• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Network On-Demand Expands

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
According to the press release, Anime Network now has "over 95% penetration to all VOD-enabled households.

So the availabilty is there but more importantly are people really using it? I mean it's on my TV but when I whent to check what series were available there were any titles I cared for.
Nebs

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Insight, yes! Finally I can get Anime Network while down at school.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Cuprin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Enjoy it while you can.... Apparently AN likes opening new areas, giving them a nice wide selection, then choke them down to nothing.

Comcast is looking forward to a whopping two new episodes this week, and thats if you count the one that's 5 mintues long.
SoloButterfly

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:24 am Reply with quote
darn..I was hoping that Verizon would have picked them up. we just switched from comcast and while I do get the Funimation Channel now, which is nice, I miss having TAN on Demand and Adult Swim on Demand. Time to call verizon and pester them...
potassium

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:15 am Reply with quote
Cuprin wrote:
Enjoy it while you can.... Apparently AN likes opening new areas, giving them a nice wide selection, then choke them down to nothing.

Comcast is looking forward to a whopping two new episodes this week, and thats if you count the one that's 5 mintues long.

Not only that, but many a time they'll stop updating series you've been following.
NeXT_Alchemist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Does that mean all Insight will have it? Or selected states with it....
empress

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Cuprin wrote:

You should blame Comcast instead. You do know that Comcast puts a limit on how much hours a month of VOD material can be put on it right? Half of Anime Network content is free on Comcast, the other have is on PayPerView because Comcast does not have a subscription system. The last week update was pretty good for you Comcast viewers - FMP, new episodes of Kaleido Star New Wings, Jinki and Comic Party revolution.
A lot of Anime Network providers other than Comcast and TWC put on a lot of material as they have better VOD systems.

Anime Network SVOD is also a different package than what you get with Comcast free VOD. You should not equate the two.

I have CableVision Anime Network SVOD and we get almost 20 episodes a week. Just because Comcast sucks it doesn't mean Anime Network sucks. It just depends on your provider and whether you use VOD or Anime Network SVOD. For $6 a month, I think I am getting a great deal and bargain. We SVOD users get so many new ADV anime and a lot of great oldies.

I love the service. I can not afford to buy more than 5 to 10 DVDs a year, but through CableVision Anime Network SVOD I have been able to watch GetBackers, Full Metal Panic, Full Metal Panic Fumoffu, Kaleido Star, Princess Tutu, Madlax and a lot of the new releases.
varmintx

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:52 pm Reply with quote
[quote="NeXT_Alchemist"]Does that mean all Insight will have it? Or selected states with it....[/quote]

Same damn question...
Josh7289

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Too bad I have Service Electric Cable TV & Communications...They don't give me anything special beyond what everyone with cable has. They're such a boondocks company...
NeXT_Alchemist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:40 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
Same damn question...

Nice to see another person from Kentucky. Very Happy Hopefully we get lucky an our insight will have it.
Ergzay

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:50 pm Reply with quote
While Anime Network is nice we still don't have any subtitled stuff. I do not watch english dubbed anime _period_. So other than occasionally grabbing it just to watch the opening of an anime I don't use it. If they actually got subtitled stuff on there that would be the first ever time (other than that one miyazaki weekly marathon on TCM) I have seen subtitled anime on tv. Oh and yes I am on comcast.
tripperdan99

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Ergzay wrote:
While Anime Network is nice we still don't have any subtitled stuff. I do not watch english dubbed anime _period_. So other than occasionally grabbing it just to watch the opening of an anime I don't use it. If they actually got subtitled stuff on there that would be the first ever time (other than that one miyazaki weekly marathon on TCM) I have seen subtitled anime on tv. Oh and yes I am on comcast.

That will put you at a disadvantage because most all licensed product will get "dub'd" and the only way to get the "sub'd" look is to get the DVD and play sub with the orginal Japanise audio or stick with fanservice.

I could be wrong on this, but it's been my experience so far.
Cuprin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:55 pm Reply with quote
empress wrote:

You should blame Comcast instead. You do know that Comcast puts a limit on how much hours a month of VOD material can be put on it right?

And this time last year Comcast was getting a lot more updates that it is now. Has comcast suddenly made that limit more restrictive?

Last week was a good update week. This week we're back to an episode of Papuwa II (a series that so far makes absolutely no sense to me, not ever have seen whatever it was based on), and five more minutes of The Fuccons. What the hell? Why is garbage like that even getting air time?
Mylene

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:32 am Reply with quote
Ergzay wrote:
While Anime Network is nice we still don't have any subtitled stuff.

Well, that answered the question I've been having ever since I heard about this. I mean, I assumed it was only dubbed, but I wasn't entirely certain. I was going to dig around and see if I couldn't find it, as I hve Comcast (which really bites for cable service in my area, alll of our digital shows get terrible reception--but it's better for broadband than Insight was), but I don't think I'll spend the time on it now. (I don't mind dubs, I just prefer watching things in their original language--French movies in French, anime in Japanese, etc.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1