• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Toriko (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:35 am Reply with quote

Toriko (TV)

Genres: action, comedy, fantasy
Themes: cooking

Plot Summary: In a world where the taste and texture of food is extremely important there exist individuals known as Bishoku-ya (luxury food providers) who specialize in the acquisition of rare ingredients and animals. Toriko is one of these hunters and it is his dream to find the most precious foods in the world and create the ultimate dinner course. As one of the most skilled hunters in the world he is regularly hired by restaurants and the rich to seek out new ingredients and rare animals. A man with inhuman ability, he utilizes his incredible strength and knowledge of the animal kingdom to capture ferocious, evasive and rare beasts to further his final goal, the ultimate dinner course composed of the most delicious food in the world. He is currently accompanied by a weak and timid chef who, inspired by Toriko's ambition, travels with him to improve his culinary skills and find rare ingredients.
----------------------------------

so I've noticed there's not alot of discussions going on about this show compared to others and I'm wondering why.

I've been keeping up with it cause i like giving shows a fair chance and i gotta say the recent Battle wolf storyline pretty much convinced me to stick with this show. it also helps that the fights are pretty exciting.

anyways anyone else been following this show? what are your thoughts?
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:04 am Reply with quote
I tried and failed. The way the main protagonist behaves seeing food resembles me bulimic episodes. I can watch shows about eating, but not gobbling.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:41 am Reply with quote
Greed is legal.

I'm enjoying it so far. I have absolutely no problem with healthy people eating a lot. Actually, as presented in the latest episode, it's been said that Toriko is far from a normal person, and apparently eating rare food makes him stronger.

My only issue with the show is the power balance. Very unstable so far.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:51 pm Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
so I've noticed there's not alot of discussions going on about this show compared to others and I'm wondering why.

Because there's not much to talk about, really. It's pretty basic Shonen Jump action/adventure. It's still mainly in the early stages where it's establishing the setting, characters, and major conflict, so it's a little too early for much speculation. Also, while it might be a little harsh to call the characters stereotypes, none of them stand out as a unique interpretation of, well, anything. It's kind of a fun show, but in a way that requires absolutely no complex thinking whatsoever.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:05 am Reply with quote
For long years Naruto was by war the worst animated anime among nearly four hundred titles I watched. It was consistently bad for too many episodes with faces of characters being crooked randomly all the time.

But Toriko's 61st episode achieved what I thought was already impossible: to make my eyebrows raising in disbelief.

Not only faces of characters in this episode changed every other second and body proportions were weird, but even basic symmetry principles got completely cancelled. Not to Picasso point, but not far off.

I mean I am really, really impressed. I thought that animators already hit the bottom, but now they cracked it and fell through to the hell. I can not believe what I have seen.

So the question is -- is this really anime that holds second place after OP in the viewing audience (among "normal" anime, of course, not Sazae-san type)? What happened to the budget? Did Shimabukuro (mangaka) survive this abuse of his characters?
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:15 am Reply with quote
I enjoy it because it's so bad. It maintains a consistence in bad quality throughout episodes.

Besides, it's far from second place. I don't know why I'm still watching it; must be because it makes me hungry.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:43 am Reply with quote
It could be bad through the whole series, but it became much worse in the latest episodes. I can not get myself to enjoy this, though, since watching it is liking entering "crooked mirrors" park amusement.

As to second place, I meant besides shows which go forever or smaller children ones like Pocket Monsters.

Anyway, now Naruto (Shippuden) has better animation -- the phrase that I thought is impossible.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:44 am Reply with quote
Ah, if you're going by that, then Detective Conan should count, therefore it's third.

Anyway, Toriko is still fresh in comparison to Naruto. But even so, I'd say the only thing really keeping it alive is all the food.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Horrible Christmas episode (random points):
spoiler[1. Why they push traditions that have nothing to do with Japanese culture?

2. And, more importantly, IGO only feeds children once per year. Considering the state of the poor countries, you can only guess how many children die of hunger in-between.

