Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Idol Warship


Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Stark700



Joined: 30 Jan 2012
Posts: 7519
Location: Earth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually a fan of most idol theme series like The Idolmaster, Love Live, etc. As far Sakurasou though, I definitely agree that some of the pacing and episodes doesn't work out right. It also omitted bits from the LN. Anyways, sweet collection there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AsherFischell



Joined: 24 Feb 2014
Posts: 278

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Look, Bamboo, you're not the intended target audience for Nyaruko; that show is made specifically for people with brain damage.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Utsuro no Hako



Joined: 18 May 2012
Posts: 425

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:33 pm Reply with quote
AsherFischell wrote:
Look, Bamboo, you're not the intended target audience for Nyaruko; that show is made specifically for people with brain damage.


Also Lovecraft fans who've always wondered, "What would happen if Japan gave the Mythos the same treatment they've already given international politics, small arms, and WWII fighter aces?"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sailor S



Joined: 20 May 2009
Posts: 2874

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:40 pm Reply with quote
My main problem with Sakurasou is that Sorata is way too whiny and angsty. Seriously, life isn't fair, so when stuff doesn't go your way you don't have to throw a temper tantrum. And that's the thing that really irritates me about this, and many other series. The characters throw straight up temper tantrums. Hey, it's fine to be angry, I get angry when things don't go the way I want them to. But I have always accepted that these things are going to happen, and I'll be angry in private. No good comes of acting like a 6 year old in front of other people. By all rights he shouldn't have any friends because no one wants to be around someone who acts like a little brat just because things don't go his way. But, I guess I have low tolerance for anime that tries to be too "real". I enjoy my slice of life anime, but I also want my MCs to jump in that robot and not whine about it. I guess that's my biggest pet peeve. I don't mind characters showing emotion, I just don't want them to whine incessantly about things.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
CrownKlown



Joined: 05 May 2011
Posts: 1153

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I am sorry I have disagreed with some of Bamboo's reviews before but not is a bigger joke than this one.

Really you are going chastise Nyaruko, which is a really funny "harem" comedy, that inverts or spoofs a lot of classic harem notions, makes funny references to other current animes, yea it takes Eldritch Abominations that would kill your mind and makes them loveable characters who crawl up to you with a smile.

I mean just take a look at the makeup, it appears to be a harem, then it turns out one harem member is actual a lesbian for Nyrauko, and Hastua is a trap. So instead of just having a typical harem, its turns into more of an odd love triangle.

And what perplexes me, is that you have liked DxD, which I will admit I like better, but at the same time, I don't think there is a particularly big difference between the two.

Look I would not have a problem with you disliking it, but then you also have the gaul to call a show that bland as they come in AKB0048, which I made the mis fortune of buying, shelf worthy. This show is as generic as they come, for God's sake, Idolmaster, Rinne, generic all female cast show enter here.

I mean honestly your reviews both past and present, read less like a well thought out reviews, ie based on something tangible allowing an individual to forecast how you would review similar works and get an idea of your tastes, and more like "O snap, time to write my column, let me get out my dart set, and throw them randomly, and then cobble together something. Rhyme and reason, who needs that, not like I am journalist anything, hehehe".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shaterri



Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 66

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:03 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to think that in a better world, NIS would have wound up with Kids On The Slope and Penguindrum, and Sentai would've wound up with Nyaruko. If ever a series didn't need the beautiful NIS treatment, it's this one.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DmonHiro



Joined: 06 Jan 2007
Posts: 2158
Location: Romania, Bucharest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
Also Lovecraft fans who've always wondered, "What would happen if Japan gave the Mythos the same treatment they've already given international politics, small arms, and WWII fighter aces?"

Gonna be honest with you, a few years back, I actually DID have a conversation about how Japan could moe-fy even Cthulu. Anyway, I loved Nyarlko, but only because I watched it in a group. I don't know if I actually enjoyed the show, or the company of friends while watching the show...

AKB0048 on the other hand, was freaking awesome. I didn't watch the 2nd season yet, but the 1st one was great. Never gonna forget that particular rendition of "Beginner". That was more intense then whole seasons of other mediocre anime.

