• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Battle Vixens (Ikki Tousen)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:27 pm Reply with quote
I know I may one of a select few who actually read this series and enjoy it but that's ok. It's one of my guilty little pleasures. Anyways, volume 8 came out a looonnnngggggg time ago. There is supposed to be a volume 9 (and more) yet nothing has come out and I've heard no news about it. Anybody have any idea if volume 9, and any after it, are ever going to come out?
Risk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Volume 9 is scheduled for this September and I saw it at a bookstore yesterday. My guess is that the series has finally caught up with the rate in Japan.
Hiei77

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like the same thing that is happening to Hellsing. By the way, is the manga really good or just average? Someone recently reccomended it to me, but im not sure...
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:49 pm Reply with quote
I think the manga is really good. Much much better then the show. Way more pot and character development. Be warned though, each volume seems to have more tit shots in them then the last and they edit less and less as it goes on. All things aside it does have a pretty good plot. The other cool part is there are brief references throughout the manga volumes on the historical history of the different people each character is supposed to be re-incarnated as. Helps mellow out the booby shots.
geishageek

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:52 am Reply with quote
Vol 9 is out but can only be found selectively. I just happened to come across it in Waldenbooks a few weeks ago. But I haven't seen another copy anywhere else.

I am a female who absolutely adores Battle Vixens. I think it has strong characters and awesome fight scenes. I feel it gets confusing at times (especially now since it took a year between volumes 8 and 9 to come out) because I had forgotten who most characters were and its been a while since I watched the Ikkitousen anime so my brain kind of went to overload and I had to read the volume twice.

Most people I know who are manga readers, detest Battle Vixens because of the exessive panty shots, and unneeded foul language. They also find the plot kind of boring, like who cares about schools fighting eachother. But I see it as more than that. It is about destiny and how one cannot change their destiny (spoiler[with the exception of Ryofu]).
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:46 am Reply with quote
geishageek wrote:
Vol 9 is out but can only be found selectively. I just happened to come across it in Waldenbooks a few weeks ago. But I haven't seen another copy anywhere else.

I am a female who absolutely adores Battle Vixens. I think it has strong characters and awesome fight scenes. I feel it gets confusing at times (especially now since it took a year between volumes 8 and 9 to come out) because I had forgotten who most characters were and its been a while since I watched the Ikkitousen anime so my brain kind of went to overload and I had to read the volume twice.

Most people I know who are manga readers, detest Battle Vixens because of the exessive panty shots, and unneeded foul language. They also find the plot kind of boring, like who cares about schools fighting eachother. But I see it as more than that. It is about destiny and how one cannot change their destiny (spoiler[with the exception of Ryofu]).

I think you're partially wrong, and that Ryofu did change hers some. The outcome turned out to be the same but from what I can gather the method is different. She chose not to wait but went out fighting and took the fight to them. Don't wanna give out to much and ruin it for other. Another example is Totaku. Same end but different method. Sometimes the panty shots and boobs can be a bit excessive but they give the characters pretty good character development. Another very good fact is, unlike the show, the manga doesn't revolve around Hakafu. Plent of the other characters get the spot light at various parts. The 1 year release problem did get me confused reading volume 9. I simply went back and re-read volumes 5,6,7,and 8 to get myself refreashed.
smoochy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:44 am Reply with quote
[quote="geishageek"]Vol 9 is out but can only be found selectively. I just happened to come across it in Waldenbooks a few weeks ago. But I haven't seen another copy anywhere else.

Most people I know who are manga readers, detest Battle Vixens because of the exessive panty shots, and unneeded foul language. They also find the plot kind of boring, like who cares about schools fighting eachother. But I see it as more than that. It is about destiny and how one cannot change their destiny ([spoiler]with the exception of Ryofu[/spoiler]).[/quote]

One can't find the deepness of an ocean within a dirty puddle on the street. You're reading into it far too much.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:09 pm Reply with quote
They don't even have to be battling and you get to see panties, wheehee! Very Happy But anyways, I read the first volume, and really didn't think much of it, read up to volume 6, and it started to get interesting. And man, some girl is going to end up naked during some fight in every volume. Geewhiz. You even get to t*** and a**.
geishageek

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
One can't find the deepness of an ocean within a dirty puddle on the street. You're reading into it far too much.

