• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dance in the Vampire Bund (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Dance in the Vampire Bund.

So this is SHAFT's contribution to the season, and so far it looks good. It's too soon to tell if it will be great; this was an introductory episode and half of it was an experiment. It was a risky experiment since the extended dialogue in the game show didn't really advance the plot, nor was it all that interesting. On the other hand, SHAFT is building a really solid record of thought-provoking, clever, and arresting artwork; the opening shots of the street were reminiscent of Bakemonogatari and the director played around with animating scenes through cameras, static, and all kinds of mimicry of a game show, including an "interrupted broadcast" message when the studio was getting destroyed (the voices in the background were pretty funny, too). It was fun to watch Mina screwing around with the game show people knowing the whole time that at least two real vampires were in the room.

The second half of the episode was much more rewarding. spoiler[It seems silly at first that they would choose to reveal their presence through a game show, but think about it more closely and it becomes obvious that there's not a much more direct route to the public eye.

Seems we've already got two major plot threads--the establishment of a vampire nation, and the reappearance of this boy.]
I enjoyed the vampire hierarchical explanations, and love the way Mina handled that runaway vampire--seems like a pretty convenient power, and a realistic one considering the social explanation about heirs and obeying them. On the other hand, not sure how I feel about "true forms," I'm a bit of a purist that way and I think in this case the concept of vampires and the ins and outs of their world should suffice to be entertaining; if we get sidetracked in tons of extraneous super-powers it means lazy writing and not having to explain the details of the vampire world.

No OP this week, but the ED...well, I'm pretty sure it wasn't finished. At least I hope it wasn't. Finally, I'm a big fan of Aoi Yuki; she voiced Murasaki in Kure-nai, and I thought she was awesome as Mina.

This episode was interesting; hopefully next episode they'll cut to the chase a little quicker.

Last edited by rainbowcourage on Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:19 pm; edited 3 times in total
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:05 pm Reply with quote
I have to ask, does the anime have as many naked "underaged" girls as the manga did in it? It looks interesting, but if I'm going to be in with loli vampires, I'm out.
Mister V

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Hah, that was certainly an interesting way to break the Masquerade. And to introduce Shaft's concept of vampires, too. Well, I place my trust in Shinbo and Shaft, even though as of now it looks... mildly entertaining, at most. This is supposed to have at least some fights though, they can't get away with placeholders, so I hope the quality won't degrade (shitty raw though).

Some notes...
- I get the feeling that if I had lived in Japan, I'd be laughing my ass off at the game show parody. It looks like they captured a lot of stereotypes nicely (though I can't really judge, can I).
- Vampires = recession and Frankenstein = boom - now that is something new.
- Changing into a... chameleon?! Gimme a break. That guy is really piss poor.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:16 pm Reply with quote
SHAFT + loli vampires. I'm so here.

spoiler[I pegged the actor as a vampire right away, but couldn't figure if he was the plant, or the "vampire queen" was. As it turns out, I'm surprised how many of those on the show were actually involved in the ploy.] Did the nervous girl remind anyone else of Mikuru, Except more accommodating? spoiler[At least, until after the trap was sprung on the rogue vampire and she hit him with a ladder.]

It's not incredible yet, but it still looks good.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:44 pm Reply with quote
This is my most anticipated title of the winter season and it left me distinctly...underwhelmed. It almost felt like an infamous Episode 0 offering where the REAL series doesn't start until Episode 1. I don't think the game show conceit was the best way to introduce us to this particular world - surely they could have come up with something more dynamic and interesting. I expect I'll start to like the series more as it goes on, but the first eppie was a disappointment for me, for sure.
Kirikiri23

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:52 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
I have to ask, does the anime have as many naked "underaged" girls as the manga did in it? It looks interesting, but if I'm going to be in with loli vampires, I'm out.

Most likely considering the trailer

So see ya
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:57 pm Reply with quote
First episode left me with mixed feelings. "TV Show" idea is original, no doubt about that, but it looks like a somewhat interesting beginning to mediocre series. Animation ranges from average to below that, while art is very much indistinctive.

But the story hasn't started yet so it might have some potential. I'll give DitVB a few more episodes to get me involved, OR ELSE...
Showsni

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Well, that was certainly very different to the start of the manga...

But since the first few chapters of the manga has Mina pretty much naked throughout, maybe that's a good thing. But yeah, it did feel like an Episode 0. The main character hasn't even been introduced yet...
Niomo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:47 pm Reply with quote
well this is my third time trying to post, so lets see how i do. ANN is being really slow today.

A quick summery because i dont want to type all my thoughts again:

- Camera movement made me sick-ish.

- Chameleon guy? well....its nice to know they are taking the myth that vampires can change into animals to heart. I wonder what other beasties we will see

- Wonder what is up with that guy. spoiler[Seems like the maids are going to attack him in the next episode Anime dazed]
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:10 am Reply with quote
Niomo wrote:
- Wonder what is up with that guy. spoiler[Seems like the maids are going to attack him in the next episode Anime dazed]

I wouldn't necessarily take an SD preview bit as canon. Especially since this is SHAFT.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:19 am Reply with quote
This definetly looks like an episode 0, it was not really incredibly amazing, but I guess it's main job was to consider established vampire lore/fiction before throwing in their own. I guess we could look at it as a place in the tv tropes page of Our Vampires Are Different. I don't know if it was just the version I saw, but the graphics were not amazing, but that might have been on purpose, simular to Haruhi's episode 0, both have used the moving camera angle. We even missed some of the action that adds another factor.

I like how they seem to going with the vampires ability to shapeshift, a part of vampire lore I quite liked is the ability to turn into animals such Lizards, which existed before the bat thing. Though this episode was meant to be obscure (it is SHAFT), and we didn't actualy get to see a lot, what is important is what they do next and maybe if this eppisode has bigger impact then at first notice.

Someone mentioned something about the ED, the use of an image that zooms out and gains colour, if I recall was the same method used for the ED of Moon Phase, though hopefully we won't get the same style of OP Laughing . Maybe I will rewatch Moon Phase to compare it to watching this.
kxe50

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:07 am Reply with quote
Mmmmm, loli/Shaft? Cool
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:32 am Reply with quote
This episode was alright. I got to see annoying people dying(or dieing according to Fairy Fail's CR translator), vampires turning into what they really are on the inside, and despite looking like a 12 years old, the queen definitely seems to be an interesting character. So far, my ranking is Omamori Himari, Vampire Bund, Baka to Test, Sora no Woto, and Cru-Bra; respectively. Still missing Durarara!! and possibly a few more.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:30 pm Reply with quote
The first episode was interesting enough, but it hasn't really hooked me yet. I'll continue to watch and see.

Quote:
Someone mentioned something about the ED, the use of an image that zooms out and gains colour, if I recall was the same method used for the ED of Moon Phase, though hopefully we won't get the same style of OP Laughing . Maybe I will rewatch Moon Phase to compare it to watching this.

Kyuuketsuki mimi mode? Laughing

Last edited by Kruszer on Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Labbes

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:40 am Reply with quote
This is as campy as the manga was, possibly even more. I did not really expect it to be this good - I had so much fun.
It reminds me a little bit of the first Twilight movie, in that it does not take itself all that seriously. spoiler[When the "interviewer" tries to interview the cat, for instance, or when the fake Vampire Queen's boobs continue to jiggle for three seconds. Not to mention the really overdone gestures and jokes of the people at the game show.]
(Manga spoiler)spoiler[Also, the show was sponsored by the corporation who invented the bio-gel - which will be even more important later on.]

I'm craving for more Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 12