• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Haruhi Suzumiya Campaign Site, DVD Menu Designer Katie Schroeder Passes Away

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:37 pm Reply with quote
So sad to see someone die so young
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm very sad to hear about that, my heart goes out to her families. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:24 pm Reply with quote
R.I.P.
deaththekid666

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Way too young to go out...especially like that. RIP.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Though I haven't bought the said DVDs, condolences to her loved ones for losing someone talented to such a horrendous condition. She helped bring Haruhi here and she deserves credit for this.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:15 am Reply with quote
I remembered Haruhi Suzumiya in its craze back in 2006, and then towards the end of December, that mysterious SOS Brigade website went viral and lots of peeps went nuts. I remembered staying up all night just to see what the new updates were. From that point on to Bandai's licensing announcement, to the dub cast reveals, and then to the actual release was one of the most exhilarating moment I have ever had as an anime fan.

Yeah, she will be missed! Crying or Very sad
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:26 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
I remembered Haruhi Suzumiya in its craze back in 2006, and then towards the end of December, that mysterious SOS Brigade website went viral and lots of peeps went nuts. I remembered staying up all night just to see what the new updates were. From that point on to Bandai's licensing announcement, to the dub cast reveals, and then to the actual release was one of the most exhilarating moment I have ever had as an anime fan.

Yeah, she will be missed! Crying or Very sad
I remember those days too, man. That was some great marketing and design on her part. It's very haunting to see her forum posts from just last month up...
LordRichard

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:06 am Reply with quote
I hoped so badly I could have had people see who created the idea for those mysterious symbols and links that started off the hilarious campaign, and give her some final credit for what she's done while she could still see and appreciate it and see people's comments during her last days.

Too many people... their good works aren't known or appreciated until after they're gone, and I didn't want her to be one of those.

Alas, it was not to be, the cancer progressed too quickly and she passed away suddenly last night in her sleep. Her mother was by her side.

There's some solace in that we all were silently watching behind the scenes at the time and enjoying everyone's reactions. She loved silently plotting and schemeing things for people's enjoyment, and relished it. Seeing people's reactions was great.

something I wrote earlier today in a journal entry:

I'm currently on a cruise ship on my way back to Boston. There's a lone bird flying outside my window, even though we're hundreds of miles from land still. Part of me wonders if it's her, she loved birds. I so very wish she could have been here, she would have loved this boat. Actually, I wish she could be anywhere, as long as she is there.

The buffet cafe radio is playing "I'm so out of love, I'm so lost without you." I am silently crying into my pasta... I've been crying for the past two days to be honest. She was a good friend and business associate.

I wish she knew how much we all loved her.

She always thought of others ahead of herself, those words she spoke earlier to her mother overnight of "Don't worry, everything will work out" were probably meant for everyone.

The seas were very rough last night, waves were high, the entire ship rocked heavily. The heavens poured down, like God Himself was crying.

The skies are partly clear today, and the seas have calmed down.

I feel like Peli is at peace, wherever she is, and will always be with us.

So it's not really goodbye... But welcome home.

She was active in the anime/manga, Babylon 5, Dragonriders of Pern, and Steampunk communities, among others... I remember she loved Vandead and Last Exile so much she made (unofficial) fansites for them that people visited.

If anyone has thoughts, memories, or photos or just wants to say kind words, please leave them at the Caring Bridge memorial website for her parents and family to see. They have so few photos and memories of her, I want to piece together her life so they know how many people she's been able to touch and make happy over the years.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:51 am Reply with quote
I wasn't around in those days but I've seen the ASOS Brigade videos on the Haruhi DVDs and they were hilarious. It's a real shame that companies don't do cool things like that anymore.

Considering how much I loved the videos this news is quite saddening for me. RIP
mgosdin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:02 am Reply with quote
I wasn't active in Anime at the peak of things, but I still heard about the Haruhi phenomena. Now I have all the DVD's and understand what the excitement was about. You can see Ms. Schroder's passion and joy in what she did, we are always diminished when someone like her passes.

Requiescat in pace et in amore.

Mark Gosdin
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:45 pm Reply with quote
I remember Pelianth as a poster around the anime internet boards and didn't realize she was behind the SOSBrigade site. It makes me sad she's gone (didn't even realize she was a she but I tend to never think about those things unless something specific comes up). The Brigade site as really fun - I remember going to check out the latest hidden messages on it back, sometimes hourly, when the show was coming out. I'm not sure what else to add at this point but it always makes me sad to think fellow posters disappear and pass on and we don't realize it's happening until it's too late Crying or Very sad
Sailor Star Dust

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Too young to go. Sad

May she rest in peace.
Crisha

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:46 pm Reply with quote
My deepest condolences to friends and family.

I want to purchase those DVDs now just to see her work. I wish I would have been able to see the website in its heyday. It sounds like an amazing launch imagined by a creative, passionate woman.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gorilla491

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:19 pm Reply with quote
I remember that campaign so well. I used to check the site for it like everyday back in my high school years. Such an awesome campaign! Rest in Peace Katie, Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1