• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: PS4 Sells 4.2 Million Units, Xbox One Sells 3 Million

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BringBackUzume

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:26 am Reply with quote
At leas they both have a fairly large consumer base now. Just gotta focus on getting them and looking out for interesting games. Alien: Isolation is looking really good.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:13 am Reply with quote
Good numbers from both and about the difference I would have expected. I'm defnitely going to get myself an Xbone at some point, probably pretty near to the release of Dragon Age 3, unless another must-have game is out first.
Lincolne

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:10 am Reply with quote
Quote:
PlayStation Plus memberships increased 90% since the system's launch.

I just have to laugh that they are pointing out PlayStation Plus memberships have jumped so much. You need it to play online.
Blackdragon6817

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:59 am Reply with quote
Awesome!! I have a ps4 but I am also saving up for an xbox one. Glad to see that there are some people out there that don't hate on one or the other and actually enjoy gaming in general.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:15 am Reply with quote
No surprise there in terms of the numbers. Definitely going to get a PS4 as soon as damn SE announces an official FF15 release date!
razisgosu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:12 am Reply with quote
Once we get some games im interested in I will jump on the bandwagon. Until thenill be enjoying the ps3.
Hawkwing

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:51 pm Reply with quote
And it hasn't reached Japan yet, wonder how many units it will sell over there. Very Happy
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Hawkwing wrote:
And it hasn't reached Japan yet, wonder how many units it will sell over there. Very Happy

PS4 already easily winning before getting to Japan (where it'll decimate Xbox One) is a good sign for its future. 360 beat PS3 everywhere other then Japan (where it was outsold 7 to 1)
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:02 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Hawkwing wrote:

PS4 already easily winning before getting to Japan (where it'll decimate Xbox One) is a good sign for its future. 360 beat PS3 everywhere other then Japan (where it was outsold 7 to 1)

PS3 outsold 360 by a large margin in the non-UK European countries.
EricJ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:26 pm Reply with quote
And just think how many MORE units the PS4 will sell when it can finally play 3D Blu-ray and PS3 disks, and actually persuade PS3 owners to upgrade their console! Razz

(And when it stops catching fire.)
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I'm probably going to wait a few years... I mainly just buy niche Japanese games, and I don't see them moving to PS4 anytime soon... Persona 5 and Tales of Zesteria are going to keep the PS3 still alive in America in 2015. Vita seems like a good alternative for low budget developers as well instead of going fully next gen.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:03 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Personally, I'm probably going to wait a few years... I mainly just buy niche Japanese games, and I don't see them moving to PS4 anytime soon... Persona 5 and Tales of Zesteria are going to keep the PS3 still alive in America in 2015. Vita seems like a good alternative for low budget developers as well instead of going fully next gen.

Not sure if you can call Persona niche Mr. Green
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:12 pm Reply with quote
I don't think the PS4 is gonna sell in Japan nowhere as much as the PS3 did. I think, like PC gaming, home console gaming is becoming less and less a Japanese thing, in favor of handheld gaming. The % of J-games developed for the previous gen has declined, and I see that declining further this gen. And being a BD player won't be an advantage anymore.

Anyways, IIRC the PS4 is now on sale in 42 countries, while the XB1 still only in 13 and still cost $100 more (though expect the prices to be similar by next holiday season), so there's room to catch up like the PS3 did to 360.

(Talking about declining prices and 360, do ya know that thing can be had for as low as $100 now. That's even cheaper than the Wii or 3DS. No wonder it was selling like hotcakes this past holidays - people were picking it up on a whim.)
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Yeah console gaming is probably close to dead in Japan. The future sucks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:01 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
I don't think the PS4 is gonna sell in Japan nowhere as much as the PS3 did. I think, like PC gaming, home console gaming is becoming less and less a Japanese thing, in favor of handheld gaming. The % of J-games developed for the previous gen has declined, and I see that declining further this gen. And being a BD player won't be an advantage anymore.

Anyways, IIRC the PS4 is now on sale in 42 countries, while the XB1 still only in 13 and still cost $100 more (though expect the prices to be similar by next holiday season), so there's room to catch up like the PS3 did to 360.

(Talking about declining prices and 360, do ya know that thing can be had for as low as $100 now. That's even cheaper than the Wii or 3DS. No wonder it was selling like hotcakes this past holidays - people were picking it up on a whim.)

Rahxephon91 wrote:
Yeah console gaming is probably close to dead in Japan. The future sucks.

Yeah I agreed with both of you, there's been sign that Japan's decline in console gaming is becoming evident:

Kotaku-There are fewer consoles gamers in Japan

Gameindustrybiz-Sony's Shuhei Yoshida: "It's not the decline of consoles, it's the decline of a generation"

The decline of Fighting games in Japan

It's not only Japan, but the UK is showing signs of console game decline too.

So what is causing these console gaming decline in Japan? Population decline? Lack of good game on console coming out in Japan?

Anyway, I'm not surprised PS4 sold more then Xbox One, I'll buy the PS4 probably next spring or summer.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2