• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 'Urbance' Animation Project Runs Kickstarter With Animation Director Hiroshi Shimizu

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:22 am Reply with quote
I really wish they stopped with these projects, trying to globalize anime industry completely with western influence.
Nope, nope, nope.
BrainBlow

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:33 am Reply with quote
Sunny milk wrote:
I really wish they stopped with these projects, trying to globalize anime industry completely with western influence.
Nope, nope, nope.

You're deluding yourself if you think anime itself came about in some sort of vacuum.
Osamu Tezuka, the godfather of anime and manga as mediums, was a huge fan of Disney's Carl Barks, and his art style was heavily Disney inspired, and he in turn inspired a whole generation himself.
And why NOT have "western influence"? Moeshit is what sells and dictates industry trends in Japan. I think that says enough.

Also, French animation in general is already heavily inspired by anime, so this is hardly going to be some big animation revolution.
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:57 am Reply with quote
Isn't this that cartoon a bunch of people who care about social justice got upset over? Something about homosexuality, or was it racism? I remember a big stink about this a month ago or so

Sunny milk wrote:

Little late there Rolling Eyes They've been doing this since the 80s. All those cartoons you watched as a kid? Animated in Japan. Ever wonder why 80s cartoons had so much better intros? Yeah.. nothing new.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:08 am Reply with quote
This thing. They tried to get money the old fashioned way for years and never could.
junglebook

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:57 am Reply with quote
At least their appealing to a mass audience?
Z-Zvia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:01 am Reply with quote
BrainBlow wrote:

You're deluding yourself if you think anime itself came about in some sort of vacuum.

Did he ever say the opposite? You are deluding yourself with your lack of logic. Rolling Eyes

BrainBlow wrote:
"Osamu Tezuka, the godfather of anime and manga as mediums, was a huge fan of Disney's Carl Barks, and his art style was heavily Disney inspired, and he in turn inspired a whole generation himself.

Drawing inspiration from something in order to create something better is different from deteriorating something with a bad influence, didn't you know? I guess not. You don't even understand the point of the OP's post, in the first place.

BrainBlow wrote:
And why NOT have "western influence"? Moeshit is what sells and dictates industry trends in Japan. I think that says enough.

Because moe has been created and dictated by western people? Stop deluding yourself.
By the way, you don't even try to hide the fact that you are a moe-hater. Putting a personal opinion into an illogical "argument", I think that says enough. Rolling Eyes

BrainBlow wrote:
Also, French animation in general is already heavily inspired by anime, so this is hardly going to be some big animation revolution.

Yep. And we all agree on the fact that it is extremely horrible. Perhaps except for a few people like you Smile

Lavnovice9 wrote:
Little late there Rolling Eyes They've been doing this since the 80s. All those cartoons you watched as a kid? Animated in Japan. Ever wonder why 80s cartoons had so much better intros? Yeah.. nothing new.

You don't even try to understand what he wrote, yet you dare to reply Rolling Eyes
Take the time to think before talking about people being late.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:12 am Reply with quote
Over $100,000 CAD for an 8-min. pilot? Unless they already are using it, Flash animation could be cheaper/quicker.
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:23 am Reply with quote
I'm actually surprised there's a person who can see further than hating on "moeshit" (which they hate exactly because it's not part of their western values).
BrainBlow

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:56 am Reply with quote
Z-Zvia wrote:
BrainBlow wrote:

Did he ever say the opposite? You are deluding yourself with your lack of logic. Rolling Eyes

You throw the word "logic" around, but clearly do not know what the word means.

Z-Zvia wrote:
BrainBlow wrote:
"Osamu Tezuka, the godfather of anime and manga as mediums, was a huge fan of Disney's Carl Barks, and his art style was heavily Disney inspired, and he in turn inspired a whole generation himself.

Drawing inspiration from something in order to create something better is different from deteriorating something with a bad influence, didn't you know? I guess not. You don't even understand the point of the OP's post, in the first place.

Uh, no, it's the exact same thing. He only uses the words" western influence."

Z-Zvia wrote:
BrainBlow wrote:

Because moe has been created and dictated by western people? Stop deluding yourself.
By the way, you don't even try to hide the fact that you are a moe-hater. Putting a personal opinion into an illogical "argument", I think that says enough. Rolling Eyes

Western people are responsible for moe?
Laughing
And then you have the gall to act as if I'm the one throwing "personal opinion" around.
You're really bad with words and their meanings, you know that?

And yes, I suppose my years long love for anime like K-ON!, Acchi Kocchi, Chobits, Working!!, Shinryaku! Ika Musume and several others is just a hoax.
I totally hate aaaaall things moe in anime, clearly. It's not merely that me allegedly hating moe is the cornerstone of your attempt to discredit me.
Rolling Eyes
Z-Zvia wrote:
BrainBlow wrote:

Yep. And we all agree on the fact that it is extremely horrible. Perhaps except for a few people like you Smile

Oh do we now? "we all" agree that French animation is all terrible?
Say, what was that thing you said about "personal opinion as argument" again?
And yes, I'm sure the Wakfu kickstarter reached 483,524 CAD because people simply hate French animation so much they feel compelled to give away their money.

