• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Famous Celebrities You Forgot Did Anime Voiceovers

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:16 pm Reply with quote
So Anne Hathaway was already familiar with the Catwoman role.
ChexGuy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:20 pm Reply with quote
They didn't mention Gundam 0080 among Hayter's roles D:
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:27 pm Reply with quote
How can we forget about IGPX when it's been on Toonami for the past months? Wink

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ly000001

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Don't forget Frances McDormand was in Genesis Survivor Gaiarth: http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0158632/
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:35 pm Reply with quote
A few you missed:

Juliette Lewis took over the role of Naomi in Armitage: Dual Matrix, which also featured Ahmed "Jar Jar Binks" Best.

Afro Samurai also starred Kelly Hu, while Lucy Liu was in Resurrection.

And James "Uncle Phil" Avery was in the original Fist of the North Star movie (as well as being the voice of Shredder in the original TMNT cartoon).
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Awesome, you learn new things every day!

Re: McDormand, is it really the same Frances McDormand..? And not just a name coincidence? I see it on her IMDB page, but it seems surprising...
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Another I just remembered: Manga Entertainment's dub of Karas starred Matthew Lillard, Jay Hernandez, and Piper Perabo (who was replaced in the second film by Cree Summer).
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Cranston did go under the pseudonym of Lee Stone for his anime roles, and this was far before he was an anybody in show business.

The Anne Hathaway mention isn't so much a young actress looking for work, it's just the typical Disney pimping their stars into these Ghibli roles like they've done for practically every other dub. Honestly, using any Ghibli dub here is cheating since they're the only anime that can ever possibly get star talent. FUNi could never dream of getting Matt Damon in even a brief cameo role.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:00 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

The Anne Hathaway mention isn't so much a young actress looking for work, it's just the typical Disney pimping their stars into these Ghibli roles like they've done for practically every other dub. Honestly, using any Ghibli dub here is cheating since they're the only anime that can ever possibly get star talent. FUNi could never dream of getting Matt Damon in even a brief cameo role.

Agreed. But the mention of Hathaway and some other folks who were in Ghibli movies is under the stipulation that some might not realize they were in these movies, or had forgotten about it, since they were placed in those roles before they had their break-out roles.

The list isn't so much, "people who did anime before they became famous," as it is, "did you know these people were in an anime?" be they placed by Disney or not.

Anne Hathaway in a Ghibli role now would garner a lot more attention than Hathaway in a Ghibli role in 2002.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Does Lara Jill Miller count as a famous celebrity since she was one the stars on Gimme a Break!? Even if not, it would've been a nice addition since she actually does anime work on a regular basis, not just the stuff backed by Disney. I mean, you don't see Samuel L. Jackson starring in Lucky Star or Please Twins, do you?

Last edited by The King of Harts on Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:51 pm; edited 5 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Another fun fact, Billy Cranston from the Mighty Moprhin Power Rangers was named after Bryan Cranston thanks to his past voice work with Saban Entertainment.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Peter Cullen was a Narrator for IGPX. Though he's mostly only known for his many times playing as Optimus Prime including the live action movies as the voice and also would be the who would do the Narrating in the Toonami commercials before Toonami went to Adult Swim.
graywolf323

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:20 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Cranston did go under the pseudonym of Lee Stone for his anime roles, and this was far before he was an anybody in show business.

agreed, if you include Ghibli films you end up with a LOT of Hollywood talent suddenly having had anime roles

I was rather surprised they would include Spirited Away and not mention Kirsten Dunst having been Kiki in Kiki's Delivery Service
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
With Michael Keaton's long and storied career, one might forget that in 1992 (on the heels of Batman and Batman Returns), he played title character Porco Rosso in Studio Ghibli's film of the same name.

Disney's dub (which Keaton stars in) was released in 2005, not 1992.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:26 pm Reply with quote
graywolf323 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

agreed, if you include Ghibli films you end up with a LOT of Hollywood talent suddenly having had anime roles

I was rather surprised they would include Spirited Away and not mention Kirsten Dunst having been Kiki in Kiki's Delivery Service

I did; it's in the opening paragraph.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4