• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nurse Witch Komugi Gets TV Anime With New Cast, Characters

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:17 am Reply with quote
Damn, no Halko Momoi? Did she retire, I haven't heard anything about her in a long time. I love her voice.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:23 am Reply with quote
Not sure if the article was edited after your post, but Momoi was given a new role rather than reprising Komugi.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:24 am Reply with quote
Oh, I didn't see that part.
But, uhm... why? It seems a little weird to me.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:33 am Reply with quote
Same reason they're redesigning the characters. To appeal more to the current generation otaku crowd. Also since Komugi's new CV is an idol, that means that she probably already has a group of a fans that will be interested in this.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:34 am Reply with quote
I never expected that Nurse Witch Komugi would have its own anime show after all these years. Surprised I wonder how well they'll fare there.

That said, I haven't watch the OVA of NWK yet. Really ought to get around to doing that sometime around early November.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:40 am Reply with quote
"Halko Momoi as Koharu Yoshida (not pictured)"
If the article was edited, it would say so at the bottom.

--edit--

Huh. Did I really take that long replying?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
noobster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:09 am Reply with quote
>Saw the thumbnail.
>"That smile tho. Akio Watanabe Aww Yeah!!"
>Read the article.
>Saw Akio Watanabe's name indeed.
>AwwYiss.jpg
malvarez1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:40 am Reply with quote
Seriously? Couldn't they just remake SoulTaker, which is very underrated? NWK is nothing special.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:43 am Reply with quote
>no Momoi as Komugi

What a drag. Her distinctive cutesy cartoon voice was the perfect accompaniment to Komugi's actually quite vicious character.

And now I'm worried that they'll ditch that and make it round and soft and bland. I want more of Komugi injecting strange drugs and swearing.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:57 am Reply with quote
I'm really hoping it isn't like that Sasami Magical Classroom crap. Where they took a padory and made it into a generic boring mahou shojo anime.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:00 am Reply with quote
noobster wrote:
>Saw Akio Watanabe's name indeed.

The article is not clear on his involvement, just that he did the designs for the original series. The Animate article does have him credited with "キャラクター原案", which could mean that these new characters are merely based on his, but in most anime it means he did base designs which the animation character designer then refined (given that he is an animator himself that would normally not be required, but has happened before).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:22 am Reply with quote
It just doesn't look how it did, and non professional seiyuu means this is indeed more of an advertisment for the idol instead of a series meant to shine from its own merit.
Anyways, today's industry leaves no place for a series like the old Komugi was.
trilaan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:40 am Reply with quote
So it's Nurse Witch Komugi In Name Only. Yeah, I think I'll just re-watch The Soul Taker.
redcar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:26 am Reply with quote
While I appreciate the effort, I'm not really sure that Komugi can exist independently of SoulTaker. The whole reason most of the comedy worked was because it had a super-serious base show to make fun of, and without that I feel like it would just be a collection of self-referential otaku in-jokes. I mean, maybe that's good enough? I'm also skeptical about not having Halko Momoi as the lead, even if she plays another part. Still, I'm curious enough to check it out.

I do wonder how this came about exactly, though. Was the show's memetic status on 2channel strong enough for another iteration to will itself into being? Or has someone just been sitting on the idea of a remake for a decade? Who knows...
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:39 am Reply with quote
Sunny milk wrote:
It just doesn't look how it did, and non professional seiyuu means this is indeed more of an advertisment for the idol instead of a series meant to shine from its own merit.
Anyways, today's industry leaves no place for a series like the old Komugi was.

To be fair, Halko Momoi was also an idol first before she became a professional voice actress, and the original Komugi was her first anime voice-acting role ever.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3