• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Japanese Game Market Down 16% in 1st Half of 2011

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:32 pm Reply with quote
well still nearly half a million units sold that's really good for one country alone, epically with the prices in japan on games, but something happened a few months back so I think the Japanese people have more important things to spend money than games.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
well still nearly half a million units sold that's really good for one country alone, epically with the prices in japan on games, but something happened a few months back so I think the Japanese people have more important things to spend money than games.

Hasn't stopped anime from having some of the best sales in years the last few months. Its horrible and all, but people seem to forget it only really affected about 1-2% of the population. It really doesn't hurt overall sales. Kinda similar to like how Katrina in America didn't hurt overall sales for entertainment in all of America.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:48 pm Reply with quote
I am a little puzzled at what "Killer software" is supposed to be, but I'm one of those people who rarely buys videogames anyway. I am saving up for a PS3 though.
Hawkwing

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Oh my god, 16%!? Shocked
reanimator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:59 pm Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
I am a little puzzled at what "Killer software" is supposed to be, but I'm one of those people who rarely buys videogames anyway. I am saving up for a PS3 though.

I think "Killer software" is a lingo for some kind of innovative game.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Remember the phrase "killer app"? In this case I think it means a game seen as pre-emininent in its genre, that anyone would feel required to buy, and that would even drive additional sales of the hardware.
Haterater

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Some examples of the "Killer software" is the stuff like Final Fantasy, Mario, Pokemon, etc that usually sells pretty high.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Ah, I see, yeah, there hasn't been Japanese games that have looked good recently anyway.
toyNN

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:24 pm Reply with quote
They do love their Monster Hunter - 4+ million units sold doesn't qualify as a "killer" title?
Haterater

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:26 am Reply with quote
It counts, but Famitsu said "lack of Killer Software" in the beginning of the year. Famistu just wanted more of the killer software to erase that market downturn. Just one isn't going to do in this case.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1