• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Takahiro Sakurai/Cloud Strife VA Blamed for Plagiarizing

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dernhelm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:13 pm Reply with quote
what a bizarre turn of events. remember how the Death Note artist got arrested for carrying a huge knife? people then were joking about how he's been consumed by his dark fictional creation, Raito/Light. something along the same lines has happened to Takahiro Sakurai, a popular and prolific seiyuu/Japanese voice actor (who's done big time roles such as Cloud Strife of the Final Fantasy VII series, Shun Ukiya of Gatekeepers, Susumu of Peacemaker Kurogane, Yuri of Kyou Kara Maou and has a handful of new anime this fall season), just as his character in another series he headlines, Innocent Venus, recently took a turn for the worst.

according to this post in the seiyuu lj comm, it seems that Sakurai has landed himself into some serious trouble. long story short, "it seem like Sakurai-san imitated some of [a popular scriptwriter's] work and used it as his own drama play." the scriptwriter is known not to give permissions for his plays on being used. Sakurai's company, "joy2006," knew it, altered the play, changed the title, and went on to perform it.

Sakurai and his group have already apologized on their site. he himself issued out a public apology on a radio show from which he will be stepping down from as host. he will be retiring from radio and live performances for a while (such as the upcoming Kyou Kara Maou event which has his name already removed from the list). there is no word yet regarding animation projects, but he will continue finishing the projects he has already signed on to.

Last edited by Dernhelm on Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:40 pm; edited 3 times in total
Dernhelm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:31 am Reply with quote
actually, he's in danger of retiring very early, knowing how fussy the Japanese are with trust and legalities. and it's also likely his contracts with his current projects will also be cancelled with him being replaced. he might not be able to bounce back from this, at all.

anyway if there's anyone interested, here's a recording of his public apology after one of the many shows he hosted before.

Takahiro Sakurai's Public Apology (1:31, 1.40 MB)
translated by soubi_no_kissu @ LJ

"This is Sakurai Takahiro. I would like to make an announcement to the listeners of the this program. Although it has already been announced in the home page, the performace that I, Sakurai Takahiro, took part in (called) "Eternity" was (originally) a work entitled The Trap of the Tokyo Sunshine Boys, by playwright Mitani Kouki that was changed in title, and performed with one section (of the script) modified. This was an act of copyright infringement and was an act that is not permissible. I deeply regret (my actions).

Recently I met directly with Mitani-san and was granted the opportunity to speak with him. At the meeting, I was taught to contemplate what was necessary to change about myself and my conduct from now on. (He wanted) me to think on my own about my own situation and consquences and to convey my feelings in my own words. I have given thought to my actions as a professional, and how as a result I have placed (you all) everyone in a very uncomfortable situation. I received a great many reprimands, as well as many words of encouragement. At the same time that I have felt regret (for my actions), I was very happy (to receive words of encouragement).

From this recent situation, I have come to realise the position I am in, and how many people have been here to help and support me. To those who have come to see me on stage, as well as the fans who have been supporting me, and the community at my workplace - to those many people I have caused a great inconvienience. I offer my deepest apologies. I offer my apologies to everyone.

I have taken this situation deeply to heart, and for some time, as a self-imposed repentance, I will be withdrawing myself from performances. I truly apologize."

EDIT: For more detailed info on this incident, click here.

EDIT2: fixed translation, to the more correct one

Last edited by Dernhelm on Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:33 pm; edited 6 times in total
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:34 am Reply with quote
At least he made an apology... I can't believe that one of my fave seiyuu did that -_-U
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Curtis W.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:04 pm Reply with quote
I would like to know what possessed him to do that. His career has to be ruined now. So sad. Surprised
Dernhelm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Curtis W. wrote:
I would like to know what possessed him to do that. His career has to be ruined now. So sad. Surprised

they're saying it wasn't exactly him who edited the script and it's possible that he didn't know anything about it too. he's just getting the lion's share of the blame for being the acting troupe's leader.
Curtis W.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Dernhelm wrote:
Curtis W. wrote:

they're saying it wasn't exactly him who edited the script and it's possible that he didn't know anything about it too. he's just getting the lion's share of the blame for being the acting troupe's leader.

well then he should be ok, if he did not know about it.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Retire, eh? Just when I've started to really like his presence. If he didn't know about it, there's not really much he can do. I'm sure things will work out if he just cooperates and lets things fall into place on their own.

But to force him into retirement just like that? It's just as extreme as the lady who sued McDonald's for the coffee incident. "No harm, no foul" would be my policy. Unless this absolutely sent the original creator into some kind of financial or social ruin, why should it be that big a deal? Copyright is infrigned all over the world and they decide to take it out just on Sakurai-san?

It's just like local law enforcement, "wrong place at the wrong time." Is copyright infringement that big a deal over there?
Lapis Lazuli Lolita

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:50 pm Reply with quote
If he gets forced into early retirement, who will take his place in shows that are still running?
Dernhelm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:23 am Reply with quote
first, i corrected the translation. i thought it was the same as every recording but it turns out there were some new developments like Sakurai was able to meet up with the scriptwriter he offended.

