• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
No Game No Life (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:52 am Reply with quote

No Game No Life (TV)

Genres: adventure, comedy, fantasy
Themes: alternate world, ecchi, game, NEET, other world

Plot Summary: Genius gamer siblings (plus being NEET & hikikomori) Sora and Shiro are known as the undefeatable “__” (blank). Their talents and skills are so good they are considered as urban legend. One day, a young boy named Teto appears before them, claiming to be the “God” of another dimension where Sora and Shiro are summoned to, in which no violence is allowed and everything is decided by a game. Of the 16 different races residing in this world, “Humanity” is the weakest. After having the vast majority of their lands captured by the other races and being driven to the brink of extinction, Sora and Shiro challenge these one-of-a-kind battles of the intellectual powers in order to save Humanity.
----------------------------------

Episode 1:
That was better than I had thought. Why is Sora such a boss? spoiler[ROYAL FLUSH]. Anyways, I think this has potential. The place/setting of this show is in more of a virtual/fantasy world so expect some abnormal events. Oh and Shiro is voiced by the same VA that voiced Mashiro from Sakurasou no Pet Kanojo. That sweet voice :3

Let the games begin!

But yeah, it was kinda fun imo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

My initial thought on this, the premise is kind of similar to Mondaiji Tachi (Problem Children are Coming from Another World, aren't they?), but the tone feels completely different. If I had to make a quick thought on tone, it would be Btooom, which undoubtly has some credence with the fact it is sharing Madhouse for animation production. Still without the heavy stuff of people dyeing in the games it feels a little funner, the main character feels kind of as OP as Izayoi, although much sneakier and cynical, but he might show some parts soon as it seems implied he might do good things for the fun.

From understanding the characters I got that the sister is best at understanding probability, and think of the most likely outcomes, while he is better at understanding human elements and reading people. Could this be the season of close brother and sister relationships? The two of them seem very comfortable together. Also lol at spoiler[8AM apparently being the middle of the night].

Lets check out the voices..... I'll click the siblings, and I guess Teto since he sounded interesting. Shiro really is having the Mashiro voice isn't she? Sora's does a bunch of protagonist, like Kirito (fitting here) and Sorata too, works right with Mashiro. And taking a look at Teto..... how did I not realise the shota god was the queen of tsundere?
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Another game anime?
Those seem to be popular lately.
First SAO, then Log Horizon, now this.
Seems like each anime season has one.
This one seems to be a crossover of a sort.
The animation is kinda flashy.
Story is ok, but not appealing enough to watch this series.
Skipping this one.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Sorata and Mashiro. Sora and Shiro. Both have the same pair of seiyuus. I wonder if its just a coincidence or the director did it on purpose.

I hope these siblings stay as the oddball, yet NORMAL family. No signs of wincest yet, thankfully.
Scytalle
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:15 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
My initial thought on this, the premise is kind of similar to Mondaiji Tachi (Problem Children are Coming from Another World, aren't they?

I came here pretty much just to post this, but you beat me to it.

Enjoyable episode though. I hope they go into a bit more of the game strategy side of things. No idea how he pulled a royal flush. I think it would be interesting (and would have me sweating bullets) if they either told us how they were going to cheat before hand or we saw it as they were doing it. It would force the viewer to watch as the match is slowly resolved, wondering whether or not they'll be able to pull it off.

Anyway, from the after credits scene, looks like we're in for some ecchi too.
Bango

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:41 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
My initial thought on this, the premise is kind of similar to Mondaiji Tachi (Problem Children are Coming from Another World, aren't they?
LOL for truth. Normally I don't compare shows but there's just seriously a lot to compare here.

WhiteHairGirls wrote:
I hope these siblings stay as the oddball, yet NORMAL family. No signs of wincest yet, thankfully.
I thought it was only wincest if you wanted it to happen. Hence the "win" part.

