• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Aldnoah.Zero Blu-Ray

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:10 am Reply with quote
Oh boy, this show

The first six episodes are fine and I agree with the assessment

The issue is that the show just starts going downhill after that since Urobuchi left after the first three episodes.

It starts with the ending of the first season and goes down hill from there
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:40 am Reply with quote
Izanagi009 wrote:
The issue is that the show just starts going downhill after that since Urobuchi left after the first three episodes.

Going downhill? Are you kidding me? Episode three was admittedly fairly good, but episodes one and two were crap. Oh, and episodes four-through-twelve were also awful. I don't know about the second season since I refused to watch it. But at any rate, two of the three episodes that Urobuchi wrote himself were very very poor. I've heard plenty of fans say that the show started off good but then got bad, but that's just not true. The issues that the show suffered from were apparent right from the beginning. Let's go through them, shall we?

There was the stupid premise that makes no sense, clunky exposition, overwrought music, cartoonish villains, dumb plot twists, and the biggest one of all, the "too cool for emotions" robotic male lead. Music aside, the quality of the show was Urobuchi's fault. He didn't just write the first trio of episodes but also did the critical scenario planning. In other words he came up with the premise, the setting, the characters, and he outlined how the story would progress and resolve itself. Those despised plot twists in later episodes? That was his hand guiding the director.

Urobuchi has written so many sub-par or outright bad works that I have to wonder if Fate/Zero and PMMM aren't the exceptions rather than the rule. I've heard some good things about Expelled from Paradise but I'll be watching that with no small trepidation.

Anyway, the best thing in Aldnoah.Zero was surely Inaho's attractive sister:

Oh be still my beating heart . . . . . .
pajmo9

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:27 am Reply with quote
I just finished watching this show yesterday. I thought the first season was tolerable but the second season was absurd.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:36 am Reply with quote
I actually think episode 2 and 3 were pretty damn good episode (1 was just bad, for the reason stated in the review, lack of subtlety in message and also ham fisted exposition). But there was promise, I really like the idea that this was some kind of reverse mech show where the main characters were using the underpowered mech fighting against the "gundam".

Sadly the show wasn't really interested in that aspect, instead it just rely on shock moment that stop being shocking quickly and really baffling decision by character. The first half is better than the second half (pretty sure the infamous meeting between the main character is in the second half), but people should stay away nonetheless.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:39 pm Reply with quote
I really liked season 1. I didn't mind Inaho's lack of emotion. In fact, I thought it was an interesting choice. It reminded me of Gundam Wing where the scientists said feelings and emotion are unnecessary for a weapon (referring to the MC), and Inaho is really the earth's weapon where as aldnoah drives are Mars' weapons. Watching Inaho find flaws in seemingly overpowered technology was fun. Thats also why I like Heavy Object. I thought the sound track was amazing, but it looks not everyone is a Sawano fan.

I didn't dislike season 2 at the time, but that spoiler[eye] pretty much killed the best aspect of the fights.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:10 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

There was the stupid premise that makes no sense, clunky exposition, overwrought music, cartoonish villains, dumb plot twists, and the biggest one of all, the "too cool for emotions" robotic male lead.

I couldn't watch anymore after episode 5 when I believed Inaho felt or thought anything more than "Oops" when he failed to grab his friend's hand.

Horrified, aghast, shocked, disturbed, nope. If he doesn't care then why should I bother? In fact, I laughed. *Tsk* "Butterfingers."

Speaking of his sister, wasn't she the one who combined the older sister, soldier and teacher in one convenient package? They couldn't separate them somehow so the scenario could make some sort of sense in that Terrans are either focusing on training new soldiers or putting all their eggs in the "war" basket.... not to mention that he wasn't emotionally attached to anything, let alone his sister so it didn't really matter who she was to him, sensei, sempai or neesan. He's going to save because that's what main characters do.

Also, Princess Asylum. Add all the letters you want, that is her name... and her role. Convenient again. Stupid but there it is. And whenever I think of cheap knockoffs, I always think "Asylum". Not the best of English connotations there; Maybe they should have gone with Princess Sanctuuarie.

And cataphracts, I'm sorry, Kata-however they spell it... I really don't like this series. I know there's only so much you can do with the played out mech series... ok, Cross Ange was different but that was Sunrise... but filing off the serial numbers and replacing them with new ones is not the best course of action without a lead character or cast to prop everything up. Especially when the names you choose and characters you create only serve to point out how much you don't care.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:12 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
It reminded me of Gundam Wing where the scientists said feelings and emotion are unnecessary for a weapon (referring to the MC), and Inaho is really the earth's weapon where as aldnoah drives are Mars' weapons.

I almost made that comparison in the review - I was also strongly reminded of Gundam Wing, but reactions to that show tend to be strong (in my experience), so I decided not to gum up the works. I'm glad it's not just me seeing the similarities, though.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
is this 6-episode single release worth the investment?

