• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Japanese Film Pros Ranked Their Top Movies to Show Kids, with Ghibli Titles Sweeping the T

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:49 pm Reply with quote
I don't know, some of those movies, like Seven Samurai, I think would be better appreciated AFTER they've turned 13, not before.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
I don't know, some of those movies, like Seven Samurai, I think would be better appreciated AFTER they've turned 13, not before.

I will agree with you on that. Seven Samurai ain't exactly little kid material.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
albanian

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:18 am Reply with quote
I did raise half an eyebrow when I didn't see Kiki's Delivery Service on the list at all - especially not ahead of Seven Samurai (or even Nausicaa to be really picky).
MasterGhost

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:42 am Reply with quote
If I were a voter, just for trolling sake:

1. Confessions
2. Grave of the Fireflies
3. The Madoka Movie Trilogy
4. Rebuild of Evangelion Tetralogy
5. Mardock Scramble Trilogy
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:14 am Reply with quote
I don't think many Ghibli films are that good for kids personally. There are some themes that only more mature viewers can dissect and parse through. I have never liked Ghibli films as a child, but I have gained a newfound respect for it recently.
Fam Fan Fan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:13 pm Reply with quote
I don't really consider Spirited Away to be kids material. Sure it teaches important lessons children should learn, but the way it goes about doing so is rather dark and depressing.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:56 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Emerje wrote:

I will agree with you on that. Seven Samurai ain't exactly little kid material.

I'd always wondered whether it was good AT thirteen material, if you beat in the point about "Where Jedi knights came from". Cool
Although The Hidden Fortress is much safer for that age group.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:21 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

I'd always wondered whether it was good AT thirteen material, if you beat in the point about "Where Jedi knights came from". Cool
Although The Hidden Fortress is much safer for that age group.

This I will agree with you on that. Razz
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Oh so happy to see I was Born But on the list.

I have the remake Good Morning recorded somewhere as well but haven't watched it yet.
Guile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Keep in mind we are talking kids film in Japan. In Japan, a lot of movies which are PG-13 or R rated in America are marketed for kids in Japan and receive either no Eirin rating or a kid-friendly rating. They are much more lenient than the west is. Seven Samurai and Ghibli's films are perfectly kid appropriate in Japan.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Many great films here!! My ratings:

My Neighbor Totoro 10/10
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind 10/10
Laputa: Castle in the Sky 10/10
Seven Samurai 10/10
Good Morning (お早よう) 9/10
The Castle of Cagliostro 9/10
Spirited Away 10/10
Twenty-Four Eyes 7/10 (slightly boring)
Tenkōsei (Exchange Students) Not watched.
Otoko wa Tsurai yo ("It's Tough Being A Man") Not watched.
I Was Born, But... (later remade as Good Morning) 9/10
Typhoon Club Not watched.
Whisper of the Heart 10/10
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time 9/10 (the 2006 animated one, not the 1985 live action one which I haven't watched)
Night on the Galactic Railroad 9/10

A must watch list for any fan of film in general. Best movies to show kids? These are the best movies to show to anybody!
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
Keep in mind we are talking kids film in Japan. In Japan, a lot of movies which are PG-13 or R rated in America are marketed for kids in Japan and receive either no Eirin rating or a kid-friendly rating. They are much more lenient than the west is. Seven Samurai and Ghibli's films are perfectly kid appropriate in Japan.

In Japan kids are treated with more respect by film makers and storytellers than in the US. They don't underestimate a kid's capacity to feel strong emotions and their intellectual capacities as well. Stuff that's regarded adult in the US is kiddie stuff in Japan as well. Evangelion is super popular among 12 year old Japanese kids for instance.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
In Japan kids are treated with more respect by film makers and storytellers than in the US. They don't underestimate a kid's capacity to feel strong emotions and their intellectual capacities as well. Stuff that's regarded adult in the US is kiddie stuff in Japan as well. Evangelion is super popular among 12 year old Japanese kids for instance.

And then again, "The Adventures of Milo & Otis" was one of Japan's top domestic-grossing movies of all time... Confused
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:56 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

And then again, "The Adventures of Milo & Otis" was one of Japan's top domestic-grossing movies of all time... Confused

Did you know that Milo & Otis is a re-edited, re-written (for the narration) and rescored version of the Japanese original? I don't know if it's any more mature or childish than the American version but you can't really use an American trailer against it either.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:
Did you know that Milo & Otis is a re-edited, re-written (for the narration) and rescored version of the Japanese original? I don't know if it's any more mature or childish than the American version but you can't really use an American trailer against it either.

Point was, I expect it's a situation like that Azumanga Daioh episode where Sakaki goes to the "kiddy matinee" of a girl reunited with her lost kitten--
And as the parents leave, we hear one little girl say "Mommy, that older girl cried through the whole thing!" Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2