PS: To the guy two posts above: Generic? How the heck is AKB0048 generic? I don't know how many shows about idols battling government agencies in space you've see, but this was my first one.
Do you even know what the word means?
1. Non-brand. This has AKB48's name all over it. Strike 1.
2. Non-specific, nondescript. Same as the point above. Strike 2.
3. Very plain or undecorated. While debatable, I don't think you can call idols in space fighting the anti-fun agency plain. Can't be undecorated either, since it's very detailed and colorful. Strike 3.
YOU'RE OUT!


Last edited by DmonHiro on Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
dtm42



Joined: 05 Feb 2008
Posts: 13274
Location: NZL

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:14 pm Reply with quote
I wish Mahiro had a male seiyuu. A female seiyuu is fine for prepubescent male characters, as there is no real difference between the two genders until puberty. But Mahiro is fifteen or so and in high school, so it's disconcerting to hear him with a voice that is obviously feminine.

----------

Bamboo, the show has more than three jokes. You're focusing on the "everyone loves Mahiro" aspect of the humour rather than the many different jokes that carry such humour across. For example, the characters express their love and craziness in several ways. My favourite is when Nyaruko remarks at one point (and I'm paraphrasing), "The mother always comes around [to accepting her son's choice of lover] when her grandchild is born." So yes, it's more "I want to be pregnant with his baby" humour, but the specific joke is funny and doesn't get repeated.

I also wonder why the fork thing would even bother you. It's not like Mahiro is seriously trying to injure them, nor did he ever just do it out of the blue. After all, you had absolutely no problem with Naru punching Keitarou, even when he didn't even deserve it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Managing Editor


Joined: 05 Jan 2002
Posts: 3872
Location: The OC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:19 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:

I mean honestly your reviews both past and present, read less like a well thought out reviews, ie based on something tangible allowing an individual to forecast how you would review similar works and get an idea of your tastes, and more like "O snap, time to write my column, let me get out my dart set, and throw them randomly, and then cobble together something. Rhyme and reason, who needs that, not like I am journalist anything, hehehe".


Wait, but... if you always disagree with my reviews, then... doesn't that allow you to forecast how I'd react to certain shows, and give you an idea of my tastes? If you always like the shows that I dislike, then it seems to me that you've got your barometer right there.

I feel like what you're saying is, "I don't understand why you dislike this show that I like, and why you like this show that I dislike. Why aren't your reasons more in line with mine?"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Managing Editor


Joined: 05 Jan 2002
Posts: 3872
Location: The OC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:27 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Bamboo, the show has more than three jokes. You're focusing on the "everyone loves Mahiro" aspect of the humour rather than the many different jokes that carry such humour across. For example, the characters express their love and craziness in several ways. My favourite is when Nyaruko remarks at one point (and I'm paraphrasing), "The mother always comes around [to accepting her son's choice of lover] when her grandchild is born." So yes, it's more "I want to be pregnant with his baby" humour, but the specific joke is funny and doesn't get repeated.


What I've highlighted above is the same point I made in my review, which is that it's always just variations of the same three jokes. So you're right, even though the jokes aren't repeated verbatim, they are still variations of the same joke. "More" of the "I want to be pregnant with his baby" jokes = the same joke.

Quote:
I also wonder why the fork thing would even bother you. It's not like Mahiro is seriously trying to injure them, nor did he ever just do it out of the blue. After all, you had absolutely no problem with Naru punching Keitarou, even when he didn't even deserve it.


This is actually an interesting point, and something that my stance has changed on over the years. For several years now, whenever someone asks me if I've ever changed my mind about an anime, I've always said, "Yes, Love Hina." When I first saw Love Hina, I hadn't seen a lot of anime yet. And I enjoyed it, because it was new to me. Mind you, I must have been around 15 at the time. Actually, by the time I finished Love Hina, I already disliked the show (with the exception of the Christmas special, which is delightful). But over the years, that particular trope -- girl punches guy even though he didn't deserve it -- has increasingly gotten on my nerves, and in fact, it now drives me crazy. It is amongst the Top 3 things I dislike about generic harem shows, next to "cooking contest" and "she's 12 but she wants your babies anyway." So my dislike of so-and-so punching/forking/stabbing/axing such-and-such is not gender-specific. It makes me angry when shows use the ol' "guy wanders in on girl and gets punched" because I think it's lazy writing, and it makes me really dislike the female character.

