• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) World Is Still Beautiful (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:42 pm Reply with quote
The World Is Still Beautiful (TV)

The World Is Still Beautiful (TV)

Genres: adventure, comedy, fantasy, romance
Themes: historical, kingdoms, special abilities

Plot Summary: Nike, the fourth princess of the Rain Dukedom, holds the power to call forth the rain. She travels to the Sun Kingdom to marry Sun King Livius for her country, despite her own reluctance in the matter. She soon discovers that the King, who conquered the world in only three years after his ascendance to the throne, is still a young boy. Despite being total strangers at first they start to understand one another and develop an emotional bond with each other.
----------------------------------

Episode 1:

I gotta admit, that was spoiler[ pretty funny especially with some of the conversations. Then again, it's not a good idea to piss off Nike. I'm not entirely sure how to describe this show but fantasy vibes are there and I smell potential romance coming.]

I kinda like Nike already for her role in the first episode. Hope she gets some decent characterization soon.spoiler[ Oh and she meets the King at the end there.] Oh boy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Cute show.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:42 pm Reply with quote
I knew nothing about this show 20 minutes ago and it was really enjoyable and had me laughing out laud at times. You can tell that spoiler[she will change Livius' perception of the world and make hima more compassionate human being. ] I'm going to stick with this one a while longer and see how it develops.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:04 pm Reply with quote
This show is a bit odd as far as its tone goes so far, I can't really tell if I'm supposed to be taking anything seriously or not. But of the new shows I checked out today, it's the only one that held my interest for an entire episode, so I'll see where it goes. It definitely wasn't quite what I was expecting based on the synopsis but that isn't necessarily a bad thing, at least not in this case.
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Good enough to warrant watching another episode, but this wasn't that great for a first episode, they really shouldn't have spend so much of time on the family since apparently there just minor character anyway. But I think thats a problem with the first episode and not the series as a whole.

The strength of the show is clearly the main character, more time showing and characterizing her in the first episode would have definitely be a better idea.

Oh and I really hope she dspoiler[oesn't change him into a more compassionate and decent human being], that's just a long way of spelling out "boring" to me. Twisted Evil
SethMosrite

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:33 am Reply with quote
Hmm, shojo fantasy rom-com, not very common these days. First episode had problems, but the MC is solid and I like the setting, will stick around.
Tyna

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:47 am Reply with quote
I loved the first episode. I started watching it without much expectation and I was pleasantly surprised. It's one of those feel good animes, and also made me laugh. Will continue watching ! Smile
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:12 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

This is why I do not usually read the synopses before the episode, as I really enjoyed following this while knowing nothing. For starters I think Nike is a rather interesting character as she looks like she can look after herself, a mix there of un-girly yet feminine, maybe a little Holo like. And based off what the show has said so far the king may be too as soon as the sisters started saying that he was bad it became obvious that he would be the exact opposite. I do wonder how the conquer yet good for the nation thing works though, and based off the preview looks like spoiler[he wanted to be able to increase rainfall for his people].

The show is going to have it stupid moments, kind of like as seen by those thieves, but they were quite self aware with their fourth wall breaking, and for some reason I did not mind. I might follow.

The ED song sounded nice, who does it? ...... Apparently Nike's Seiyuu is doing it, and she has not done many big roles before now.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:23 pm Reply with quote
The world of anime is still beautiful.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:24 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
they really shouldn't have spend so much of time on the family since apparently there just minor character anyway.

What makes you so sure they're minor characters? She did say she'd come back to visit them. I have a feeling they might come visit her first.

I loved the first episode, the only problem being the comic relief villains who weren't very funny.

I was also under the impression that the King would be like spoiler[six years old] or something. Glad to see it's not that bad. Very Happy Really looking forward to this. Hope they don't mess it up like Galilei Donna did after its wonderful first episode.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:01 pm Reply with quote
I was all prepared to like this series, and I did like the first episode... until the very end. The moment I saw the king, I realized that this wasn't going to be what I was hoping it would be -- a sort of Morbito or Twelve Kingdoms sort of setting. I guess it's my fault for getting my hopes up, and I do like Nike, but the King completely kills any desire I have to watch more of this series.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
I was all prepared to like this series, and I did like the first episode... until the very end. The moment I saw the king, I realized that this wasn't going to be what I was hoping it would be -- a sort of Morbito or Twelve Kingdoms sort of setting. I guess it's my fault for getting my hopes up, and I do like Nike, but the King completely kills any desire I have to watch more of this series.

This is a shoujo anime. It won't be anything like those 2 series.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:01 am Reply with quote
I personally get vibes similar to Fushigi Yuugi or Story of Saiunkoku, both of which are series I love so that's a good thing. It's just the comedy that isn't working for me right now, or at least not consistently (particularly with the comedy relief villains, as Gina mentioned). But I'll definitely give it another episode to see if that changes.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:57 am Reply with quote
Me likey Nikey. Looking forward to her meeting with the Sun King next time.
Ghost_Wheel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:37 pm Reply with quote
I was most ready to watch this out of anything this season based on the vibe I was getting from it. I was really hoping for something like a 2014 Now and Then, Here and There as far as tone and mystery were concerned, but with interesting realist style animation, a strong female lead, and less dystopia (not necessarily better but different).

Then I got hit with that ridiculous looking surprised face in the first couple seconds, which set the tone for the rest of the show as far as the humor was concerned and how it was presented. Total slap in the face.

Then Team Rocket came in and sealed the deal for me. spoiler[The first scene where they stole the suitcase was perfectly fine, but they do not deserve to be established as interesting or important characters. Everything involved with the kidnapping was really stupid and the fact that they're driving that carriage is both a disturbing decision on her part and a portent of their inevitable and cringe-worthy return.]

Yeah, I'm done with this. My expectations for what I wanted it to be were a little high, but I would have given it serious credence just off of confirmation bias if it were even going in that direction.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 34