• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yo-Kai Watch Anime Offered to Broadcasters & Licensees in the Americas

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:45 am Reply with quote
I'm a little bit concerned about this line:

Quote:
"We look forward to presenting this property, repackaged suitably for the Americas, to broadcasters this Spring."

How the heck do you localize a show that is heavily tied into Japanese Folklore and the like to make it more American?

I'm baffled by that.
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:58 am Reply with quote
ChibiGoku wrote:
I'm a little bit concerned about this line:

Quote:
"We look forward to presenting this property, repackaged suitably for the Americas, to broadcasters this Spring."

How the heck do you localize a show that is heavily tied into Japanese Folklore and the like to make it more American?

I'm baffled by that.

I agree with you there
Mister Ryan Andrews

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Well it just it wont be based in Japan or involving Japanese folklore anymore Rolling Eyes But yeah, Youkai Watch is one of the worst anime you could do that too given it's so deep-seated in Japanese culture it'll be jarring at best and insulting at worse. Gotta wonder how they'll handle some of the Yokai too given a lot of them used to be alive and were killed in some horrific/bizarre ways. Like Jibanyan being a cat who was hit by a car and then abandoned by his owner to die in the middle of the street because she didn't want him anymore after being crippled. Jinmenken being a perverted middle-aged salaryman who was killed alongside a poodle and the two fused together and now uses his dog-like status to his advantage to perv on girls and urinate in public because he's lazy.

Also gotta wonder how they'll sell the merchandise here. In the show the gimmick is gashapon machines. All the real life medals are sold though those gashapon machines to mirror the show. But gashapon machines aren't a thing in America so I'm not sure how they'll sell the medals/toys here.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:57 pm Reply with quote
'Quite a bit surprised that Yōkai Watch is going to be featured on American TV.
I have to agree with the above- I honestly don't see how this show will fare well under localization, due to it being so centered on Japanese folklore.
Jex2193

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:07 pm Reply with quote
I think they should leave it as is and make it into a way to teach about Japanese folklore, but like that's ever gonna happen.
Still, it is surprising that it's being offered to air here.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Dentsu has to make their monies. They're Japan's largest ad company by far. They're big corporate. And this is for all Americas.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:14 pm Reply with quote
This is kinda nice, but as I read some forumites' comments and the article, I agreed how are they going to show this to little kid since they're not familiar with Japanese culture, and who's going to pick this up, I doubt Funimation or Sentai would pick this up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:55 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

and who's going to pick this up, I doubt Funimation or Sentai would pick this up.

Not if Dentsu wants to get it on TV.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:23 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

and who's going to pick this up, I doubt Funimation or Sentai would pick this up.

Not if Dentsu wants to get it on TV.

It might not do well on TV, but on streaming site like Hulu or Dramafever (there is a dedicated section for kid, BTW), maybe.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CheerSong

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:38 am Reply with quote
Just because they've offered it up doesn't mean the networks will bite.

Big cheer for them calling it "Yo-Kai" though!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1