• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Lovely Complex

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:34 pm Reply with quote
I know I just made a thread, but I want to have a discussion about another manga title, and believe me, this ones better than Eiken.

This is the story about spoiler[Risa, a girl who is 172 centimeters tall, and Atsushi, a boy who is 156 cm tall. When they enter high school, they are paired together as sort of a comedy team, because when they're seen together, they are often in an argument of some sort, but not to the extent of fighting. They do share the same interests, however. Such as having the same favorite music artist and both loving video games. Sometimes they're mistaken as an actual couple, which both deny. All their closest friends have become couples though, and through some futile attempts, they can't seem to find any love interests for themselves either. As time goes on, Risa realizes she may be developing feelings for Atsushi, and after a point, she realizes that she does like him. ]
spoiler[So then we are pitted into the story thereafter of Risa trying to win the affections of Atsushi through many ways and the help of her friends. Atsushi finds out soon enough but can't seem to bring himself to see Risa as a girlfriend. Risa finds out that Atsushi before he got into high school did have a girlfriend who was even shorter than him, and thinks that she has no way of beating her after finding out that she broke up with her current boyfriend. Risa and Atsushi go out to an arcade and see Atsushi's old GF, and Risa tries to run away thinking that Atsushi will get back together with his old girlfriend, but Atsushi reintroduces Risa as "my girlfriend". So Risa has finally won the heart of Atsushi, and the long struggle to become a couple is over. Or is it?]
spoiler[Though they've become a couple, there are now obstacles that will try and make their way into their relationship.] I have read up to volume 8, and this is an excellent series of slice of life. I definetly think that anybody should try giving this one a try, it sure can give Fruits Basket a run for its money.
FeralKat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:34 am Reply with quote
Finally! A Lovely Complex fan! It's one of the few manga series that forces me to read in Japanese (I'm not fluent, so I only get part of the plot.) Still, the artwork is so cute! I think it's coming out in English soon through Viz, though I'm not sure. Very Happy
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:46 am Reply with quote
When I first caught word of this manga and the storyline to it, I had to try and find for myself to see if it was as good as it sounds. My time, effort and money were definetly well spent on trying to find it, the comedy and just the story itself proves how great it is and the potential that it has yet to come.
zliplus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
it sure can give Fruits Basket a run for its money.

How can you even compare Lovely Complex with Fruits Basket? I mean, Lovely Complex is mostly comedy, while Fruits Basket is almost pure drama. I agree that Lovely Complex is a nice series and great for some light reading, but it has a completely different effect than Fruits Basket.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:01 pm Reply with quote
zliplus wrote:
How can you even compare Lovely Complex with Fruits Basket? I mean, Lovely Complex is mostly comedy, while Fruits Basket is almost pure drama. I agree that Lovely Complex is a nice series and great for some light reading, but it has a completely different effect than Fruits Basket.

While it does get dramatic at the end, it still has the comedy elements in it while still having to deal with the drama. And from your saying this, I will assume that you have failed to see the comedy elements that were implemented into the beginning of the series itself, which is mainly what gave it the push to where it now stands amongst fans. Lovely Complex is comedy, but like Fruits Basket, it does have it's dramatic moments. With that I maintain my stand that these two series can be compared.
zliplus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:25 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
While it does get dramatic at the end, it still has the comedy elements in it while still having to deal with the drama. And from your saying this, I will assume that you have failed to see the comedy elements that were implemented into the beginning of the series itself, which is mainly what gave it the push to where it now stands amongst fans. Lovely Complex is comedy, but like Fruits Basket, it does have it's dramatic moments. With that I maintain my stand that these two series can be compared.

It's true that I haven't read the early volumes of Fruits Basket for a while now, and perhaps I have forgotten or underestimated any comedy that may be there. I'll reread it and get back to you.
chili-san

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Truly one of the best series ever. I don't think I've read that far, though- I only read the scanlations, and I'm not as up to date as I'd like.

I know for sure it's been licensed by Viz under the Shoujo Beat label (forgive me, but I can't spell it they way they do) and it's going to be serialized in the Shoujo Beat magazine, I believe.
For one, it says so on this site when you look up Lovely Complex and there's been /no/ release date set for the first volume, unlike all the other series Viz has licensed.

Now if only Good Morning Call or Parfait Tic! would be licensed.
SnowStar_7*

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:17 pm Reply with quote
chili-san wrote:

I know for sure it's been licensed by Viz under the Shoujo Beat label (forgive me, but I can't spell it they way they do) and it's going to be serialized in the Shoujo Beat magazine, I believe.
For one, it says so on this site when you look up Lovely Complex and there's been /no/ release date set for the first volume, unlike all the other series Viz has licensed.

Link? I searched for it and looked it up under manga and cannot find it.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:29 am Reply with quote
Comparing it to Fruits Basket is a bit of a stretch, though I could understand why you would do it. In any case, I think Lovely Complex is a better manga in terms of writing and art. By no means an instant classic, but despite having a very predictable story frame (the old "highschool romantidamedy with a gimmick") it got sharp writing and the kind of quirky energy I expect when reading a title like this. The characters are interesting enough and actually fit as a couple and the humor rarely falls flat. Really nice art as well (particuarly the character designs). All in all a nice, solid addition to the Shojo Beat lineup; looking forward to buying it.
zliplus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:29 pm Reply with quote
SnowStar_7* wrote:

I'm not sure why you couldn't find it - it's definitely there in the encyclopedia. Here's the link though: manga#5447
SnowStar_7*

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:26 am Reply with quote
zliplus wrote:
SnowStar_7* wrote:

I'm not sure why you couldn't find it - it's definitely there in the encyclopedia. Here's the link though: manga#5447

Ah, I just reread what she said. I thought she meant that it was listed on the Viz site not this one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1