• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kamigami no Asobi (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volibear

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:25 pm Reply with quote

Kamigami no Asobi

Plot Summary: Yui Kusanagi is ordered by Zeus, a god and the headmaster of a school he created, to teach the meaning of love to young and handsome gods. The reason he has for doing this is to cancel the negative effects of the weakening bond between the world of the divine and the world of the humans.

12 Episodes
Drama, Romance, Supernatural, Male Harem, Shoujo, Fantasy

Ep. 1
O dear god. I'm not sure why I persist in trying these ones out. Ouran did it well. The only others to keep my interest were La Corda D'Oro and The Wallflower. And then there is stuff like Amnesia, Brothers Conflict and now this. At least Amnesia and BC had semi-decent gimmicks, this however does not.

Essentially spoiler[girl gets magically transported to strange place, wanders around, meeting all the guys in the process, then gets told her task is to teach all the guys about love.]It's......tragic, I guess. Can't think of another way to describe it. It could be good, but it's all done to be as generic as hell.

Maybe if the gods in it were more of an actual representation of each other (Hades like Hades, Susanoo more like Susanoo etc.) instead of being all pretty boy'd up and it was way more comedy focused then I think this could actually be a pretty fun show. Trying to teach actual gods about love seems like a very fun plot with lots of room for comedy material.

As it is though, recent history has taught me to drop this, and drop it I shall.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Wait......her name is Yui????!!!! And this is a reverse harem?!?!! Oh good lord please don't let this be a repeat of that disaster diaoblic lovers lol. One thing that's always bothered me about reverse harems is that the girl is basically put in a damsel in distress role and can hardly do anything by herself. I'd like to see just ONE reverse harem where the girl had all the guys on a leash (figuratively speaking of course) and wasn't so helpless.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:09 pm Reply with quote
I like what I see so far. Yui doesn't seem like a complete doormat.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Lol, same name as Diabolik Lovers. At any rate, it was below average. Artwork was better than I had thought but nothing else caught my attention.

Yui...that's a popular name for these type of series these days huh.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:24 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

I enjoyed this episode for probably entirely unintentional reasons, pretty much laughing at all the reverse harem tropes happening, like it was a repeat of Brothers Conflict. That and it started with a dude having a spoiler[magical girl-esque transformation sequence which involved his shirt slowly unbuttoning and his pants exploding]. Well I should watch reverse harems some times, and I like the god angle. My response to that guy saying he was Zeus was to the effect that if she knows anything about him she should probably run, but he went spoiler[shota], that felt kind funny.

I was worried that this would be one of those things were the girl is almost useless, but seeing her use a sword gave me hope. But then she had a sword... turn into a necklace, like come on. Please be interesting. It might be interesting as long as it does not turn creepy with guys forcing themselves on her.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:10 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
That and it started with a dude having a spoiler[magical girl-esque transformation sequence which involved his shirt slowly unbuttoning and his pants exploding]

I was laughing so much at this part. I was like, "Damn this ridiculous... I MUST WATCH MORE!"
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:58 pm Reply with quote
I kinda like Yui so far. She had a little fire in her eyes when told she couldn't leave, and how often does that happen in these things? And she was standing up to the God of gods (not sure why Zeus gets that honor).

I think I recognized all the signature flowers except Tsukuyomi's. (it looked to me like Hades' was bougainvillea, Tsukuyomi some purple things with silvery mums or marigold like flowers, Susanoo/morning glory, Loki/red clover, Baldr/trumpet lilies (with green mums?), and Apollon of course was sunflowers with daisies).

Anyway, I'm a dead sucker for history and myth-based crap like this, partly because it makes me look up stuff about the "real" myths/history to see which eggs they picked to scramble into the omelet. I've already learned a lot of really interesting stuff. Very Happy And this series seems to have its tongue firmly in cheek, so I think I'm not going to be headdesking as much as with unredeemable garbage like BroCon, VampCon, and Amnesia. It might even turn out better than that takoyaki princess thing a few seasons back, which I know is damning with faint praise, but hey. Smile
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
It might even turn out better than that takoyaki princess thing a few seasons back, which I know is damning with faint praise, but hey. Smile

That never gets old.
Raftina

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:35 am Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
I'd like to see just ONE reverse harem where the girl had all the guys on a leash (figuratively speaking of course) and wasn't so helpless.

Isn't that more or less how Saiunkoku Monogatari works out?
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:27 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Anyway, I'm a dead sucker for history and myth-based crap like this,

This. Plus, the female lead seems to be less of a doormat while the guys seem to be less...um...forceful than usually in this kind of series. And the spoiler[magical girl transformation] and all the flowery imagery made me giggle. Laughing
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:42 am Reply with quote
Yeah, nobody's pounced her yet besides Baldr's classic moe pratfall, and Apollon's touchy-feely-ness (I laughed at how instead of looking up at him in terror/horror/helplessness, she gave his hand on her hair a little sideways wtf-are-you-doing glance). Susanoo was kind of bitey, but his unprovoked ferocity was also pretty funny to me, since he never touched her or really threatened her. He's like a fierce little yappy dog with bro-con issues.

I'm just having fun with this so far, and I hope they keep their wit about them when they go to discos or wherever the previews and publicity stills have them going in their civvies.
Tyna

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:54 am Reply with quote
My favorite part has to be when Apollon gets a spoiler[mullet while transforming] Laughing
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:42 am Reply with quote
I kinda liked it. I can't help it, I'm a sucker for silly shows like this. It could be a lot worse to be honest. I mean, the last reverse harem that I saw was Diabolik Lovers so... Shocked

The spoiler[transformation] at the beginning nearly had me in tears and flowers framing the guys when they first showed up was also pretty hilarious.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:04 am Reply with quote
I was laughing less than a minute and a half into the episode. Anime hyper Well, at least it's pretty to look at and pleasure for the ears. Don't think we'll get too much story wise.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:39 am Reply with quote
Well maybe we will be getting gender bending or something from Loki, on the other hand crossdressing is more of Thor's thing. (yes this was in mythology) They could have brought Zeus's son in and they could be cross-dressing buddies. BTW, Apollo was not only the god of the sun, but also of music, poetry and art, so there are some expectations of how he fits in.

I mentioned before that I have a huge interest in mythology right? Ironically my knowledge of Shinto myth is pretty limited.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8