• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Non Non Biyori Producer: Year-End Announcement Might Be Made

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:58 pm Reply with quote
An year end announcement? Another season maybe? I wonder.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:49 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
An year end announcement? Another season maybe? I wonder.
i dont see how well a movie would work for this show, so im guessing a s2
Lucy_Nyuu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:58 am Reply with quote
I can't get enough of Non Non Biyori anyways, i really hope for a second season, maybe already in Springseason.

28 hours 'till episode 6 airs on TV Tokyo... can't wait.

Only one thing left to say,

にゃんぱすー!

Nyanpasuu!
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:13 am Reply with quote
Article wrote:
Thanks to the popularity of the television anime, the six volumes of the manga are getting large reprint runs that will arrive in stores in Japan this month.

That's good, I was afraid the show wasn't doing so well in Japan but obviously it is. With such a positive and immediate response, I would be surprised if the year-end announcement wasn't about a second season. Maybe Summer 2014?
Rederoin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:07 am Reply with quote
Going by its amazon rankings, its doing rather good(its in the top 100 most of the time). But I doubt its a S2 announcement, announcing a S2 before they know how much profit they made is not that common.

I can always hope ofcourse.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:38 am Reply with quote
^
The Anime is just a commercial for the Manga. So if the Manga's sales are boosted by a lot because of the Anime then a second season announcement is not reliant on the profits of the Anime.
hpulley

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:48 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
The Anime is just a commercial for the Manga. So if the Manga's sales are boosted by a lot because of the Anime then a second season announcement is not reliant on the profits of the Anime.
Must have been the same feeling for Date a Live announcing it at the end of season 1 before the first volume of season 1 was even released for sale yet. Book sales are obviously more important for these companies.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:53 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^

Actually, that depends on who funds it. Its too early to tell how profitable the series is. Then again, by the end of the year the BD's will be released, so maybe they haven't fully decided on what they announce, yet.

Advertisement for the source is a huge part of it, but BD/DVD's and merch is also important. And a 2nd season won't boost the sales as much as the 1st season did, while the drop in BD sales will be lower.

To be fair, we don't know who profits the most from a 2nd season, so its all just speculation. Its doing good on amazon, so maybe they are just confident that it will do good, or the manga is selling a lot better now. Although we don't have access to those numbers.
danilo07

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:23 am Reply with quote
Quote:
To be fair, we don't know who profits the most from a 2nd season, so its all just speculation. Its doing good on amazon, so maybe they are just confident that it will do good, or the manga is selling a lot better now. Although we don't have access to those numbers.

From what I have heard in the best case scenario Non Non Biyori anime will sell around 5k,which really isnt enough to justify this reaction we are seeing.Keep in mind that Non Non Biyori is Kadokawa property,and we already had 2 shows with green lit second seasons before BD sales.What do all of those shows have in common?Their anime adaptations gave a substantial boost to the original material,and they are all owned by Kadokawa.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Chihayafuru sold abysmally (under three thousand from memory) and still got a second season. Merchandise is very important for certain series (especially those with lots of cute girls who get their own figurines). But at the end of the day, unless you have a blockbuster hit on your hands it is the impact on Manga sales that really determine whether a second season gets made.

One of the reasons why I think Non Non Biyori might get a second season is because there isn't anything else worth making an announcement for. It's not going to be a game, and because of the show's modest budget and niche appeal I'd be shocked if it was a movie. A one-off OVA is possible but hardly worth making a huge fuss over. That just leaves a second season.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Cool anther season would be nice but most likely it would be an ova
Lucy_Nyuu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:45 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
Cool anther season would be nice but most likely it would be an ova

No, too much noise for another OAD.

Remember, a Non Non Biyori OAD has already been announced on the 29th october.

It's been a news on the official site (here, http://www.nonnontv.com/news/) and has been announced in the January Comic Alive Magazine Issue.

http://www.mediafactory.co.jp/comic-alive/non-non-biyori/

What you can read on top reads "OAD greenlit after great response to the Anime".
hpulley

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:47 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Chihayafuru sold abysmally (under three thousand from memory) and still got a second season. Merchandise is very important for certain series (especially those with lots of cute girls who get their own figurines). But at the end of the day, unless you have a blockbuster hit on your hands it is the impact on Manga sales that really determine whether a second season gets made.

One of the reasons why I think Non Non Biyori might get a second season is because there isn't anything else worth making an announcement for. It's not going to be a game, and because of the show's modest budget and niche appeal I'd be shocked if it was a movie. A one-off OVA is possible but hardly worth making a huge fuss over. That just leaves a second season.
Chihayafuru didn't sell that badly, nearly 3000 is almost break even though the fact that it sells over 400K copies of each manga volume (probably even more than that reported amount) means as long as they feel the anime is bringing in new readers then an anime season once in a while is a good investment even if it doesn't break even on the discs.

A second season would be great but a movie could also work for a season like this. My first thought on seeing the first episode was that it reminded me of many of the nice feelings you get from anime movies, the countryside scenery, the sweet girls, if it had been made into a movie instead of an anime season I think it would have worked equally well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1