Anyway, I dunno about the "whoever cheats the best wins" angle. I just have a really hard time respecting characters who could win on their own but take the cheating route instead. They left one crooked broken world for another. I do really like the world lore though. That was fun. But I seriously wish they'd show more tension and detail on how the games are won. Hopefully in later episodes. But I watched that poker scene several times and the spoiler[hooker was the one cheating. There was no sign whatsoever of what he did to win beyond "get lucky". But by what Shiro said after it seems he cheated too somehow. somehow...]

About 5 minutes in and I'm like "This was one of Kamiya Yuu's things, wasn't it?" and sure enough. Nobody loves ultra saturated colours like him. For this it really works. It kind of gives the world happening candy-like feeling which I feel promotes the game theme.

Anyway, I'll stick with it for the liquid skittles artwork and boobs and if they happened to have some good bouts here and there I'll certainly enjoy that too. It'll go well alongside Jojo.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2:

I gotta say, that was a pretty neat trick used by Sora this episode. Perhaps I should try it out the next time I play spoiler[Rock, Paper, & Scissors]. I find it hilarious with the aftermath of that game though lol and the punishment along with that.

spoiler[WRYYYYYYYY. Jojo reference there :p]

Now, as regarding to the title of spoiler[King, I hope Sora can obtain it. Next episode looks like another a game match so I'll definitely look forward to it.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:13 pm Reply with quote
It can't be! The legendary Rolling Dogeza?!?!?!

Laughing

Man I laughed quite a bit this episode.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Nice to have a MC win by wits and not some random superpower that was gifted to him for no reason. Also I am really loving this odd sibling relationship.
Bango

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:00 am Reply with quote
I laughed so much this ep. The first time with the scene cuts and the dent in wall is right up my type of comedy. Like this movie I saw where this nerd was being bullied and he told his friend he'd go give the bully a piece of his mind. Some other stuff happened and the next time we saw the kid he had a neck brace and splint on and none of the characters even mentioned it.

Then followed up with a very brilliantly executed rolling dogeza. Such outstanding genuflection! 10 10 9.5 10!

I think the funniest aspect of this episode will come in a few weeks when people watching Jojo for the first time who know nothing of it spoiler[see Dio wrryyyyyy~ and you just know at least one person will think it's a No Game No Life reference.]

The paper rock scissors game confused me a bit at first

Likely my favourite scene though was when the spoiler[two were separated. I laughed til I stopped, especially with Shiro. I thought they were just screwing with her at first because] I'd forgotten these were two hikkimori with massive issues.

Even the phone camera in the fanservice scene was funny. spoiler[Nice decoy, Shiro.]
Daiki Tetsuya

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:09 am Reply with quote
Nice, this anime is awesome!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:18 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

Yeah this was really funny, the siblings mixed with Steph looks like good times. And the best parts were probably seeing the characters break, like Steph spoiler[hitting her head over the visions], Sora spoiler[realising he did not make a great decision], and the siblings spoiler[separating]. The ED also sounds really nice for some reason.

And now I can't help but think of Sorata and Mashiro when the siblings are bouncing off of each other.

I think I might really like this show, they don't seem to have automatically jumped into showing the other races yet despite most of the audience wanting it. I do feel a little sad that the OP shows primarily one gender.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:33 pm Reply with quote
this show is hilarious, and some great character interactions. the colors are a little distracting, but I'm enjoying this quite a bit
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:50 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't have thought that asking someone to spoiler[fall in love with you] would count as a "small" favour. But then, I wasn't consulted when that world was set up, so whatever. I have to admit, it is quite a funny situation, and Steph's reactions in both her states are quite amusing.
Akeema

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:27 pm Reply with quote
ookamigirl wrote:
Another game anime?
Those seem to be popular lately.
First SAO, then Log Horizon, now this.
Seems like each anime season has one.
This one seems to be a crossover of a sort.
The animation is kinda flashy.
Story is ok, but not appealing enough to watch this series.
Skipping this one.

My thoughts exactly. Just tried watching the first ep and stopped after the first few minutes. Are we to expect one of these "trapped in video gameland" shows every freakin' season? Seems very lazy if you ask me
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 11