3. If Sunny would be as perfection-focused as he is depicted, then he would consider his hair-abilities creepy and would rather seclude himself somewhere in despair.]
Pablo_Equis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia said:
Quote:
It's kind of a fun show, but in a way that requires absolutely no complex thinking whatsoever.

Well, there is ONE aspect of this show that has had me thinking since its inception.

Toriko possesses a unique ethical dilemma, one that arises early in the story and is seemingly addressed as it is simultaneously ignored. The problem arises from the different characters' philosophies on killing [animals]. Toriko himself, as well as Komatsu, believe that it's alright to kill the beasts of their world if the goal is ultimately to eat their flesh. This is not, I should stress, because they MUST eat the flesh of the creatures; there exists in that world what looks to be an abundance of food so extravagant that the flora and fauna are at times indistinguishable. One [normal person] could survive in Toriko's world seemingly off of the flora alone without suffering the least bit of protein deficiency [assuming that a world in which gourmet cells exist is similar enough to our own, which this story has shown to be true].

Let's forget about the obvious inconsistencies in that world's nature, be it the two-headed or two-mouthed beasts, the physics that absolutely cannot work, etc. The dilemma lies here: If it's okay to kill animals simply because they taste good, then why bother with the practice of knocking? Also, in this way, what exactly distinguishes the antagonists from Toriko and Komatsu and their practices?

There is starvation in Toriko's world, a fact alluded to by a few characters along the way, but it's impossible to understand how. This fact makes the killing of animals on some level a plausibly necessary act. Also, the Bishokukai kidnap people and make them subservient to their cause. This may be what ultimately makes them bad guys in this show, although I could point out instance after instance wherein Toriko brought Komatsu with him on hilariously perilous adventures and held back valuable information from Komatsu about the inherent danger involved. I won't outright say that Toriko enslaved Komatsu, but there were times when Komatsu had to do things directly against his will that could have killed him. Who is the bad guy indeed.

As to why no one's making any noise about this show, my opinion is that this show is aimed at a demographic far younger than one might expect. If I was 9 or 10, I imagine Toriko would be the best thing I had ever seen so far in my life. Giant monsters getting their butt kicked by big, muscular superheroes that drag a little wimpy guy around whose pain is hilarious? Oh yes, I'd have a Toriko action figure collection, and I'd be asking my mom to make me ridiculous, impossible food made from ingredients that don't exist. It doesn't have to be any more difficult than that. I'm watching the show because it's a lot of fun AND because I'm a cook [the show's take on the world of cuisine and of cooking is really great], but I'm a little annoyed at the filler episodes. Beyond terrible.

However, Dorcas_Aurelia, in your defense, one could probably extract a philosophical conundrum from any show aimed at a young audience. Don't get me started on Pokemon, for example, and man's dominion, hatred, and subjugation of God and nature.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:15 pm Reply with quote
So, does anyone know if there is chance for Toriko to continue at least as an OVA?

Or it has ended for real, just like Gash Bell, Reborn, and many other good anime that were just dropped dead after continuing for super long?
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:32 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
So, does anyone know if there is chance for Toriko to continue at least as an OVA?

Or it has ended for real, just like Gash Bell, Reborn, and many other good anime that were just dropped dead after continuing for super long?

It has most likely ended for real. The Toriko anime diverged wildly from the manga at the end, such that they'd have to somehow retcon the last few episodes to have the ability to pick back up with following the manga.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:32 am Reply with quote
Thanks, it is annoying then.

I prefer anime, but I had to read manga to know the end of Gash Bell, and I have in the plans to do the same for Reborn!, Kekkaishi and D.Gray-Man (though the latter has not ended yet, it is on hiatus or something). I had to read Hunter X Hunter manga before anime was restarted. Though the manga is drawn so slowly that I am not sure that it will be ever completed, let alone the anime (author works in mode like few months of manga and then few years of break).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1