• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga shrink wrapped

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:41 am Reply with quote
was shooping for some manga last nite and noticed the some of Tokyopop's 18+ manga was shrink wrapped. this is new because their earlier 18+ manga wasn't wrapped. I like it. It keeps little kids from seeing things they shouldn't and it gives just alittle bit of protection to the manga. I hate it when you buy manga and the cover is slightly scratched or the pages are bent. Hopefully other manga companies will follow.
radicaledward

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I've been seeing more of this in shops that carry comic's, and collectables as well.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I guess it depends om what made it 18+. Mature themes vs Grahpic sex/violence.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 2:36 pm Reply with quote
yeah, but i got vol. 1 of battle royale, 18+, not shrink wrapped, and it def. had very graphic images of sex and violence and I noticed that vol. 2 was shrink wrapped. maybe they had complaints or something, but vol. 1 def. should have been wrapped.
BrianC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Alot of people will kill me for saying this, but I wish the Lupin III manga was shrinkwrapped too. MUCH racier than the anime. I'm happy to see the MA manga shrinkwrapped too. That stuff is not for children.
Mreow

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I remember reading that some of the new Dark Horse titles will be shrink wrapped. Berserk was one of them if I'm not mistaken.

(_//=^_^=\\_)

Mreow
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Mreow wrote:
I remember reading that some of the new Dark Horse titles will be shrink wrapped. Berserk was one of them if I'm not mistaken.

I hope that's true. That manga def. needs to be wrapped so no little kiddies see stuff that they are not supposed to!!!
molloaggie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I haven't seen any of this shrink-wrapped manga yet. I wonder if my local anime shop decided to take it off. It's not like 10yr olds come in there often.
Zenitram

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 8:42 pm Reply with quote
All graphic novels being shrink-wraped would be good. Besides keeping certian ones from kids, like previously said it protects them. Most videogame magazines I see are shrink-wraped on the shelf, because people (most likely little kids) look through them and bend/rip pages.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Brian: "Alot of people will kill me for saying this, but I wish the Lupin III manga was shrinkwrapped too. MUCH racier than the anime."

Sometimes I'm surprised it only got a 16+ myself.

Zenitram: "All graphic novels being shrink-wraped would be good. Besides keeping certian ones from kids, like previously said it protects them."

It's pointless, because if kids can still buy them, then they'll see them eventually anyway. They'd have to slap an 18+ on all manga to keep kids away.

"Most videogame magazines I see are shrink-wraped on the shelf, because people (most likely little kids) look through them and bend/rip pages."

Most game magazines are shrink-wrapped because companies like Ziff Davis try to hide the fact that each issue consists of 60% advertising, and 40% actual content.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 1:45 am Reply with quote
hell even with the 18 plus I've never seen anyone carded for buying manga ..except for Hentai
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
BERSERK EVA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 12:24 am Reply with quote
I think it was bound to happen. But i think its for the best. For manga collectors it helps protect the manga, and I've have a problem with people just going into stores and reading them right there and then. The spines of the books then get all used and creased. I like my things brand new and hardly touched. On the other hand it helps kids who shouldn't be looking at certain things from looking. So it helps on both hands.
king_micah

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 11:06 am Reply with quote
Many Asian bookstores have all manga and magazines in the rap so that people can't hurt them and have to buy in order to know more.
I don't know if it works, but it seems to be a standard practice at several stores I know.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1