Everyone sees something different when reading. It just a matter of opinion. But I do agree I like the other characters in the spotlight, instead of just Hakafu. But she is hot so it didn't bother mr Embarassed
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:11 pm Reply with quote
geishageek wrote:
Quote:

Everyone sees something different when reading. It just a matter of opinion. But I do agree I like the other characters in the spotlight, instead of just Hakafu. But she is hot so it didn't bother mr Embarassed

Yea she is very hot but honestly, there are others that I think are hotter. My 2 fav hotties would be Kanu and Ryomo. The whole maid outfit thing...well I won't go there Embarassed I love Kanu's hair, yea I know that sounds like a come on line. I think they animated her character in the show very well and I love her over all attitude in the manga. The lesbian cracks from Ryubei are hilarious...if only Kanu was and Ryubei.... Embarassed
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Ryomo is definetly hotter than Hakufu, especially with her kansetsuwazas, she can be hanging onto any joint of your body and she won't let go.
coolerimmortal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:31 pm Reply with quote
geishageek wrote:

Most people I know who are manga readers, detest Battle Vixens because of the exessive panty shots, and unneeded foul language.

That actually isn't the fault of the manga. The idiots in charge of the series' US release handed it over to Keith Giffen, the bastard who killed the US Battle Royale "adaptation". The dialogue in the English version no doubt has nothing to do with the original version.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:28 pm Reply with quote
coolerimmortal wrote:
geishageek wrote:

Most people I know who are manga readers, detest Battle Vixens because of the exessive panty shots, and unneeded foul language.

That actually isn't the fault of the manga. The idiots in charge of the series' US release handed it over to Keith Giffen, the bastard who killed the US Battle Royale "adaptation". The dialogue in the English version no doubt has nothing to do with the original version.

Except there is a diffrence between the two. Battle Vixens so horrid that it wouldn't matter if Tokyopop hired {Insert Phil Roth/Cormac McCarthy/etc.}; the story just sucks. I wasn't impressed by either version of Battle Royale (though it's leagues better than BV), but the original at least has its story and continuity together and pretty much added up to a single coherent package. Giffen was an odd choice to begin with; at times he's a solid writer, but not for those genres.
geishageek

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:54 am Reply with quote
Ok. I agree Shimei is hotter than Hakafu. I conceed since I do have like 5 Shimei figures in my room. haha..

I haven't yet read the Battle Royal manga, which I have been meaning to since I got the original novel for my birthday in august and loved it. I have yet to see many money going towards it tho. haha

It isnt as if the language is what makes BV awesome. It is just a fun read with awesome T&A. But hey.... I think I wouldnt enjoy the story as much if it had been written differently. If it was too serious, i think it would stifle itself and I would not wanna read it. It would be like reading an old history book which I've graduated from college now so that isnt something that id be intersted in.

On a side note, is anyone reading Battle Club as well? I started it and it just doesnt have the same pizazz as Vixens does. I haven't read enough to know exactly what it lacks, but maybe as they release more it might get better.
Monumension

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:38 am Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
coolerimmortal wrote:
geishageek wrote:

Except there is a diffrence between the two. Battle Vixens so horrid that it wouldn't matter if Tokyopop hired {Insert Phil Roth/Cormac McCarthy/etc.}; the story just sucks. I wasn't impressed by either version of Battle Royale (though it's leagues better than BV), but the original at least has its story and continuity together and pretty much added up to a single coherent package. Giffen was an odd choice to begin with; at times he's a solid writer, but not for those genres.

Bizarrely enough I think K. Giffens work on this manga suited the plot. Battle Vixens (which is a hilariously loose 'translation' of the original Iki Tousen) is considerabely less serious than a seinen type of manga and the absurd fanservice/situations makes the frequent usage of the f-word, the constant "OMG, I think I must be a lesbian"-traumas and the overdone hip slang seem almost plausible! Sure it's all totally brainless, but I take it for what it is. You'll never find a masterpiece when reading this type of manga.

For the one wondering about Battle Club; it's just more of the same and you can barely see the difference. It seems like the fanservice is even more saucy though. I noted a few yuri-references in the first volume.

Yuji Shiozaki should forget abut stories and plots and concentrate about the one thing he can: hentai.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2