• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shadow Skill Manga Ends After 24 Years

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Levitz9

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:59 am Reply with quote
Holy crap, 24 years? Wow. And here I thought that Shadow Skill had ended years ago. I never for a moment imagined that it was still in publication!

Congrats to the mangaka. Here's hoping his Saint Seiya manga goes over well.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:05 am Reply with quote
What the? Shadow Skill has been going on for this long?!
I'm surprise.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:41 am Reply with quote
Wow 24 years
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:56 am Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
Wow 24 years

I was thinking the same when I read the headline. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fronzel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:17 am Reply with quote
Some fairly good anime came out of this; the 1995 OVA is surprisingly reflective for a fighting show, and even more surprisingly, the first half of the 1998 TV series is quite funny even if there's hardly any action in what's ostensibly an action show. Color scheme's kinda wacked, though.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:54 am Reply with quote
The F***!!!! 24 years??? Man that beats Takada's 3 x 3. Can we get a number on the volumes serialized? I've heard so much about this series when it was an OVA but never had the chance of seeing it. Always wanted to but over time it kind of disappeared from my list of titles to watch. Maybe one day.

Congrats to the creator. It's been one long journey.
perroloco

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:23 pm Reply with quote
@Chrno:
Volume 10 was released last year, or so the article and a quick amazon search says.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Some fairly good anime came out of this; the 1995 OVA is surprisingly reflective for a fighting show, and even more surprisingly, the first half of the 1998 TV series is quite funny even if there's hardly any action in what's ostensibly an action show. Color scheme's kinda wacked, though.

Yeah, loved both animes of this.

And Elle was especially awesome. Would have likely bought the manga too.

As Chrno said, congrats to the creator, very cool franchise.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:58 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
Fronzel wrote:

Yeah, loved both animes of this.

There were actually four anime productions from this; aside from the two I mentioned, there was also a 1996 OVA which was decent and a 2004 OVA in CG which was pretty terrible.
grouwl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Oh please, That's all you can do in 24 years? 10 volumes?

My Favorite author Itagaki Keisuke pulled "Grappler Baki" for 20 years and 120 volumes, AAAAND... a new series will begin this month...so much for a milestone.
musouka

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy that he got to finish the series! Okada really has a unique style, both visually and narratively, that works for me--though certainly not for everyone. I followed Shadow Skill on and off through the years, but he really won me over with his work on Episode G. (I'm thrilled that he's going to continue it!)

grouwl wrote:
Oh please, That's all you can do in 24 years? 10 volumes?

Heh, so says someone that's clearly never seen a single page of Okada's manga...
Shenl742

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:14 pm Reply with quote
^Plus if you read the article you'll see that he switched magazines and publishers about 4 or 5 times, and I bet that put a slow down on things. Factor in also doing Episode G on the side...

I only saw the TV series for it and it was really "ehhhh" but I wouldn't mind taking a gander at the manga at least if I ever get the chance....
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:20 pm Reply with quote
perroloco wrote:
@Chrno:
Volume 10 was released last year, or so the article and a quick amazon search says.

Thanks for that info. I was trying to locate a book that had some of his artwork. Usually if you go to any of the JP manga sites you get a chance to see the cover as well as a few sample pages. As I've never really seen his pen work. I'm only familiar with the character designer for the anime. Which I think someone did a column on this series some years ago.
Sergorn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:20 pm Reply with quote
There is actually more than 10 tomes. When Okada resumed Shadow Skill they restarted the numbering at 1 for some reason, but Okada had already done 5 volumes before going to Kodansha - they were reprinted by Kodansha but with separate titles (Black Howling, Black Wings and Phantom of Shade). So while Shadow Skill will end at volume 11 it really will be volume 16.

Also it should be noted that Okada's mangas are generally around 300 pages while volumes usually are slighty bellow 200... So it really is the equivalent of 24 regulars volumes en 24 years... So about one a year. Which considering all the publishers issues, hiatuses and other projects he has done (Episode G of course but also Niraikanai)... Is actually a pretty good run.

-Sergorn
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:15 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the shadow skill anime adaptions and even bought the R2 DVD of the 2004 CG movie recently. I really wish that we see a complete/sequel anime series for Shadow Skill to conclude the story like the manga. Of course with the original seiyuu as well Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2