• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Protagonist For Inu Yashiki Manga by Gantz's Oku Unveiled

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:20 am Reply with quote
I'm been trying to reading this series but sometimes the libraries don't give a damn. But glad to see he's working on something new. I guess I'll finish Gantz at some point in time.
.Eckilsax.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:43 pm Reply with quote
This is [expletive] awesome.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:51 pm Reply with quote
So he's doing...Death of a Salesman?

Quite the shift in tone, but OK.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:55 pm Reply with quote
he already did a hikikomori manga, so this is bound to be a good read ; also his lbgt manga were interesting.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Probably going to be a cult hit there at best, but I give Oku credit for taking an artistic risk.
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:09 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Probably going to be a cult hit there at best, but I give Oku credit for taking an artistic risk.

Same here, I wish him the best for trying something like this (not that surprising considering the seinen demographic but still), but the cynic side of me gives this 6 months max 'cause of no attractive/young people in it.

But it's nice being wrong sometimes so who knows.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:46 pm Reply with quote
There's some newfangled ideas after all.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:23 pm Reply with quote
ryanvamp wrote:
but the cynic side of me gives this 6 months max 'cause of no attractive/young people in it.

It doesn't say there aren't any in the manga, just that the main character isn't one. Usually a story like this involves working beside and against a much younger generation. If the protagonist is an old man that can't get ahead then the antagonist would naturally be someone(s) who is the exact opposite in this situation. Plus he has a family, maybe even grandchildren so I doubt there'll be any shortage of young and attractive people in this series, it just wont be about them.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EastN3

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:02 pm Reply with quote
I hope he makes this another long running series, maybe not Gantz big, but long. Although I myself am very young, I get bored of every series starring either gorgeous high schoolers or suave 30ish detectives who always have a one liner ready. Having a more elderly protagonist could enable Oku to approach themes not used too often.

Fear of your own mortality, and not the kind where the protagonist is piloting a giant nuclear mech in outer space fighting aliens, yet is worried he might get hurt (no duh you're gonna get hurt, you numbskull), I mean the unavoidable impending realization of one's own death that I'm sure every older person gets. Also, he could explore the idea of the main character not wanting to be a burden on his family, something most older people worry about but doesn't get talked about.

Anyways, if this is anywhere as good as Gantz I'll be satisfied.
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:41 pm Reply with quote
In Oku we trust.
Gamescook

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:10 am Reply with quote
I was starting to think Japanese artists couldn't make anything besides escapist fantasy fap material.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1