• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Ends Swapnote 3DS Message Sharing with SpotPass

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kokoroanime

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:15 am Reply with quote
I heard of it yesterday and I don't use it that much.

Maybe they ended it in favor of trying to get the oversea release date for Flipnote 3D and MiiVerse for 3DS.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:17 am Reply with quote
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Crying or Very sad Why do people have ruin it for everyone!?
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:40 am Reply with quote
I'm torn on this. On the one hand, you have (reportedly), obscene photos being sent to minors. On the other, you have both the app itself saying not to send naughty things (warning you as the sender), as well as the note about the ESRB rating not covering online interaction (warning you as the receiver).

Reading some forum threads, as well as the outrage on my twitter feed, I've noticed some major concerns/problems/points with this:

1) Not only does this disable you from sending messages to your friends, but it stops you from receiving special messages from Nintendo itself regarding new games and such (I only got the LBW one, but I thought it was cool).

2) Nintendo has now removed the only way to send a message through the system to your friends.

3) The "replacement" apps (Miiverse and... forgot the other one that's been brought up) a) have no ETA for release, and b) are not free apps like Swapnote is/was.

4) Only SpotPass messages have been disabled. You can still get StreetPass messages (not that I know how to do that). Which are from random strangers, and could be just as bad, if not worse, than what your friends are sending you.

Of all the suggestions/alternate solutions I've seen, these are the most reasonable that I've seen:

1) Allow for parental controls when a) adding friends and/or b) receiving/checking SwapNotes. Parents would be able to lock their minor's system from doing things that potentially would be harmful without them vetting it first.

2) Ditch the "friend code" system (a carry over from the DS when everything was on a per-game basis), and set up accounts the same way that Sony and Microsoft have done with the PSN and XBL. Minors' accounts would automatically be flagged to require parental approval for certain activities.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:19 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
I'm torn on this. On the one hand, you have (reportedly), obscene photos being sent to minors. On the other, you have both the app itself saying not to send naughty things (warning you as the sender), as well as the note about the ESRB rating not covering online interaction (warning you as the receiver).

Reading some forum threads, as well as the outrage on my twitter feed, I've noticed some major concerns/problems/points with this:

1) Not only does this disable you from sending messages to your friends, but it stops you from receiving special messages from Nintendo itself regarding new games and such (I only got the LBW one, but I thought it was cool).

2) Nintendo has now removed the only way to send a message through the system to your friends.

3) The "replacement" apps (Miiverse and... forgot the other one that's been brought up) a) have no ETA for release, and b) are not free apps like Swapnote is/was.

4) Only SpotPass messages have been disabled. You can still get StreetPass messages (not that I know how to do that). Which are from random strangers, and could be just as bad, if not worse, than what your friends are sending you.

Of all the suggestions/alternate solutions I've seen, these are the most reasonable that I've seen:

1) Allow for parental controls when a) adding friends and/or b) receiving/checking SwapNotes. Parents would be able to lock their minor's system from doing things that potentially would be harmful without them vetting it first.

2) Ditch the "friend code" system (a carry over from the DS when everything was on a per-game basis), and set up accounts the same way that Sony and Microsoft have done with the PSN and XBL. Minors' accounts would automatically be flagged to require parental approval for certain activities.

Miiverse will be free when it launches on the 3DS, just like it is for Wii U. Honestly, once it launches, there won't be a need for Letter Box anyway.

In regards to ditching the Friend Code system, you'll just have people exchanging their account names online instead of Friend Codes.

With parental controls, Letter Box needed to be manually installed from the Nintendo eShop first and there are already strict parental controls available for eShop content. So really, it all falls down on parents not doing their jobs properly if their kids are able to exchange their information to strangers randomly online.
ShaunHastings

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:29 am Reply with quote
This came a bit out of nowhere, but to be honest I found the SwapNote system completely non-functional for sending messages to friends anyway. Any messages I sent to friends were never received and the same for friends sending them to me.
TheSeventhSense

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Um, excuse me what. Nintendo needs to get over themselves and stop freaking out over the kiddies' safety; no one likes someone who pulls the entire plug on something because Johnny from California sent a naked picture around to his friends.

And PLEASE add an easier way for friends to chat on Nintendo devices. Again, shut up about the kiddies; if they want to chat with strangers they'll just go on Omegle, so you can't really stop them.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:35 am Reply with quote
ShaunHastings wrote:
This came a bit out of nowhere, but to be honest I found the SwapNote system completely non-functional for sending messages to friends anyway. Any messages I sent to friends were never received and the same for friends sending them to me.
This I agree with and understand completely.

No less, the Internet (where most of these friend codes come from) itself is worse than this system. Heck, I could post images of penises right now if I wanted to. The problem isn't so much that it isn't monitored but the controversy created knowing the friend codes' origins. It keeps feeling like Nintendo continues pushing towards a larger demographic but this just pulls all of those superstitions back.

I don't know what to say. I don't use these features to often (not even on my PS3 for that matter) but I know a lot of people that do. Guess the squeaky clean image is all that matters for Nintendo. So have we gotten a release date for Senran Kagura Burst yet?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1