Z-Zvia wrote:
Lavnovice9 wrote:

You don't even try to understand what he wrote, yet you dare to reply Rolling Eyes
Take the time to think before talking about people being late.

You really love to act like there's some sort of great truth behind the OP post beyond its face value.
I smell sockpuppet account. Actually, probably not, for the following reason:

Sunny milk wrote:
I'm actually surprised there's a person who can see further than hating on "moeshit" (which they hate exactly because it's not part of their western values).

Oh? But I was just told by your friend here that moe was created BY westerners.
Laughing

Last edited by BrainBlow on Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:02 am; edited 4 times in total
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:57 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Over $100,000 CAD for an 8-min. pilot? Unless they already are using it, Flash animation could be cheaper/quicker.

This project has been around for years, and their high standards have scared off most would-be investors. A running joke on a bunch of forums about animation when people complain about the lack of Western cartoons on animation blocks (read: Toonami) was that Urbance doesn't exist.

And it will likely continue to not exist.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:08 am Reply with quote
Hmm...I'm not sure what to make of this show.

"Homosexual Discrimination?"

Perhaps this show, Urbance, is trying to showcase a social issue concerning sexual preference, but in a different light?
I think I'll have to wait for more info to see if this anime show is worth my time to watch. Neutral
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:22 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Hmm...I'm not sure what to make of this show.

"Homosexual Discrimination?"

Perhaps this show, Urbance, is trying to showcase a social issue concerning sexual preference, but in a different light?
I think I'll have to wait for more info to see if this anime show is worth my time to watch. Neutral

It has to exist first.

Which it doesn't.
GateCrusherDX

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:21 am Reply with quote
Lavnovice9 wrote:
Isn't this that cartoon a bunch of people who care about social justice got upset over? Something about homosexuality, or was it racism? I remember a big stink about this a month ago or so

Sunny milk wrote:

Animated in Japan using "American animation directors". There's a good reason why "Batman TAS' Sunrise episode"s are far more fluid than let's say, "Escaflowne" or "Big O" and even Bruce Timm said those sucked animation wise. Japanese animators aren't that good without foreign animation directors and their less lax style of direction, which is evident seeing as 10,000 cels is considered "OVA" quality, when Batman TAS has more in a single episode. Exceptions are Production IG, ufotable, Bones, KyoAni and Ghibli.
Anti_Nadalista

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:08 pm Reply with quote
GateCrusherDX wrote:
Lavnovice9 wrote:

Sunny milk wrote:

Animated in Japan using "American animation directors". There's a good reason why "Batman TAS' Sunrise episode"s are far more fluid than let's say, "Escaflowne" or "Big O" and even Bruce Timm said those sucked animation wise. Japanese animators aren't that good without foreign animation directors and their less lax style of direction, which is evident seeing as 10,000 cels is considered "OVA" quality, when Batman TAS has more in a single episode. Exceptions are Production IG, ufotable, Bones, KyoAni and Ghibli.

WTF?

Tms never needed American directors, they make storyboards for the Koreans even. And cybersix has better animation than Batman TAS. The animation for feat of clay was all done by them. Bruce Timm was impressed by it but I guess you didn't read that interview.

People are so clueless in this site sometimes is amazing. And the reason why you don't see more stuff like that in anime is because of schedule and budget.

The next thing you will see in this forum is people saying that Americans invented kanada style and the Itano circus.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:

I think we should applaud any western studio which doesn't resort to Flash animation. It's all too common nowadays. Especially in France. The primary reason I can't get into French animation is it's all Flash/CG animated and looks terrible. Such is the way when your industry is not very big, I suppose.

BrainBlow wrote:
Uh, no, it's the exact same thing.

I would say there is a big difference between western influence in anime and anime influence in western animation. Tezuka was inspired by Disney, yes, but nobody could mistake Tezuka's art style for anything resembling modern anime, which is about where the influence ends. In addition, Tezuka's writing was leagues ahead of what we were doing back then even if the animation resembled old black and white American cartoons. Meanwhile, modern influences of anime in western anime seem to boil down to mere art style or getting a Japanese studio to animate it. No western animator has yet taken an anime art style and then revolutionized the entire industry like Tezuka did. Most just take the an anime art style and produce the same show that would have existed if they had used an American art style.

People who boil Tezuka down to just being a copier of art styles don't seem to understand what truly made him a pioneer.

Anti-Nadalista wrote:
Tms never needed American directors, they make storyboards for the Koreans even. And cybersix has better animation than Batman TAS. The animation for feat of clay was all done by them. Bruce Timm was impressed by it but I guess you didn't read that interview.

I agree, that comment seemed odd considering how much praise Timm gave TMS and the Japanese animators, even going so far to state that only they could have animated the series the way he wanted and as well as they did. Timm would be the first one to disagree with him.

-Stuart Smith
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2