Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Chaika - The Coffin Princess Avenging Battle


Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Stark700



Joined: 30 Jan 2012
Posts: 11529
Location: Earth
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:06 pm Reply with quote
There's a lot of buildup so far with events that seems to involve most of the major and side characters. I think Vivi will play a pivotal role later on considering her circumstances too. But anyways, this show is on the right tracks imo so hopefully will continue to follow that path. I kinda like the first OP song better than this season's though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DangerMouse



Joined: 25 Mar 2009
Posts: 3725
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah, to follow up on that point, the use of the major and side characters was something that I really enjoyed right from the start with how the show seemed to naturally use most of it's cast in how it effortlessly shuffled back and forth from Chaika's group to Gillette's and made both groups entertaining, fun, and compelling to watch.

Loved the first season, so glad it's back.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
angelmcazares
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 23 Sep 2010
Posts: 4426
Location: Iscandar
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:29 pm Reply with quote
I agree 100% with Paul that you do not need an original or unique concept for a show to be good if it well executed. The first season of Chaika was a surprise to me because the first episode was filled with cliche action and characters, but thing turned around for the good.

I appreciate that the producers understood that with appealing characters and a somewhat tired, but intriguing, premise, they could make an exciting show. I liked the first season a lot, and I hope that AVENGING BATTLE continues to be appealing and has a strong conclusion.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Cyclone1993



Joined: 05 Jul 2011
Posts: 944
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:56 pm Reply with quote
There's literally nothing I can say about this show that won't make me sound like a huge fanboy. Because I am a huge fanboy. No ifs ands or buts about it!

The first season was the anime I was looking forward to most this year, it was by my favorite anime studio, and put all of my favorite traits of an anime girl, into one character. I watched the series, and I fell in love with it. I've seen the first season twice, and some episodes at least three times.

That said this season is still fantastic. Its moving at a quicker pace, because collecting the remains isn't the main draw anymore, its the mystery that will probably drive the last half of the series.

It's a shame that its only 10 episodes, but at the way its looking now, they will certainly be good episodes!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DangerMouse



Joined: 25 Mar 2009
Posts: 3725
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, would have loved if they had atleast 12 again like the first season. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lizardking461



Joined: 14 Feb 2012
Posts: 226
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:59 pm Reply with quote
"In a medium that's filled to the brim with ambitious story ideas and novel visual styles".
Ha... haha... hahaha... to the brim... ambitious stories...
Oh wow.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Northlander



Joined: 10 Feb 2009
Posts: 768
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
There isn't much of an attempt to recap past events, so any newcomers would be well advised to start from the beginning.

And I, for one, appreciate that. It's nice when a show treats me as if I actually CAN keep a thought or memory in my head for longer than a week. Or a day. Recaps are not necessary at all, and I can't really fathom why anyone would start watching any show at any other point than from the beginning.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
CoreSignal



Joined: 04 Sep 2014
Posts: 720
Location: California, USA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Paul's review is spot on. This is a fun, fantasy adventure show with a fun cast. I also loved the banter between the main characters. The battles are little more low-key than the first season so far, but I'm expecting that to change as the story unfolds. I'd say this is one of the best fantasy shows we've seen in a long time.

DangerMouse wrote:
Oh yeah, to follow up on that point, the use of the major and side characters was something that I really enjoyed right from the start with how the show seemed to naturally use most of it's cast in how it effortlessly shuffled back and forth from Chaika's group to Gillette's and made both groups entertaining, fun, and compelling to watch.

Loved the first season, so glad it's back.

Yeah, one of the my favorite things about the show as well, everybody in the main cast gets lots of screen time, with maybe the exception of Fredrika. But I'm guessing she'll be more involved in future episodes.

Cyclone1993 wrote:
That said this season is still fantastic. Its moving at a quicker pace, because collecting the remains isn't the main draw anymore, its the mystery that will probably drive the last half of the series.

It's a shame that its only 10 episodes, but at the way its looking now, they will certainly be good episodes!

Like DangerMouse said, I wish we had those 2 extra episodes this season. Just a little more would've been great. That said, this show has great pacing, (though maybe a little fast). There's no filler so far, there are no scenes, conversations, or battles that drag on.

Cyclone1993 wrote:
I watched the series, and I fell in love with it. I've seen the first season twice, and some episodes at least three times.

I wish Sentai would hurry up and announce a release date for the blu-ray/dvd'Smile'
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
angelmcazares
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 23 Sep 2010
Posts: 4426
Location: Iscandar
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4

I liked this episode a lot. We learned some vital background information to make more sense of where the series will ultimately end up.

I agree with most of the review, but I disagree with the idea that this episode was not one of the best in the series. I think this was a needed and well done episode. Also, I am afraid the fast pace of episode 4 might become the staple because only 6 episodes are left. Like the reviewer, I also want to continue seeing more of the characters' charm and banter, but I will happily sacrifice some of that in favor of a solid conclusion.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Cyclone1993



Joined: 05 Jul 2011
Posts: 944
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3 is in my opinion one of the best in the series, but episode 4 isn't all that bad either. They are finally almost beginning to unravel the mystery behind Chaika. Which is one of the most interesting things in the show.

The banter was reduced in this episode, but I'm sure it will be returning in full force if they unite.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PHOliveira88



Joined: 26 Sep 2014
Posts: 13
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Plus, we finally learned that Emperor Gaz's secret plan was spoiler[to create his own Hatsune Miku]. How could that not be a good episode?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
angelmcazares
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 23 Sep 2010
Posts: 4426
Location: Iscandar
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:27 pm Reply with quote
PHOliveira88 wrote:
Plus, we finally learned that Emperor Gaz's secret plan was spoiler[to create his own Hatsune Miku]. How could that not be a good episode?


+1
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
L'Imperatore



Joined: 24 Mar 2014
Posts: 449
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:44 am Reply with quote
Episode 4 in a nutshell... using Chaika's words: "Shocking truth!"
Still, the revelation doesn't explain why the Chaikas' physical features are (almost) identical. I mean, those eyebrows couldn't be that common, right? Confused

PHOliveira88 wrote:
Plus, we finally learned that Emperor Gaz's secret plan was spoiler[to create his own Hatsune Miku]. How could that not be a good episode?

And we get to see spoiler[that unicorn] again! Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CoreSignal



Joined: 04 Sep 2014
Posts: 720
Location: California, USA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:49 am Reply with quote
Another good episode, another good review. We didn't get as much fun banter as we usually do, but I thought all the plot revelations almost made up for it. I disagree that the previous three episodes were slow, I thought the pacing was fine. Anyway, I'm looking forward to spoiler[seeing both Chaikas team up], should be some great action next episode.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Wrangler



Joined: 11 Nov 2007
Posts: 1245
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:42 am Reply with quote
I think were going start seeing some "avenging" going on after this revelation.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group