• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gedo Senki Back at #1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:14 pm Reply with quote
I guess if the Japanese are going to see a half-assed adaptation, they might as well go for one which is home-made. Rolling Eyes
ChichiriMuyo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:14 am Reply with quote
Have you seen Gedo Senki? It seems people actually like the movie. I find it hard to beleive they'd still be going to see it a month later if they didn't.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:59 am Reply with quote
ChichiriMuyo wrote:
Have you seen Gedo Senki? It seems people actually like the movie. I find it hard to beleive they'd still be going to see it a month later if they didn't.

Haven't personally seen the movie but part of the reason could be because it's a Ghibli movie.....which is the cream of the crop when it comes to animation.

It's kind of like how often times I will see a movie because of the setting/era (actors/actresses) even if the movies has been getting bad reviews....

Then again maybe it's actually good, I can't wait to see this in Theaters next year.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
Dernhelm

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:50 am Reply with quote
wow. way to go Goro. "the little engine that could." Wink
Ranmah

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:48 am Reply with quote
I watched a few weeks ago.

I highly recommend you folks watch it. The girl who does Teru voice is pretty good.

The story is slightly confusing, but the visuals kept me interested.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tripperdan99

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Has this been licensed in the USA? Or does Disney get to "convert" all Studio Ghibli's work? If Disney does it, I know it'll be great given how they've done the previous Ghibli titles. Just not sure of the licensing agreement they have between each other.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:07 pm Reply with quote
tripperdan99 wrote:
Has this been licensed in the USA? Or does Disney get to "convert" all Studio Ghibli's work? If Disney does it, I know it'll be great given how they've done the previous Ghibli titles. Just not sure of the licensing agreement they have between each other.

I thought that Ghibli and Disney have a deal already for all works produced by the company....or maybe that is just for Hayao. But But according to the Encyclopedia it isn't licensed (lack of Bold title) or the encyclopedia hasn't been updated.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Disney had a stake in all future films produced by Ghibli after Mononoke. Those which were licensed so far included Howl, Spirited Away, the Yamadas and Cat Returns. I'd imagine that Disney would want some more of the same dvd revenue they made off of Howl, even if it only did so-so in theaters, so I'm guessing they've licensed Gedo Senkai too.
animecrzy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:34 pm Reply with quote
http://www.scifi.com/earthsea/cast/ged/
Something I would just like to point out...
Shale

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:53 pm Reply with quote
tripperdan99 wrote:

According to LeGuin, another company (Sci-Fi?) has the US film rights to Earthsea until 2009, so we won't see Gedo Senki on this side of the Pacific until then at the earliest.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1