• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Love Live! Film Earns 1.65 Billion Yen Since June 13

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wiitard119

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:37 am Reply with quote
holy crap that's amazing for a non-Ghibli japanese anime film about idols dancing and singing. I bet many of the money came from repeated watchers of the LL fans.

Nico is best girl.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:05 am Reply with quote
wiitard119 wrote:
I bet many of the money came from repeated watchers of the LL fans.

Yes, because of the bonuses. I know my friend (female) has watched the movie at least three times to get the different bonuses.
TsukasaHiiragi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:12 am Reply with quote
Nice :3 I can't wait to see the movie. I just started collecting Love Live! merchandise :3
Ejc

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:26 am Reply with quote
wiitard119 wrote:
holy crap that's amazing for a non-Ghibli japanese anime film about idols dancing and singing. I bet many of the money came from repeated watchers of the LL fans.

Nico is best girl.

That's a rather simplistic assessment for LL. If it was as one-dimensional as just having singing and dancing idols, it would not be so popular in Japan. Imagine watching a whole cour of just live performances...

In response to the repeat watchers for the movie... yes this is what is obviously happening, but it is not a new concept. K-ON!, Idolmaster, and Madoka Movie 3 are big examples of who have done this sort of thing. All 3 of those movies had 8 weekends worth of visitor benefits, but Idolmaster had the most individual visitor benefits for movie watchers. I don't see a problem with this though, as true fans want to collect every single piece of their favourite franchise. So why not exploit what you can?

Now we have this standing after 5 weeks in.
Madoka 3: ¥1,677,159,700
Love Live!: ¥1,654,997,960
K-ON!: ¥1,327,000,000
Idolmaster: ¥497,495,458
bigivel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:49 am Reply with quote
wiitard119 wrote:

Nico is best girl.

Not really, while this are amazing numbers it isn't in any way that amazing number compared with other non-Ghibli anime movies

Best franchise sales:
Doraemon -> 8.38 billion yen
Youkai Watch -> 7.64 Billion Yen
One Piece -> 6.85 Billion Yen
Evangelion -> 5.26 Billion Yen
Detective Conan -> 4.26 Billion Yen
Wolf Children -> 4.22 Billion Yen
Pokemon -> 3.61 Billion Yen
Dragon Ball -> 3.23 Billion Yen
Madoka Magica -> 2.08 Billion Yen
Naruto -> 1.940 Billion Yen
K-ON! -> 1.90 Billion Yen
Shin-Chan -> 1.83 Billion Yen

I believe that this movie can possible still reach Madoka Magica movie sales, though hardly, but more than that it will most certainly not happen.
Ejc

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:42 am Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:
wiitard119 wrote:

Nico is best girl.

Not really, while this are amazing numbers it isn't in any way that amazing number compared with other non-Ghibli anime movies

Best franchise sales:

I believe that this movie can possible still reach Madoka Magica movie sales, though hardly, but more than that it will most certainly not happen.

All the movies you listed are considered mainstream, except Madoka and K-ON!. So it doesn't really make much sense to compare mainstream franchises with late-night/midnight anime franchises. When people list the highest movie gross for franchises, they typically separate the mainstream from late-night, since it is a fairer comparison.

Here is the list of best anime franchise movie gross excluding mainstream movies:
1位:20.8億 劇場版 魔法少女まどか☆マギカ 新編 -叛逆の物語-
2位:19.0億 映画 けいおん!
3位:16.5億 劇場版ラブライブ!←今ココ
4位:10.3億 劇場版 あの日見た花の名前を僕たちはまだ知らない
5位:8,5億 劇場版 PSYCHO-PASS サイコパス。
6位:8.5億 涼宮ハルヒの消失
7位:7.7億 THE IDOLM@STER MOVIE 輝きの向こう側へ
8位:7.4億 劇場版 TIGER&BUNNY -The Rising-
9位:7.0億 劇場版 マクロスF 恋離飛翼
10位:6.5億 劇場版 マクロスF 虚空歌姫

Definitely LL will beat Madoka 3 in the long run, as the upcoming weekend will bring a nice boost due to featuring the the highly sought out film strip as a visitor benefit. The question is by how much? As we saw with K-ON! and Madoka 3, these film strips were incredibly popular, so I don't see this being any different for LL. It only needs > 425,002,040 yen to surpass Madoka 3, and it has the added advantage of being able to continue gaining ticket sales until all cinema stop showing it in time for the 2015 yearly list. Madoka had less of an advantage, being released in October.

Of course LL will not beat those mainstream titles above Madoka. No one is expecting it to anyway, as they know it is tough to compete against mainstream titles.
Nozomi Tojo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:30 am Reply with quote
Good for LL

Here is a cool wallpaper i made of my favorite characters in the show Very Happy

spoiler[http://s14.postimg.org/swfhzuq9d/Love_Live_Wallpaper.jpg]

Nozomi Is Best Smile
bigivel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:01 am Reply with quote
Ejc wrote:

All the movies you listed are considered mainstream, except Madoka and K-ON!. So it doesn't really make much sense to compare mainstream franchises with late-night/midnight anime franchises. When people list the highest movie gross for franchises, they typically separate the mainstream from late-night, since it is a fairer comparison.

