• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Muv-Luv: Schwarzesmarken (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:40 pm Reply with quote

Muv-Luv: Schwarzesmarken (TV)

Genres: Mecha, Military
Themes:

Plot Summary: The story follows the East German Army's 666th TSF Squadron in its battles and political conflicts during the BETA's westward push in 1983.

The East German Army 666th TSF Squadron "Schwarzesmarken" (Black Marks) are a special-forces unit tasked with assaulting BETA forces through unconventional tactics; specifically, they target Lux and Magnus Lux to deny the BETA the advantage of ranged firepower. Their orders are given the topmost priority, such that it is common practice for the 666th to ignore allied distress calls that will result in deviation from their original mission, even if only for a short moment.
----------------------------------

Pretty decent cast choices imo so far. I was surprised this was getting a TV anime adaptation and it looks like animation production ixtl×LIDENFILM will be in charge this time. I’ve been a fan of mecha shows with military themes so this got me interested about the upcoming series.

Last edited by Stark700 on Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Might want to add Muv Luv to the title of the thread to enforce the connection.

Humanity had a hard enough time fighting the BETA with advanced TSFs so I can't imagine things going too well for these earlier pilots.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Not bad but I felt like being dropped in the middle of the story this episode. Right from start, there's action, blood, mecha, BETA, etc. The narrative is short but captured the point of the premise. I expect more political stuff to develop with the amount of transition already.

As for the characters...they introduced quite a bunch of them, more than I had expected. Uncensored blood is a nice way to formulate the violence of this show. I think this has potential, might even be 2 cour too?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
might even be 2 cour too?

I would think it'll be the same as Total Eclipse.

People often complained about the Japanese nationalism is Total Eclipse but this show averts that by making everyone German. We have East vs West Germany instead, an area of history I'll admit I'm totally ignorant to. So some of the underlying meaning in those conversations were lost on me.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:04 pm Reply with quote
This one looks bloody and dark.
Don't forget the mecha & boobs.
So it's some kind of a Muv-Luv spin off.
Killing is what they do...
Skipping it.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Its Muv Luv, for those that don't know already it is an Alien invasion in a Cold War era world where instead of fighter jets we have flying mechs.

I was sold on this even before the first episode.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
We have East vs West Germany instead, an area of history I'll admit I'm totally ignorant to. So some of the underlying meaning in those conversations were lost on me.

All I remember is that life in East Germany was bad and that's why people often wanted to escape to West Germany. That's what I think was happening in that flashback, the stick-up-his-arse main dude was trying to escape together with his... sister(?). Hopefully we're not expected to be familiar with Cold War history.
HdE

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:55 pm Reply with quote
This could be intersting. I really did NOT care for Total Eclipse, but the underlying ideas in that show held a lot of promise. Here's hoping this show can capitalise on them a bit better.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Hopefully we're not expected to be familiar with Cold War history.

The only thing the audience probably needs to know is that humans can be overly cruel and that even invading hoards of aliens won't stop it.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:35 am Reply with quote
Looks like us older members will probably get a little more out of this story than some of the show's younger fans with the Cold War setting. The Cold War was still going on when I was growing up during the 70s and 80s.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:51 am Reply with quote
They are in Muv-Luv world, these people are screwed, of which we know there will be no chance they will stop the enemy. Add in an evil German secret police (not saying German make them evil, all the characters seem to be German in the first place), and this is going to be dark.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:26 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
. Add in an evil German secret police (not saying German make them evil, all the characters seem to be German in the first place), and this is going to be dark.

That's probably pretty accurate, as the real-life Stasi weren't exactly nice people.
Kamagor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:42 pm Reply with quote
For me, not having known the previous stuff, I went into this mostly on the premise of being an 80's, cold war setup, and mecha action, but I was incredibly disappointed. The setup just had nothing to it. It didn't do anything with the characters to make anyone likable and in fact made me dislike a few. I get the basic plot of fighting off aliens, but also with the East vs West thing still happening, it adds another layer, but it did nothing with the story to make it interesting. Pretty easily abandoning this one.
Mr. Nescio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:14 pm Reply with quote
I skimmed through a thread at 4chan's /m/ to see the impressions of people, who have read the Schwarzesmarken light novels (or maybe even the visual novel). It seemed that people weren't happy with the episode, as things like moments of characterization were skipped. There were claims that the anime would get only one cour, which would likely result in a hasty adaptation.

Because of the success of the Muv-Luv Kickstarter I have hope that the Schwarzesmarken visual novel will be released in English relatively soon (in the time scale of visual novels), so I have to think about if I want to watch the anime or wait.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I normally don't go for stuff like this...but it kept my attention.

Katia's so cute; her hair reminds me of Misuzu's hair (she even has the white ribbon!!). Anime hyper She seems naive but she's still pretty young. And she has spunk.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10