• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bayonetta's Platinum Games Makes Legend of Korra for PC & Consoles

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:44 am Reply with quote
Good timing! Season 3 of Legend of Korra starts this tonight! I've given up hope that'll it'll ever be as good as ATLA was (I blame the fact that they don't have the same writers. I especially miss Aaron Ehasz, the head writer for many ATLA episodes and the one who famously convinced the creators to make Toph a female character). The show is still fun and it is gorgeous when Studo Mir does the animation!
iloveturkey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:56 am Reply with quote
Development started in the summer, and is being released in the Fall. With nary a second of gameplay footage in the announcement, and the screenshots you can see look like a Gamecube game. In addition to it being a budgeted downloadable only titles, it's also being headlines by Activision. All the signs of a hastily thrown together shovel-ware.

I'm honestly surprised they're even bothering. They're not hiding the fact Nickelodeon is over Korra already. From the poor ratings of the second season, to half the third season airing in Mexico before America before even an airdate was announced in America. I imagine the only reason it's airing tonight is because of the episode leak and they figure they may as well air it now. A 3 episode premier usually signifies they're burning through the batch of episodes they have as quickly as possible. It's never a good sign when networks do that. I think Nickelodeon regrets buying all the episodes upfront a few years ago.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:17 pm Reply with quote
iloveturkey wrote:
Development started in the summer, and is being released in the Fall. With nary a second of gameplay footage in the announcement, and the screenshots you can see look like a Gamecube game. In addition to it being a budgeted downloadable only titles, it's also being headlines by Activision. All the signs of a hastily thrown together shovel-ware.

Everyone's that's played it so far says it's great. Also, Activision's just producing the title, Nickelodeon actually reached out to Platinum to make this game.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:25 pm Reply with quote
It's really a shame. As a big ATLA fan, Korra started with so much promise but the storytelling and characters just did not live up to its predecessor.

That 4 episode leak from the Mexican site was a death knell for this season, and I agree that Nickelodeon might be just trying to burn through the episodes....but it's hard to tell, because children's networks are weird when it comes to scheduling cartoons, even ones they like that have decent fan bases. ATLA had a notoriously horrible airing schedule, and shows like Gravity Falls on Disney were rescheduled and shifted around so much people didn't know how many seasons aired (just the first one so far). I'll never forget how upset I was when Young Justice on Cartoon Network went on a sudden months long hiatus right after coming back from a scheduled months long hiatus!

As for leaks, they can happen with any show.

re: Video game: Ever since Korra's first season fans have dreamed about a Wii or Kinect style Pro Bending game where you'd get to physically bend the elements. This looks so generic in comparison. *sigh*
iloveturkey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:08 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Everyone's that's played it so far says it's great. Also, Activision's just producing the title, Nickelodeon actually reached out to Platinum to make this game.

Who exactly is 'everyone'? Producer and publisher are a big part of games like these. Platinum may be developing it (though whether it's just a side project for their interns remain to be seen.. remember Studio Pierrot animating the show? Name alone doesn't mean it'll be their best effort) but Activision and Nickelodeon are the ones calling the shots. You can bet they'll have no qualms telling Platinum to do things if they want it to appeal to kids more, both in mechanics as well as any of the violence/sexual themes Platinum is known for. I just hope people have a tight leash on their expectations if they're hoping for something like Metal Gear Rising, Wonderful 101, MadWorld, or Bayonetta.
partially

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Try going to some actual games websites, there are a few previews for the game around. And yes they are generally pretty positive. Although I agree the graphics look crud, although they look somewhat better in the screenshots around. Nowhere near the level of Bayonetta.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:55 pm Reply with quote
It's Platinum so it will be worth checking out even though I've never watched anything regarding this show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1