Curtis W. wrote:
well then he should be ok, if he did not know about it.

you see, it isn't so easy over there where to us here on the outside, cases like these could easily be settled with an ample fine or any legal settlement where afterwards everything about it is virtually forgotten (i'd like to think of Hollywood actors with drug or criminal cases, worse scenarios). but the Japanese tend to get really emotional about it, even now he's suffering the backlash of angry mobs over at 2ch.

plus, it's not about being the one who really edited it or for simply being oblivious about it. it doesn't seem to be an excuse anymore if you hold the most important position especially over there, one way or another you bear the full responsibility, which is why he is so pitiful right now because he's taking the brunt of the consequences. in a society like Japan, this blotch in your career is enough to make companies reluctant in hiring you back. so it all really depends on his behavior in the future, the faith of people who still open the door to him, and the reaction of the fans. but it seems certain that he won't be able to return to the popular status he once before had.

PS. some speculate that his position in Square Enix as their rep (he has become very influential all because of Cloud) has been compromised and will now be transferred to Mamoru Miyano, KH's Riku

edit:

Tony K. wrote:
It's just like local law enforcement, "wrong place at the wrong time." Is copyright infringement that big a deal over there?

like i said, the Japanese are extremely touchy about these sort of legalities, and it goes beyond that too. fans think that their trust has been somehow betrayed or something, and he's going against not just loyal fans of the famous scriptwriter (famous enough to have ties with the more popular SMAP) but even fans of his own (the people who paid for those tickets to the plagiarized play included i guess). knowing the Japanese mentality, it may be something akin to driving someone to commit seppuku for dishonor.

a similar case has happened to D.Gray-man's mangaka from what i can understand where it was rumored that she was suspected, went on leave, and when she came back changed her artwork. they say there's also another case, a shoujo mangaka this time where she drew something that was exactly the copy of another scene in a very famous manga. it was just a scene and not the entire story that was copied, but for that she basically lost her job because her manga was put on hiatus and copies were recalled.

Last edited by Dernhelm on Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:42 am Reply with quote
Wow, I never thought Japanese society was so petty and unforgiving. And over what? A guy who peformed a portion of someone else's play? This will shift the momentum of all Nihon entertainment as we know it, right?

Give me a break. The guy makes one blunder as insignificant as this and everyone's on his back. I once made reference to Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz in a high school essay, but where was Bandai Visual and Sotsu Agency then?

People can get so worked up over nothing some times.
Lapis Lazuli Lolita

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:50 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:

Do you remember what happened with the Wachowski brothers and the Matrix plagarism case? From what I recall, they had to pay up 7 to 11 digits or so. Everything has a price, and in a society where honor is top tier, stealing can be rather costly. In this case, it can cost you a career.
Dernhelm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:50 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Wow, I never thought Japanese society was so petty and unforgiving. And over what? A guy who peformed a portion of someone else's play? This will shift the momentum of all Nihon entertainment as we know it, right?

Give me a break. The guy makes one blunder as insignificant as this and everyone's on his back. I once made reference to Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz in a high school essay, but where was Bandai Visual and Sotsu Agency then?

i just made additional comments to your query, but about the one you just said, sigh, it's nothing we outsiders can really do about it. i mean, think about it, to us it's nothing and it's nothing like being accused of more serious crimes like rape, homicide, drugs, etc. it's a whole different eastern mentality from the western one we're so familiar of. it really is frustrating for us fans from the outside who care.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:04 am Reply with quote
Forgive me if I come across as being very ignorant, but doesn't a lot of their anger have to do with the Code of Bushido? Or at least a Code of Honor that everyone knows, accepts and understands?

The Code of Bushido may not have the obvious impact that it did at one time. But wouldn't it be one of those things that are ingrained into the Japanese consciousness or unconsciousness. That regardless of whether or not you think about it everyday, it is a part of you and your society.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:05 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I do care. I like the fact that people can do what they do and do it well. In this case, I'm really starting to like his voice acting, and I'd just hate to see it end like (*snaps fingers*) that. But yeah, I can empathize with whole difference in eastern/western mentalities. Being asian myself, though raised in western society, I've witnessed, leanrned about, and personally partaken in a few of these eastern environments. It really is different, but it still seems a bit frustrating for this particular situation.

I guess honor and the samurai code aren't dead just yet over there Razz. I just hope he doesn't commit seppuku or anything extreme like that Shocked.
Dernhelm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:14 am Reply with quote
seppuku or suicide, they're both scary. *is reminded by the recent news of that Ojaru Maru series creator who killed herself because she thought she was useless (TF!?!?)* i just hope he's tough or stern enough taking these mental attacks head on. but it's a good thing that he got to talk with that scriptwriter and that the famous scriptwriter isn't downright angry with him and appears kinda forgiving (the scriptwriter doesn't like otakudom, btw, but associates Sakurai like the SMAP guys, as an idol), or-more importantly-that he's getting words of encouragement at least in places. i don't care if he doesn't return to full star seiyuu status like he was just before this incident blew out of proportion where he's practically everywhere. (LOL, i just liked him too and i don't want to start getting sick of hearing him either XP) i'll be glad he'll be able to return even if it's for a few but stable roles, as long as he doesn't disappear forever.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2