• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Chernin Group Purchases Majority Stake in Crunchyroll

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Well this is very interesting to read. If Chernin Group help CR in anyway, I'll welcome it!!! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The company noted it will use the website to expand into different genres.

Hmmm I'm intrigued but I hope it doesn't loose itself and expand into something it shouldn't be.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Drac

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:28 pm Reply with quote
So they pretty much want to morph the website into another Hulu. Best of luck to them on that.
unready

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Drac wrote:
So they pretty much want to morph the website into another Hulu. Best of luck to them on that.

Fox is already a significant owner of Hulu. Hulu was/is a joint venture of NBC, ABC, and Fox. This is more like industry consolidation by buying the competition, except Crunchyroll wasn't really competition. Hmm, and I don't see Sony selling Crackle any time soon.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Crunchyroll was fine as it was. I don't see how Chernin Group can improve it at all. And in fact their comment about wanting to expand doesn't make me too confident about this venture.

Maybe I am just being a pessimist but I tend to be wary when bigger companies take over little ones.
Micro_Ice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:59 pm Reply with quote
I hope by expanding they'll add a digital music store, for full anime OPs/EDs/OST and the like.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The company noted it will use the website to expand into different genres.

Maybe more J-dramas??? Hopefully, K-dramas already is popular and Taiwan has started to export more and more dramas outside of Asia (Dramafever has got several new Taiwanese dramas, and Viki has lots of Taiwanese dramas), while J-dramas are not exported in huge #, I hope this change because J-dramas need more love from fans outside of Asia. Maybe Crunchyroll (with the help of Chermin Group) can help Toei to expand Super Sentai and Kamen Rider given that Toei Channel is going to get shut down very soon. Please don't blame Toei for the shutdown. The shutdown does mean no US launch which people in the US wanted badly. It's unfortunate for Toei, but if Crunchyroll (I can accept Dramafever and Viki) can get Super Sentai and Kamen Rider get subtitled stream in US, I'm all for it.

Micro_Ice wrote:
I hope by expanding they'll add a digital music store, for full anime OPs/EDs/OST and the like.

I don't know if that will happen, Japan will not allow majority of J-pop on Itunes as Answerman said. Japan doesn't really embrace the internet unlike Taiwan and South Korea does. That's why it's hard to find J-pop on Itunes and on Youtube.

Last edited by mdo7 on Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:20 pm Reply with quote
I hope it allows them to up their bitrates for anime. Can't think of anything else expansion would interest me in; adding OVAs or movies?
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:31 pm Reply with quote
This isn't necessarily a problem, things could obviously remain the same, but major ownership changes are always cause for concern. Crunchyroll is basically doing just fine as is and I'd hate to see it change.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:32 pm Reply with quote
This is the inevitable stage of any internet service which pleases its users where it is bought by someone else and then ruined.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:39 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
This isn't necessarily a problem, things could obviously remain the same, but major ownership changes are always cause for concern. Crunchyroll is basically doing just fine as is and I'd hate to see it change.

This is exactly how I feel. I'll be keeping my beady eyes peeled for any external signs that this is a good/bad thing.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:55 pm Reply with quote
if they could expand the number of JDrama simulcasts and add KDrama simulcasts and add manhwa and manhua I'd be really happy although I don't want them to lose focus too much. I hope they can still simulcast as much anime as they have in the past since it's been really great getting so many shows here in the west.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Crunchyroll was fine as it was. I don't see how Chernin Group can improve it at all. And in fact their comment about wanting to expand doesn't make me too confident about this venture.

Maybe I am just being a pessimist but I tend to be wary when bigger companies take over little ones.

That is my initial sentiment as well. I am a huge fan of Crunchyroll and new ownership as well as moving into other genres makes me a little concerned. As long as it doesn't result in a lack of new anime acquisitions or a failure to maintain current licensing I suppose it is fine, but I can't help feeling a little disconcerted regardless. Hopefully I'm worrying about nothing though.

Quote:

That is one area where I wouldn't mind a little more content. Its hard to find any good anime music.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:29 pm Reply with quote
News Corp? Uggggh.
Jen Bigby

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Confused Well it's not like they're a stranger to foreign content already which is one reason I don't like them much so I cant say this is all that surprising. They already report on western video games, shows, and other non-anime stuff and it gets in the way of actual anime-related news. Didn't they recently start to stream that American cartoon RWBY thing too? Sony Animax did this a while ago when it rebranded itself Sony Spin and said Punk'd, Teen Wolf, and other sitcoms brought them in more money than FMA, Bleach, and Prince of Tennis. 'Other genres' is what TechTV/G4 said and look where they are now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5