• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Berserk Manga Returns in August After 2-Month Hiatus

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:20 pm Reply with quote
And I'll look forward to it of course.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ninjapet

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Miura must have gotten bored of playing im@s OFA already
Monster Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:19 am Reply with quote
Does anyone know the reason for the multiple and long hiatuses this manga goes through. Is it the same situation like HunterxHunter where the mangaka is just chronically ill or what. Because this manga has been going on now 24 years and only has 335 chapters out that is crazy long for this story.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:43 am Reply with quote
Monster Hunter: I imagine in Miura's case that it's about the planning he has to go through to pull off his elaborate settings.
Sorraffy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:43 am Reply with quote
i look forward to the impending hiatus once it returns (and I've no doubt this next one will be much longer).

Seems pretty obvious at this point this manga will "end" incomplete
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:55 am Reply with quote
Monster Hunter wrote:
Does anyone know the reason for the multiple and long hiatuses this manga goes through. Is it the same situation like HunterxHunter where the mangaka is just chronically ill or what. Because this manga has been going on now 24 years and only has 335 chapters out that is crazy long for this story.

Maybe he's just lazy. If he had a family to take care of, I can see that causing many hiatuses (this is justifiable).

A more extreme case of a manga taking a long time to fficially reach the final chapter comes from Cyborg 009. It started July 19, '64 and the final chapters were released in February online. With the creator also working on many other projects (heck, Ishinomori's workload was likely on that of his sensei, Tezuka himself), I wouldn't blame him for it taking a long time.
scriver058

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:11 am Reply with quote
I've all but given up hope of him finishing this while I still give a damn. With any luck, our grandchildren will see the end of Berserk.
LinkSword

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:11 am Reply with quote
So excited for this comeback. Knowing Miura I'm sure he'll put together his shit and bring us a whooping three chapters in a row! Such a dedicated author, it's impossible to hate him.
lhernan02

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:31 am Reply with quote
scriver058 wrote:
I've all but given up hope of him finishing this while I still give a damn. With any luck, our grandchildren will see the end of Berserk.

I am not sure I care anymore, I just follow it because I do and I will keep following it in the hope it returns to its roots. For the last five years or so its been a miscellaneous shonen manga (a beautifully drawn one, but shonen nonetheless) and while the new arc shows some promise (at least its top notch eye candy with the cityscapes), the fact that the leads so far are precocious tween characters does not bode well for a return to a seinen series.
bigivel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:17 am Reply with quote
Monster Hunter wrote:

This manga doesn't go in multiple and long hiatuses like you think!
In reality this 2 close consecutive hiatus is a rare occurrence(And we Berserk fans hope it still keeps that way).
Note that the first hiatus that took 1 year, Miura wasn't in reality in hiatus, he was working, but in other manga.

The reason you think this manga is always in hiatus is because of his release schedule!
Berserk isn't a weekly manga nor a monthly manga! Berserk has a weird schedule!
Berserk runs in a biweekly magazine, Young Animal, but Berserk alternate from running, during 2 months, to not running, during 3 months. So basically, 4 chapters during the 2 months running(1 chapter every 2 weeks) and then stop for 3 months. This makes around 8-12 chapters per year(average of 10 chapters), basically a volume.
In this schedule Miura still works everyday, but he takes 1.25 months(one month and a quarter) to make each chapter.
Toriko36

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:55 am Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:
Monster Hunter wrote:

This manga doesn't go in multiple and long hiatuses like you think!
In reality this 2 close consecutive hiatus is a rare occurrence(And we Berserk fans hope it still keeps that way).
Note that the first hiatus that took 1 year, Miura wasn't in reality in hiatus, he was working, but in other manga.

The reason you think this manga is always in hiatus is because of his release schedule!
Berserk isn't a weekly manga nor a monthly manga! Berserk has a weird schedule!
Berserk runs in a biweekly magazine, Young Animal, but Berserk alternate from running, during 2 months, to not running, during 3 months. So basically, 4 chapters during the 2 months running(1 chapter every 2 weeks) and then stop for 3 months. This makes around 8-12 chapters per year(average of 10 chapters), basically a volume.
In this schedule Miura still works everyday, but he takes 1.25 months(one month and a quarter) to make each chapter.

