do game tournaments. Their big audience is school kids, but when I asked about the bus tours, they're very much serious about it. This was before this most recent press release.

It's right next to your friendly neighborhood comic book shop, too, so it's like a one-stop shopping trip. Anime smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1