My particular dislike of the fork-in-head is mostly because it's disturbing. There's a scene where Nyaruko stands up and literally has a fork sticking out of her head. Now, I do not condone Nyaruko's treatment of Mahiro, but I also think that sticking a fork in someone's skull-- even if they're an alien-- is a little disturbing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
sakurahitagi



Joined: 12 Jan 2014
Posts: 33

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:35 pm Reply with quote
I watched the Nyraruko shorts and first season and yeah I really didn't like it. It got really repetitive, and when most of the humor revolves around molestation, you can count me out. I really wonder how well it will sell for NIS.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Takkun4343



Joined: 19 Jul 2007
Posts: 146
Location: Gahanna, Ohio

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:47 pm Reply with quote
I agree with Bamboo so, so much on Nyaruko.

In watching that show, I finally understood what it was like for my father when he watched the first nine minutes of the first episode of Family Guy. That is, it was a mess of sex jokes and pop-culture references that made me feel more uncomfortable than I've ever been.

I actually liked Shining Hearts more than Nyaruko, and not just because of my Production I.G bias.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Shaterri



Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 66

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Also, on a completely non-Nyaruko note:
Quote:
[...] beneath that layer of lazy writing is a really good story that's simply just too insecure about its ability to sell without fanservice.

This seems to be a distressing trend of late. This encapsulates everything I didn't care for about Maoyu (Well, except maybe for the lackluster way the anime ended), and it's exactly how I feel about No Game No Life right now: a fundamentally really good series, with snappy writing and characters that could be interesting, and an outright gorgeous visual design (bright, abstracted visuals from someone non-SHAFT, yay - it reminds me some of Gatchaman Crowds that way, though with even better design), that just can't quite escape the morass of its own fanservice.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
maximilianjenus



Joined: 29 Apr 2013
Posts: 330

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:59 pm Reply with quote
ah takkun mentioned it already but, while i agree with what it says the review somehow does not say that nyaruko is plagued with pop culture references, though a lot of those are japan specific, there are a lot that should not scape a western viewer, like the delorean ; the show actually has more pop references than mahiru rape jokes.

also mahiru is one of the few justified harem leads, because he is in the right by refusing nyarlatothep's seduction if ou have read about lovecraft being seduces by a nyarlathotep is a bad idea.

akb is just amazing, it also has a lot of references to the real group, some scenes are even verbatim to stuff that happened in real life, chieri's scene was very moving for me because I also watching it's real life equivalent.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AsherFischell



Joined: 24 Feb 2014
Posts: 278

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
My main problem with Sakurasou is that Sorata is way too whiny and angsty. Seriously, life isn't fair, so when stuff doesn't go your way you don't have to throw a temper tantrum. And that's the thing that really irritates me about this, and many other series. The characters throw straight up temper tantrums. Hey, it's fine to be angry, I get angry when things don't go the way I want them to. But I have always accepted that these things are going to happen, and I'll be angry in private. No good comes of acting like a 6 year old in front of other people. By all rights he shouldn't have any friends because no one wants to be around someone who acts like a little brat just because things don't go his way. But, I guess I have low tolerance for anime that tries to be too "real". I enjoy my slice of life anime, but I also want my MCs to jump in that robot and not whine about it. I guess that's my biggest pet peeve. I don't mind characters showing emotion, I just don't want them to whine incessantly about things.


I agree that whininess is irritating, but the thing about Sakurasou is that the characters are teenagers who have only recently discovered what they want to do and have not only experienced their first failings, but have done so while living under the same roof as people who are succeeding with natural talent while they fail despite the large amount of effort they put in. The entire point of the show is that there's no point in moaning and groaning because life is unfair, but the characters, just like real people, have to discover that themselves. However, in order to discover that, a certain amount of teenage angst is necessary, because as previously stated, the characters are teenagers who don't yet have the life experience to shrug and go, "well, that's life."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group