• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toonami's Space Dandy, One Piece, Bleach, Soul Eater, More Rank #1 in Demographics

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:31 am Reply with quote
So how the ratings over here compare to Japan?
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:19 am Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:

If we can get a time slot the same as the US, than we can compare.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:36 am Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:

LOL
I think they'd be rather shocking.
Anime is a niche market in the US where in Japan it is part of their culture.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:09 am Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
Utsuro no Hako wrote:

LOL

Anime is niche in Japan as well. Except for you know the kid friendly shows that air in the late afternoon or early morning.
But your Madoka Magica and all the late night anime are niche.
Just giving you a reality check. Laughing
Leebo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:29 am Reply with quote
It's quite likely more Americans watched Space Dandy than Japanese. I don't think the Japanese are taking much interest in it.
Oraculo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:53 am Reply with quote
Really??? This is news??? Confused #1 with 18-34 year old men... Surprising? Impressive? Umm... don't think so. (Anything late-night that features "Boobies" will probably capture that demographic. Jus' sayin'...)
Guess I'll just have to agree with the Japanese on this one. Rolling Eyes
Although, congrats to Bleach and Soul Eater, I guess. Nuthin' like ignoring more than half of the T.V. viewing population, huh?
Leebo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:27 am Reply with quote
I know its shocking when a long-hyped show's ranking in its target demographic is reported.
Haterater

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:01 am Reply with quote
Oraculo wrote:
Really??? This is news??? Confused #1 with 18-34 year old men... Surprising? Impressive? Umm... don't think so. (Anything late-night that features "Boobies" will probably capture that demographic. Jus' sayin'...)
Guess I'll just have to agree with the Japanese on this one. Rolling Eyes
Although, congrats to Bleach and Soul Eater, I guess. Nuthin' like ignoring more than half of the T.V. viewing population, huh?

That's the main demographic most companies/channels want to grab. So even though it might seem unimpressive, that's a really good demographic rating for Toonami to have.

Kind of hate it when some companies want to cancel shows that lack that demographic yet have it high in other places like a female audience. Because they believe only the men demographic buy things.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:06 am Reply with quote
Leebo wrote:
It's quite likely more Americans watched Space Dandy than Japanese. I don't think the Japanese are taking much interest in it.

I had my suspicions that it wouldn't get much an interest over there considering the content is more suited to the US audience.

also the writer made a mega goof. it was Shipudden that's on the 12:30am timeslot. the original one is on 3am. though i am more surprised it's raitings would even be that high considering its starting all the way from ep 1 instead of starting at a more suitable arc like the hunt for itachi arc or the pain invasion arc. it would have been an opportunity to do a neon alley promotion on toonami for both the sub version and the new eps of the series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kreion

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:05 am Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
vulcanraven01 wrote:
Utsuro no Hako wrote:

LOL

Anime is niche in Japan as well. Except for you know the kid friendly shows that air in the late afternoon or early morning.

there's niche and there's niche - you're far less likely to find someone who watches anime in the western world than you are in Japan - that's just the way of it. That doesn't mean that everyone in Japan watches it by any means, just as not everyone in the western world loves 3D movies or anything else you can think of which people associate with it. But you also can't deny that anime is made for a Japanese audience ( most of the time) not a worldwide one, so obviously the 'niche' is larger there than here.
bigivel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:28 am Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
vulcanraven01 wrote:
Utsuro no Hako wrote:

LOL

What you're talking is time slot dependent and not really about the anime being niche. Every late hour show(anime or not anime) will have a huge decrease in viewership and that is not because that show is niche, but because the majority of people is sleeping(Or doing funny stuff Razz). So is not really the shows that are niche, but the hour that is niche, so they should be treated differently(Just like late night shows, DVD/BD in Japan aren't really that mainstream, because they are very expensive, so is not fair to say that anime DVD/BD is niche when every single DVD/BD is niche and is not fair to say that late night anime is niche because all late night TV shows are niche).

Anime in general in Japan is mainstream! Night hour anime shows are niche if we compare with the rest, but mainstream(I believe, because a ton of night hour anime start each season(around 20/25), but only with the numbers I could be sure of it) if we compare with the total audience at those hours watching TV.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:56 am Reply with quote
Toonami shows on average do better then your average late night show in Japan in total audiences that watch them, so the audiences that watched an American focused show on Toonami should destroy the Japanese audiences that did. Most late night shows in Japan don't touch 1 million people, but top Toonami shows can.

Of course, a big part of this is because Toonami runs shows that air during daytime in Japan aimed at mainstream audiences for the most part, while in Japan the late night shows are aimed at a much more niche demographic. If you put One Piece and Naruto late night in Japan it would likely still crush Toonami (I'm kinda interested to see how Hunter x Hunters ratings have become in late night but I haven't been able to find any solid data).
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:31 am Reply with quote
Kreion wrote:
there's niche and there's niche - you're far less likely to find someone who watches anime in the western world than you are in Japan - that's just the way of it.

Well sure, something like 20% of the Japanese population watches Sazae-san, which is more people than watch most live-action network shows in the US. But Sazae-san isn't what most of us think of when we hear "anime". And if you look at the Japanese TV ratings ANN posts, the tenth most popular anime, which is invariably a daytime series, only pulls in three or four million viewers, so it's very likely that Toonami airings actually get more viewers for shows like Space Dandy and SAO.

bigivel wrote:
What you're talking is time slot dependent and not really about the anime being niche. Every late hour show(anime or not anime) will have a huge decrease in viewership and that is not because that show is niche, but because the majority of people is sleeping(Or doing funny stuff Razz). So is not really the shows that are niche, but the hour that is niche, so they should be treated differently

I think you have cause and effect reversed. If anybody thought Sword Art Online or OreImo would appeal to a wide audience, they'd get time slots during hours when normal people are awake, but the production committees realize that will never happen, so they buy air time late at night.
Guile

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:43 am Reply with quote
Given the population differences of there being 3 Americans for every 1 Japanese, comparisons are not very fair. Still, ranking #1 in a time slot is also almost impossible to compare given it says nothing. Being the most watched show at 2 A.M is not a very impressive feat, truth be told, when most of your competition is reruns of old shows or infomercials that air during the late night. Without direct numbers, direct comparisons are pretty pointless.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Time slot comparisons issues are very legit. I also want to know how they get these numbers. I never understood it. No one asked me my age and I never volunteered any of that information anywhere.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3