• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Makoto Shinkai's Studio Recruits Background Art Interns

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polly E.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I always want to eat the backgrounds in their films because they look so tasty. Sometimes those visuals are enough to make me forget it's another sad teenagers in love story.
kenkena0

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Polly E. wrote:
I always want to eat the backgrounds in their films because they look so tasty. Sometimes those visuals are enough to make me forget it's another sad teenagers in love story.

are you being cynical?
cyberbeing

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:00 pm Reply with quote
If anything, Makoto Shinkai needs to intern some Character Designers and Key Animators which can raise the art quality of cast to blend well with the already amazing backgrounds. After only a few minutes in, watching The Place Promised in Our Early Days (1080p) with a non-anime fan a few years ago, I was asked, "Why are the characters drawn so poorly? The backgrounds are nice, but the low detailed character designs don't fit in at all and feel out of place. If they have the skill to make such nice backgrounds, why didn't they draw the characters with a similar level of quality?"

I personally don't mind, and like his works just how they are, but I can see how some people would take issue with the stark contrast between the quality of characters and backgrounds in his works. Something he needs to work on if he wants to gain broader appeal.
Annblob

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I would love to do this. Since about a year ago I've noticed so many Shinkai-inspired skies pop up in art on the internet. Those backgrounds are so beautiful.
hunterLanda

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know what software they use for the BGs?
xBTAx

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:07 pm Reply with quote
cyberbeing wrote:
If anything, Makoto Shinkai needs to intern some Character Designers and Key Animators which can raise the art quality of cast to blend well with the already amazing backgrounds. After only a few minutes in, watching The Place Promised in Our Early Days (1080p) with a non-anime fan a few years ago, I was asked, "Why are the characters drawn so poorly? The backgrounds are nice, but the low detailed character designs don't fit in at all and feel out of place. If they have the skill to make such nice backgrounds, why didn't they draw the characters with a similar level of quality?"

I personally don't mind, and like his works just how they are, but I can see how some people would take issue with the stark contrast between the quality of characters and backgrounds in his works. Something he needs to work on if he wants to gain broader appeal.

I kinda agree, but he's definitely improved them in every movie he's made, and given what I've seen in trailers for Children who Chase Lost Voices from Deep Below, it might not even be a problem anymore.
Faiga_Raisa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:45 am Reply with quote
cyberbeing wrote:

I second this.

If they could combine forces. Dear god, our anime worlds would be blown away.
reanimator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:33 am Reply with quote
cyberbeing wrote:

Yeah. Even though he had help from Ex-Disney Japan animators, his weakness is still character design. When I watched "Voice of Distant Star", he is subconsciously following ever popular under-designed aspect of Japanese character design. However, I do think that his character animation improved dramatically as he moved from one film to the next.

Your friend could see the stark contrast because his BG has strong photographic elements. His animated characters lack realistic elements that you can see from photos. Other than colors, it's the lack of design unity.

Quote:
The application notes that applicants must be "around 25 years old or younger"

This is something that I don't like about Japanese work environment. Blatant age bias and assumed work experience based on age level rather than actual experience and quality portfolio.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:49 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
Quote:
The application notes that applicants must be "around 25 years old or younger"

This is something that I don't like about Japanese work environment. Blatant age bias and assumed work experience based on age level rather than actual experience and quality portfolio.

That might be an important complaint in other cases, but restrictions like that don't seem so inappropriate for an internship that is presumably meant to provide training and experience for otherwise relative novices.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1