• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Viz Named U.S. Licensor of Hatsune Miku Merchandise

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nokishoff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Retracted

Last edited by nokishoff on Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
minakichan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Cool, I'd love to see Vocaloid merchandise that doesn't actually cost an arm and a leg, even if it's a bit lower in quality.
Thunderbird-

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Just Miku? Not Kagamine Rin or Yuki Kaai? *sigh* Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
championferret

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:07 pm Reply with quote
sigh. all of my rage, etc.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Is it me, or has Viz been more interested in licensing things for merchandise than actually licensing the stuff they come from? I mean they announced the Tiger & Bunny merchandise license ahead of a home release of the anime, and now Miku Merchandise on its own. Kinda unusual direction from Viz. They've always been good about merchandise, but right now they seem more focused on it than ever.

Not that I mind, I look forward to some cheap Miku Hatsune merch.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Scormio

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Now I won't have to pay import fees for my Miku stuff Very Happy

Last edited by Scormio on Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:54 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how many merchandisers will actually take the license (jail) bait.... Laughing
(Good luck convincing retail store managers to stock 'em....)
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Sweet I so what to get some Miku stuff I hope I can get a t-shirt soon
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:24 am Reply with quote
We already have something like this in the Americas. They're called the Gorillaz. Rolling Eyes

Still, it is pretty interesting that Viz is going for merchandising rights long before home releases. Perhaps it indicates that the real money is in merchandise and they feel they need to turn a profit before they can release some series?
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:02 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
I wonder how many merchandisers will actually take the license (jail) bait.... Laughing

Retail stores, in the real world, that sell anime merchandise? Does such a thing still exist offline and outside of anime conventions? There's no shortage of places to sell this stuff online, it'll find its market easily.

Emerje
monkeyshinobi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:15 am Reply with quote
Miku! Finally, but what about the rest of the vocaloid characters? D: I wonder if they can actually sell the software for vocaloid also
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:26 am Reply with quote
monkeyshinobi wrote:
Miku! Finally, but what about the rest of the vocaloid characters? D: I wonder if they can actually sell the software for vocaloid also
I think this indicates also that we'll see merchandise related to other Vocaloid characters. Miku is sort of the spokesperson and face of Vocaloid in general, but there's lots of properties that are not directly related to the Vocaloid side of it like the video games, figures and other character goods.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:19 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Retail stores, in the real world, that sell anime merchandise? Does such a thing still exist offline and outside of anime conventions?

Well, that's why Viz is hawking it at the 2011 Licensing International Expo in Las Vegas. They'd want it to go beyond the cons and Hot Topic, and be more like the Pokemons and the Yugiohs. Laughing
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:47 am Reply with quote
I'm sure they'd like to, but it won't happen without something to push it. Maybe the iTunes songs and YouTube are enough, but something big would really push it over like an English release of one of the video games.

As for what's likely to get Miku's face plastered on it I could see her on some T-shirts, especially those "vintage" ones that are popular at department stores these days. Anything else would make for a hard sell to the non-usual retailers of this kind of stuff.

Emerje
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:31 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

As for what's likely to get Miku's face plastered on it I could see her on some T-shirts, especially those "vintage" ones that are popular at department stores these days. Anything else would make for a hard sell to the non-usual retailers of this kind of stuff.

Stickers! With the leek!

Maybe take the Domo route...
Whatever happened to that campaign anyways...? Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2