• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Central to Host 2014 World Cosplay Summit Qualifiers

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:29 am Reply with quote
I guess this means they won't be able to cancel the masquerade when it was delayed in order to start the rave on time? Laughing
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:18 pm Reply with quote
VORTIA wrote:
I guess this means they won't be able to cancel the masquerade when it was delayed in order to start the rave on time? Laughing
The masquerade and this are two different events, as discussed on A-Cen's message boards and on their Facebook page. So it could easily be cancelled if the situation calls for it, sadly. Although I'd like to think they learned from that situation.

For those that don't know the backstory, in 2012 someone pulled the fire alarm in the Hyatt, during the time when the masquerade was going on. The hotel had to be evacuated, and when people were able to go back in and back to the masquerade, the ones in charge of the con and the masquerade announced the decision to cancel the rest of the event so the Soap Bubble - A-Cen's Saturday night rave - could start on time. In the end, the participants were only able to run across the stage, and the rave ended up getting two extra hours, which led to further backlash from the largest majority of attendees.

It was explained on the boards later there was a lot of issues with the masquerade to start with, and that they didn't want to cancel it but after the fire alarm incident, they weren't given the chance to recover from it.

Hopefully for 2014, there won't be anyone dumb enough to pull the alarms, and if there is - god forbid - that A-Cen is able to allow events such as the WCS or the masquerade go on and shorten or cancel one of the two rave dances they host every year.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1