• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Cat's Eye Sub.DVD [2015-03-10]

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:31 am Reply with quote
Yeah, this season really does drag. You can tell TMS was more invested in trying to reboot Lupin at the same time, 'cus this arc of Cat's Eye is pretty much on autopilot. Plus, it probably didn't help that Hojo was already getting ready to move on to City Hunter by then.
Desslok

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:02 pm Reply with quote
So, pretty much pick up the first season, skip the second and it's all good, huh?
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Desslok: You can watch both, and get something out of both. I wouldn't give it a D like she did. But if you want an actual ending, then you have to import the manga. Crying or Very sad I'm going to guess the inevitably lower ratings caused TMS and/or the broadcaster at the time to kill the show. But it would've been nice if they sprung for an OVA to wrap up the main storyline.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:59 pm Reply with quote
I agree with the previous commenters that this review is pretty spot on. Though Rebecca's observation that "some" of the storylines in the second season strain credulity is... an understatement. They're all completely preposterous! Not that it matters really.
When I started the second set, I was really bothered by adjustments to the character designs, making them more angular and to my mind less attractive.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:04 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
You can tell TMS was more invested in trying to reboot Lupin at the same time, 'cus this arc of Cat's Eye is pretty much on autopilot.

Sometimes sacrifices have to be made to produce something like the immortal Pink Jacket.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel, I have no idea what you're talking about. Sad Confused
Philmister978

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:43 pm Reply with quote
ailblentyn wrote:
I agree with the previous commenters that this review is pretty spot on. Though Rebecca's observation that "some" of the storylines in the second season strain credulity is... an understatement. They're all completely preposterous! Not that it matters really.
When I started the second set, I was really bothered by adjustments to the character designs, making them more angular and to my mind less attractive.

I think we'll agree to disagree, but I thought the animation (reused footage aside) looked a bit better than the first season. I don't know why, but the animation looked a little rough and half-assed during the first half at points. Like they couldn't get the hang of the designs.
MrBear16

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:33 am Reply with quote
"Uncomfortable Holocaust episode"? That alone makes the set a must buy. Though, I planned to buy it anyway.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:16 am Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:

He's making a reference to the Lupin III series. The several seasons are generally known in terms of the color of Lupin's jacket. So you've got the green season (1st season), then the red season (season 2) and finally the pink season (3rd season) which was mediocre and more or less reviled by fans of the franchise. The pink jacket series came around the same time of Cat's Eye second season.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:17 am Reply with quote
nbahn: Look up Lupin Part III on Hulu. Wink

Cptn: Most of the show is pretty mediocre, but I did get a kick out of eps 18 and 23...Also, while I'm in the minority, the show's movie tie-in, Legend of the Gold of Babylon is a favorite of mine, too.

Last edited by GATSU on Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:59 am; edited 1 time in total
blaizevincent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:39 am Reply with quote
I binged watched both seasons of the show.

I just loved the formula and enjoyed it enough to watch a disc a day.

Great show
Philmister978

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
nbahn wrote:

He's making a reference to the Lupin III series. The several seasons are generally known in terms of the color of Lupin's jacket. So you've got the green season (1st season), then the red season (season 2) and finally the pink season (3rd season) which was mediocre and more or less reviled by fans of the franchise. The pink jacket series came around the same time of Cat's Eye second season.

Actually, Pink Jacket Lupin came out just right after.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1