Here is the list of best anime franchise movie gross excluding mainstream movies:
1位:20.8億 劇場版 魔法少女まどか☆マギカ 新編 -叛逆の物語-
2位:19.0億 映画 けいおん!
3位:16.5億 劇場版ラブライブ!←今ココ
4位:10.3億 劇場版 あの日見た花の名前を僕たちはまだ知らない
5位:8,5億 劇場版 PSYCHO-PASS サイコパス。
6位:8.5億 涼宮ハルヒの消失
7位:7.7億 THE IDOLM@STER MOVIE 輝きの向こう側へ
8位:7.4億 劇場版 TIGER&BUNNY -The Rising-
9位:7.0億 劇場版 マクロスF 恋離飛翼
10位:6.5億 劇場版 マクロスF 虚空歌姫

Definitely LL will beat Madoka 3 in the long run, as the upcoming weekend will bring a nice boost due to featuring the the highly sought out film strip as a visitor benefit. The question is by how much? As we saw with K-ON! and Madoka 3, these film strips were incredibly popular, so I don't see this being any different for LL. It only needs > 425,002,040 yen to surpass Madoka 3, and it has the added advantage of being able to continue gaining ticket sales until all cinema stop showing it in time for the 2015 yearly list. Madoka had less of an advantage, being released in October.

Of course LL will not beat those mainstream titles above Madoka. No one is expecting it to anyway, as they know it is tough to compete against mainstream titles.

Evangelion isn't mainstream!

Also I know about that, but I was responded to someone that compared it with Ghibli. Ghibli does the most mainstream anime movies ever!
So the numbers aren't amazing when you consider non-Ghibli, but when you consider non mainstream.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:28 am Reply with quote
1.65 billion is a pretty huge number for a show that primarily airs during the late night.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:38 am Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:

But it is.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:46 am Reply with quote
Among the anime series that aren't 100+ episodes, Evangelion is arguably the largest mainstream anime.
bigivel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:21 am Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:
bigivel wrote:

But it is.

Not in terms of having a huge following, if that was the case a great box office would automatically mean mainstream. Here mainstream has more to do with the audience targeted.

While Evangelion was popular airing at 18:00 p.m, it only got the tremendous popularity that we see now after re-airing at night. With that it was one of the drivers for this current nighttime system.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:33 am Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:
Rederoin wrote:
bigivel wrote:

But it is.

Not in terms of having a huge following, if that was the case a great box office would automatically mean mainstream. Here mainstream has more to do with the audience targeted.

While Evangelion was popular airing at 18:00 p.m, it only got the tremendous popularity that we see now after re-airing at night. With that it was one of the drivers for this current nightt
ime system.

If you look at how much BDs the orginal tv series sold, what the BDs movie sell and what it gets at the box office, its clear enough to see its mainstream. Its far above any late night tv anime.
Not to mention Japanese people are way more familiar with NGE than any late nigth tv show.
bigivel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:

If you look at how much BDs the orginal tv series sold, what the BDs movie sell and what it gets at the box office, its clear enough to see its mainstream. Its far above any late night tv anime.
Not to mention Japanese people are way more familiar with NGE than any late nigth tv show.

As I said, its not about being popular or not. NGE is right now the most popular Otaku centered franchise, and its popularity is one of the big reasons why nighttime slots are so overpopulated right now.
As an example here you have Precure, that is mainstream, but the Box Office sales are less than Love Live!

If we talk of mainstream by the fanbase/sales size, than Love Live not being part of the mainstream shouldn't even have appeared in the conversation(something Ejc started in a response to me), because I was only talking of non-Ghibli series selling better than Love Live.
Telling that Love Live isn't mainstream nor the titles with similar sales, while the other ones with bigger sales are, is the same as saying that there are titles non-ghibli that sell a lot more than Love live.
But that is the exact thing I was saying! Doesn't make sense to be against what I was saying by saying the exact same thing.

Also if you call Evangelion by how much it sold in original TV series, Box Office you should also include Love Live! in the mainstream.

TV series -> 65,796 copies sold in average is a lot. More than even Dragon Ball GT.
Box Office -> 1.65 Billion Yen for now. More than Precure right now, and almost certainly bigger than Shin-Chan in the end.

BDs for the movie will certainly be big as well. How big we have to wait and see, but certainly big.
Kutsu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:35 pm Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:
wiitard119 wrote:

Nico is best girl.

Best franchise sales:

Your list needs updating :
Yôkai Watch : ¥7.73 billion
DC : ¥4.43 billion
DB : ¥3.67 billion
Shin-chan : ¥2.24 billion
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2