Great explanation!

I also cannot stress this enough, but for those complaining about the long waits between releases, have you seen his artwork? It's absolutely gorgeous and breathtaking. Compare a volume of Berserk to a volume of Bleach and it's as clear as day as why it takes Miurasan so long to complete one chapter compared to Kubosan's Bleach. I'm not putting down Bleach by any means but when you have something like Bleach where 80% of the time the background is nothing but big blocks of black and white and then you look at a few panels of Berserk and the detailed armor, trees, background, sky, etc. It's very clear that Berserk is far superior in artistic detail and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Proud to say Berserk is my absolute favorite title. I own everything on Berserk, TV series, films, artbooks, figmas, OST's and manga. Love it and can't get enough.
bs3311

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:00 am Reply with quote
@bigivel & Toriko36

Could'nt have said it better myself. Except that this wasnt even a hiatus when the author wrote at the end of the chapter that the next one would be published around the summer. This was'nt a, "see you next time." text. They at least told us when the next chapter was going to come out, not specific but still a well needed notice.

Plus for all the people complaining. This series is a privalege for us to read. Not a right to constantly complain for more. Just sleep with something, or go outside. Thats what I learned from waiting so long for chapters of the best seinen manga of all time that kills AOT. And when I see shonnen fans crying over 2 week hiatus's which seem so shocking that youtubers post the crap out of it, I feel like chuckling inside.

Ihernan02 wrote:
For the last five years or so its been a miscellaneous shonen manga (a beautifully drawn one, but shonen nonetheless) and while the new arc shows some promise (at least its top notch eye candy with the cityscapes), the fact that the leads so far are precocious tween characters does not bode well for a return to a seinen series.

Given that the gear that Guts uses which is given reasons to be used, thats all I see shonen related to this series. The child characters like Isirido and Sherike make Luffy and Maka look like dried up waste of potential IMO. Plus Isy and Sheri actually use there brains instead of blindly going into fights head-on like regular shonnen characters. Isirido started out like that, but he discovered the bad result of doing that which changed his outlook on doing the first hit. We still dont know if Isma is going to stay in the group for the WHOLE journey. And Serpico and Farnese are young adults with an aristocratic childhood/drama, so they are nowhere near tween characters.

I can agree though that the Sea God arc was pointless which made the characters close to shonnen cliche's given the story in the arc at hand.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:03 am Reply with quote
Looking forward to see Berserk making a comeback.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lhernan02

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:45 am Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:
Given that the gear that Guts uses which is given reasons to be used, thats all I see shonen related to this series. The child characters like Isirido and Sherike make Luffy and Maka look like dried up waste of potential IMO. Plus Isy and Sheri actually use there brains instead of blindly going into fights head-on like regular shonnen characters. Isirido started out like that, but he discovered the bad result of doing that which changed his outlook on doing the first hit. We still don't know if Isma is going to stay in the group for the WHOLE journey. And Serpico and Farnese are young adults with an aristocratic childhood/drama, so they are nowhere near tween characters.

I can agree though that the Sea God arc was pointless which made the characters close to shonnen cliche's given the story in the arc at hand.

Frankly, I would forgive Guts' "powering up" (it makes sense story wise, although he has been pushing it a bit much lately), but the sidelining of Serpico and Farnese (you could write a whole seinen manga about those two alone) for shonen stock characters like Isy and Sheri (they are children acting like children in an adult setting, thus the shonen angle, rather then the fighting style) is a bit much. Also, the two resident lolis have crushes on their respective seniors (not reciprocated so there is no creepiness, but for such an adult manga, it is a complete waste of space (earlier, the fairy arc had a ton of lolis and that was top notch as opposed to the current cute girls helping their beloved seniors groove)).

Anyway, as I said, I am not dropping it because of its current state, even if it never returns to its previous story/character glory, it is still the most beautiful manga out there. Also Miura gave a "shout out" (or "draw out") to my favorite painting (Bosch's Garden of Earthly Delights), so he has me until the end regardless of where the story goes.
Ulinox

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:14 am Reply with quote
Awesome. Hope he starts releasing chapters more frequently now. And that he works as much on the story of the manga as he does the art during every hiatus. Can't wait!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2