• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Udon Entertainment Licenses Sugar Sugar Rune Manga

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aquamine-Amarine

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:30 pm Reply with quote
What, Kodansha USA doesn't want it? Or are they being picky and greedy, only wanting to license cash cows and milk Fairy Tail and Shingeki no Kyojin for all they're worth? I found it strange how Yen Press managed to grab both Hatsukoi Monster and Junketsu + Kareshi despite both of them being Kodansha titles... and now this.

Well hopefully Udon has better quality releases, since I'm not very happy with Kodansha USA's quality.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Huh, first Rose of Versailles and now this? Is Udon really trying to break back into manga or something? I mean, they mostly do art books and tons and tons of Street Fighter stuff. They had a few manga here and there, like Silent Mobius, but they only ever printed 4 volumes of it (I really wish they'd go back and do more, then I could buy it all) and random first volumes of manhwa and stuff. I just really hope they see these through to completion, unlike in the past (helps that they got shorter series, with doing 2-in-1s for RoV, that's only 5 volumes)
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Huh, I may check this series out.

Though, I am tempted in going out to find the Del Rey releases...I've been grabbing some OOP manga of late (mostly come TokyoPop stuff).

Just hope that they don't end up dropping any of the series they've now announced. They've done it in the past...which is why the only Udon manga I own is Mega Man ZX. Laughing
SEGAtheGENESIS234

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
What, Kodansha USA doesn't want it? Or are they being picky and greedy, only wanting to license cash cows and milk Fairy Tail and Shingeki no Kyojin for all they're worth? I found it strange how Yen Press managed to grab both Hatsukoi Monster and Junketsu + Kareshi despite both of them being Kodansha titles... and now this.

Well hopefully Udon has better quality releases, since I'm not very happy with Kodansha USA's quality.

Isn't Viz Media the same way?

Also, that Shovel Knight artbook is an instant day one buy for me.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
What, Kodansha USA doesn't want it? Or are they being picky and greedy, only wanting to license cash cows and milk Fairy Tail and Shingeki no Kyojin for all they're worth?

Kodanasha USA, the company that's putting out Let's Dance a Waltz, Your Lie in April, and A Silent Voice? Yes, clearly they are a company that only goes after cash cows.

Unlike Viz with Shueisha and Shogakukan, Kodansha USA doesn't have an exclusivity deal with their parent company, so other companies can scoop them.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:47 pm Reply with quote
I own the complete Del Rey version of the series and it really is delightful. I'm happy that it will have the chance to earn even more fans.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:21 am Reply with quote
Hmm...I think that I'll just get Udon's release after all. Laughing
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:30 am Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
What, Kodansha USA doesn't want it? Or are they being picky and greedy, only wanting to license cash cows and milk Fairy Tail and Shingeki no Kyojin for all they're worth?

Kodansha USA just licensed Princess Jellyfish, an ongoing long running josei title, so to accuse them of only going after cash cows doesn't seem entirely fair. In this case I think they didn't want it because it is a license rescue that has already been released in its entirety. If they wanted it they would have grabbed it when they were starting up.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:04 am Reply with quote
Aqua:
Quote:
What, Kodansha USA doesn't want it?

Kodansha USA doesn't seem to know what the hell it wants, period. They're letting competitors get the manga everyone keeps ask Kodansha to publish. But hey, at least this gives me hope of Cromartie High getting a license rescue eventually.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Haha, ironic. I just completed my set of the Del set. I'm actually glad for the fans of this series to be able to have a set that isn't drastically over-priced by sellers.

I mean I sold my duplicates for $5 a piece. I ain't mad; they're books. Others wanted $80 for a volume.. which is just crazy.

Sooo happy more people can enjoy this; I love it.

Now! Can we get the anime?
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Though, I am tempted in going out to find the Del Rey releases...I've been grabbing some OOP manga of late (mostly come TokyoPop stuff).

You may want to wait before until the sellers get a brain and quit selling the volumes for $80 a piece for certain ones.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Hmm...I think that I'll just get Udon's release after all. Laughing
Volume 5 isn't that bad, it's just Volume 8 that's selling well above MSRP.

Though I do still need to get books 1 and 2...
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Haha, I'm not a very patient person. And, while I'm sure that prices for the DelRey volumes will be coming down, I've yet to see someone selling the whole series in a set. If something pops up, at a price I'm willing to pay, I may jump in.

If not, I will have to just put up with Udon's release schedule...whatever that may be!
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:00 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Haha, I'm not a very patient person. And, while I'm sure that prices for the DelRey volumes will be coming down, I've yet to see someone selling the whole series in a set. If something pops up, at a price I'm willing to pay, I may jump in.

If not, I will have to just put up with Udon's release schedule...whatever that may be!

Someone did have a set up. I know I bought it. Smile That's how I ended up with duplicates which I sold. I paid $57; sold the dupes for $15. That's why I think $80 for one volume is stupid.

It was the Mixx Sailor Moon comics all over again. Some people wanted the set but weren't going to pay the stupid price. $20 for a new OOP volume I can see but not $80...
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:47 am Reply with quote
Oh this is nice news. I've been thinking about tracking the Del Rey release down for a while.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2