• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sky Wizards Academy (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:20 am Reply with quote

Sky Wizards Academy (TV)

Genres: action, magic
Themes:

Plot Summary: Humanity was driven off the land by the threat of magical armored insects and now live in aerial floating cities. Its defenses lie in wizards who fight the insects with magic in mid-air. Kanata Age is a young man who lives on the floating wizard academy city of "Misutogan." He was once celebrated as the "Black Master Swordsman," the elite ace of the S128 special team. However, he is now despised as the "traitor of the special team." One day, he is assigned as the instructor of E601, a team that has suffered 10 consecutive defeats. E601 has three girls — Misora Whitale, Lecty Eisenach, and Rico Flamel — with one or two peculiar quirks.
----------------------------------

Episode 1:

That was kinda meh. Although we get introduced to the main girls, I don't like Misora much. I hope her character improves more in this season although it's just the first episode.

The series also started pretty fast as well. I hope we get to learn more about Kanata and his background. There's some world fiction and mechanics (relating to school and magic). I expect more complicated stuff to be explained later. Music is a plus in this show though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if I've ever actually seen the "running around a corner with bread in mouth" thing actually played straight (as opposed to as a joke about tropes) before today.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

I honestly have no idea why I decided to watch this, but credit where credits due, it wasn't as dire as I thought it might be after that opening 3D beetle army scene.

None of the characters have really jumped out at me during the first episode, except Kanata because he seems like a right a***hole and his reaction to being caught trousers down was pretty much, "Meh, do you want anything?"

The soundtrack was pretty good though.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:25 pm Reply with quote
I might give a try for a couple more eps, but the first episode certainly did not catch me.

As anime collective viewers go we have watched similar series, what may be lacking in this case may simply be execution if the first ep is any indicator.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:14 am Reply with quote
A number of people seem to be creating a fuss at it being generic full of tropes, show we see multiple times done. I am not hating on it, the hero seems competent enough and more no nonsense than being embarrassed about everything. And a female narcissist on Kanie's level, might be interesting.

Nothing to get me in hate mode. But I do really want to understand why everyone seems to hate him after it looking like he did something good.
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Oh hey it's Kirito's VA in one of these... AGAIN. We got the basic stuff: red haired tsundere, magic high school, harem and... devil beetles? It was extremely underwhelming, but I knew what I signed up for.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

Better than last week. I thought the whole reason they branded Kanata a 'Traitor' was pretty naff though.

The training session between Kanata and the three girls was pretty good, even if they all couldn't work together The episode then finished off with some fan service in the locker room, with Kanata walking in (purposely, in my opinion) at the wrong time once again.... Pervert!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:03 am Reply with quote
It seemed that "traitor" is more a nickname he has been branded with for not taking the strongest team forward, rather than him being a literal traitor. Surely an adult would see he has some level of trauma.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:18 pm Reply with quote
I can see some potential in this show now. Seeing those 3 become a better team with Kanata's help ought to be interesting enough for me to keep on watching. Maybe we'll even have a tournament or something along the way.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4

I can't help but to notice how similar Misora is to Claire from Blade Dance of the Elementalers not just in appearance and personality, but also having a similar past and lament for lack of power. I liked this episode. I think it did a good job in portraying the relationship between Misora and her mother. Although he appeared in the previous episode I don't know who that weird looking dude who has the hots for Yuri is, but I hope he doesn't turn into some jealous villain with a lame ass excuse to hate/attack Kanata.

It would be interesting if that blonde dude who in the past was in the same team as Kanata, ended up being the love interest for Lecty.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:10 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
It would be interesting if that blonde dude who in the past was in the same team as Kanata, ended up being the love interest for Lecty.

At least it would not be such a cliché harem, these sort of shows have a ba habit of putting the main character on a pedestal compared to other male characters like they are all the enemy.

The story was sad. But I really liked how her mother acted, it made it still a fun episode.
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:20 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

At least it would not be such a cliché harem, these sort of shows have a ba habit of putting the main character on a pedestal compared to other male characters like they are all the enemy.

Yeah I wish more shows would have multiple pairings instead of one guy bogarting all the girls for himself.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
I can't help but to notice how similar Misora is to Claire from Blade Dance of the Elementalers not just in appearance and personality, but also having a similar past and lament for lack of power.

I think having a dead/forgotten mother is significantly different from having a sister turn traitor and your family stripped of nobility.

Anyways, I think the show is doing a pretty good job with advancing its characters, both Lecty last week and Misora this week. Now it's Rico's turn.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:51 am Reply with quote
Still trying to decide if I want to stick with this, but the last couple of episodes weren't as narcotic as the first one was.

So did I sleep through the explanation, or have we been told yet what the deal is with the Naturals and why they forget? Are Naturals just muggles?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:36 am Reply with quote
no explanation yet as to why dead Wizards are forgotten
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4