No. No 6 episode release is ever worth this kinda price.

Quote:
Dub gives lead some much-needed hints of emotion,

Wtf? That should be a NEGATIVE. This is one thing I really hate about dubs. You do NOT change the story, or the characters. This is changing the character. He's supposed to be a nearly emotionless Spock-like character that runs on logic. That's how he wins. I heard that Chuunibyou dub changed "middle school" to "elementary school". I understand changing things for cultural reasons, but changing a character's emotional state or an entire phase of life is too much. As for the show itself , the fights and music (and Inko) are the only good things about it. Mech design was cool/mostly unique too. Season 2 was just dumb.
Divineking

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

Quote:
Dub gives lead some much-needed hints of emotion,

Wtf? That should be a NEGATIVE. This is one thing I really hate about dubs. You do NOT change the story, or the characters. This is changing the character. He's supposed to be a nearly emotionless Spock-like character that runs on logic.

You just answered why that's not really an issue. Nearly emotionless isn't the same as completely emotionless so it's hardly a detriment if he emotes a bit more.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
I almost made that comparison in the review - I was also strongly reminded of Gundam Wing, but reactions to that show tend to be strong (in my experience), so I decided not to gum up the works. I'm glad it's not just me seeing the similarities, though.

That makes sense, but speaking of strong reactions to Wing, it makes even less sense to me why most western comments tend to hate on Inaho. Heero seems to be pretty well liked despite him being equally emotionless. Also, more emotional mech MCs tend to get hated on here for showing those emotions. It seems to me like Inaho being on the emotionless side would have been a selling point.

Emotions aside, a lot of S2 characters seemed similar to Wing. spoiler[In addition to Inaho mirroring Heero, Slaine's actions (not so much personality) are similar to Zechs in that he betrayed his organization, became the head of a new one, and planned to fix things by killing everyone on earth. Seylum is similar to Relina in that despite the Earth/Oz killing their parents, they chose pacifism, they had to fight their way out of being puppet leaders, they're close to both main characters, despite wanting to stop Zechs/Slaine they don't want to fight, they both in the end become the leaders of Mars (although I'm not sure Relina actually is more than a figurehead there). Inaho and Slaine essentially both end up with the zero system and have to duke it out. Then there is that part at the end when Inaho/Heero say they decided to spare Slaine/Zechs because Seylum/Relina would be sad.] I could probably put more things in there, but I think that is enough to make my point.

Anyway, I just find it odd that pretty much everyone agrees (even me and I liked this series overall) that the series gets worse as it goes on, but it also gets more like Wing the more it goes on which the west in general is really fond of.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:44 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:

That makes sense, but speaking of strong reactions to Wing, it makes even less sense to me why most western comments tend to hate on Inaho. Heero seems to be pretty well liked despite him being equally emotionless. Also, more emotional mech MCs tend to get hated on here for showing those emotions. It seems to me like Inaho being on the emotionless side would have been a selling point.

Well Heero trained all his life to be an emotionless pilot, Inaho was a normal high school student. Also I wouldn't say the problem with traditional mech teenager pilot is "emotion", its more them being whining baby.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:03 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Well Heero trained all his life to be an emotionless pilot, Inaho was a normal high school student. Also I wouldn't say the problem with traditional mech teenager pilot is "emotion", its more them being whining baby.

Oh, cool, where you live your highschools offer classes on driving tanks and shooting guns.

Oh, they don't? I guess that counts as being trained from a young age and makes him very much not a normal high school student.

That last statement you made was my point exactly. When characters show the emotions you would expect of a teenager forced to fight in a situation like this or other mech series, the response (at least in the west) is generally to treat them like a whining baby. On the other hand, the emotionless badass type tend to get a favorable reaction.
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:31 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

He didn't just write the first trio of episodes but also did the critical scenario planning. In other words he came up with the premise, the setting, the characters, and he outlined how the story would progress and resolve itself. Those despised plot twists in later episodes? That was his hand guiding the director.

Nah. It's been outright stated that the story went a completely different direction than Urobuchi's outlined scenario. Season one was intended to end in an entirely different manner (the unpopular twists not being part of it), and being that the end of season one plays such a MASSIVE role in season two, that changed a lot as well.

So the show going off the rails wasn't really his doing in this situation.
gedata

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:28 pm Reply with quote
And it only gets worse from here.....
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:35 pm Reply with quote
kazenoyume wrote:
Nah. It's been outright stated that the story went a completely different direction than Urobuchi's outlined scenario.

Really? Huh, that's a surprise.

Could you please link to an interview that explains this in more detail? I've always been curious as to what was going on behind the scenes on this show.

Princess_Irene wrote:
I almost made that comparison in the review - I was also strongly reminded of Gundam Wing...

Why on Earth would you think this? Beyond them being teenage males there's no psychological comparison at all between Heero and Inaho. Under his stoic mask Heero actually had emotions and a personality, whereas Inaho was so emotionless it was downright creepy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3