• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Quote Guessing Game, Round 14

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:23 am Reply with quote
Past results:
Round 1<
Round 2<
Round 3<
Round 4<
Round 5<
Round 6<
Round 7<
Round 8<
Round 9<
Round 10<
Round 11<
Round 12<
Round 13<
__
RULES - Quotes:

1. Only one person at a time may have an active quote. To be able to post a quote, one must either have guessed the previous quote correctly or else be taking advantage of a passed turn or expired time limit (see below).

2. Posted quotes must be very distinctive, and must clearly come from one particular title. (Do avoid ones that are major spoilers, however.) Quotes generic enough that they could come from any of a number of titles and/or which consist of common, everyday language should be avoided. Both single-line and multiple-line dialogue exchanges are acceptable, provided that they meet these conditions.

Bad Example: "If you don't come back, I will never forgive you."

Good Example: "Make a pilgrimage for the past with me."

Good Multi-line Example:
Character A: "What does the scouter say about his power level?!"
Character B: "It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAND!"

3. As shown above, the entire quote must be bolded for a single line quote and the key line to be identified must be bolded in a dialogue exchange quote. Revealing character, power, or location names within a quote can be replaced with "[Character B]" or "[spoiler power name]" or something like that, as necessary.
3a. Quotes including profanity should be avoided. If profanity is unavoidably present then it must be censored. Quotes not following this rule may be removed and disallowed. (And lest anyone tries to be completely anal about this, we're talking about the big-ticket four-letter words, "bitch," and real-world racial epithets.)

4. Only quotes from anime titles (trailers and promo videos don't count) that have been in circulation for at least a week, and are available in official or fansubbed English translation, may be used.
4a. In the case of dub quotes from episodes streaming dubbed on delay, the "one week" rule applies to when the dub becomes available, not when the episode becomes available.
4b. Quotes may not be used from a title which was the source of one of the immediately previous four quotes.
4c. Specifying whether the quote is from fansubbed, subbed, or dubbed material is required. Fansub quotes should only be used in cases where official subs do not exist.

5. If the quote used is one that is repeated verbatim by more than one character in the same title then any of the speakers of the quote must be accepted as correct. (Optionally in this case, the quote poster may specify "first speaker" or "general context in which the quote is used" up front.)

6. Quotes remain active until they are guessed correctly, until 10 incorrect guesses have been attempted, or for 48 hours, whichever comes first. In the latter two cases an open turn takes effect and anyone else may post a new quote.
_
Rules - Hints

7. Up to four hints may, at the quote poster's option, be provided. They should be staggered over the course of the 48 hours, with 8-10 hour intervals being recommended. (And while hints are not explicitly required, not providing them at all for a quote which is clearly difficult is considered unsportsmanlike.)

8. Hints must follow the format shown below. Their content should be a substantive clue to the source of the quote and/or the speaker(s) and thus should directly concern either the speaker(s), the source material, or the context of the scene. Hints which just state something that's obvious from the quote aren't proper hints. Also, saying that the source title is based on a visual novel or game or something of that nature is acceptable, but making comparisons between the anime and its alternate form isn't. (For instance, "Character A's behavior is very different in the anime than it is in the source manga" is a bad hint.)

Example: Hint #1: spoiler[This is a proper way to give a hint.]

Rules - Answers

9. Answers must be spoiler-tagged or they do not count as answers.

10. Answers must specify the speaker of the bolded quote, the source material, and the context of the scene. This could be a description of the scene, identification of who the speaker is speaking to or about, what episode it happens in, or other possibilities. The quote poster may be as loose or picky about the specifics as he/she wants; for instance, a quote poster may, at his/her option, accept a quote which gets some details wrong but is basically right. The quote poster may also allow a guesser who gives a partial answer to clarify before rejecting the answer, but that is also at the poster's discretion. However only a short amount of time (8 hours) should be allowed for this.

Example: spoiler[Character A is Kirika and Character B is Mireille, from the scene in Noir at the end of episode 1 where they agree to work together as Noir.]

11. Each guesser gets only one official guess per quote, so make it count!

12. Once a guess has been confirmed as correct, the guesser may either pass his/her turn or post a new quote. Going more than 24 hours without posting a new quote is tantamount to forfeiting one's turn, in which case an open turn is declared.

Lastly - and this is general advice rather than a rule - this game is not meant to be a test of Google-fu. Merely plugging the quote into a search engine, and basing an answer on that, is considered unsportsmanlike behavior. If you're obviously doing this on a regular basis then you may be asked not to participate anymore.

Minigames

Anyone may post a minigame picture while waiting for a winning guesser to post a new quote, but only one may be in play at any time. Here's how it works: the poster grabs a screenshot from an anime and the players must guess what is being said in the image. Though not required for a point, do also include the name of the speaker and what anime it is. These do count for points but do not have to be guessed, so be sure to catch them before they zip away!

Scoring
The scoring at the end of 100 pages will be one point per correct guess for a main game or minigame quote in official play.

This game was created to be a more useful and interactive kind of quote dump and also to allow any random person an opportunity at playing, as the pic game is, by nature, going to be ruled by the most hardcore otaku. You could try to be all hardcore here...but no one will think your quote is memorable or cool. Wink

That being said, I hope that the difficulty will spike and dip as we play, with some more unusual quotes being mixed in with classics. All the same, they need to be memorable.

Last edited by Key on Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:28 am Reply with quote
Just one update to the rules, which I have put in red. (And you guys had to know that was coming after the big tiff about it midway through last round.)

Also just a reminder that the agreed-upon standard for picking up open turns is that anyone who was in the top four the previous round (in this case Vaisaga, getchman, Raftina, and I'll include myself, too) should wait at least 12 hours to pick up an open turn to allow less expert participants a chance. This does not apply to minigames.

And we ended last round on an open turn, so that is how we will start this one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:12 am Reply with quote
Starting the round. This quote is from the official sub:

Character A: Hey, when we get home, could you teach me that piece? “The Dance in the Village Inn”? It’s a great piece. You said it was a waltz, so I was expecting something like this!

Character B: Silly. You’re not even waltzing. Here! Now Step! See? Natural spin turn! Chasse From P.P.! You’ve got no waistline!

Razz
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:17 am Reply with quote
I think this is spoiler[Chiaki and Nodame from Nodame Cantabile, with Chiaki teaching Nodame how to dance (and berating her for being kind of bad at it)], but I'm not very sure
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:25 am Reply with quote
That was quick.

"I was expecting something like this."

Unless you're in Australia, you've probably had to make your guess from watching a fansub.

Your turn, killjoy_the.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:40 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Just one update to the rules, which I have put in red. (And you guys had to know that was coming after the big tiff about it midway through last round.)

I'm sorry, but you're the only one who had a problem with it so this new rule comes off as self serving for you. Fansubs can only be used if official subs don't exist? So if there's a show that I only have fansubbed I have to go out and buy it on DVD or else I can't use it? That's bullshit. Hell, we just started with one that only has official subs available in Austrailia. If you really feel compelled to make a rule about it just make it so we have to say that official subs do exist.

Also regarding rules, you can get rid of 3a now. ANN has since implemented a swear filter so any words ANN doesn't auto censor should be acceptable.

Key wrote:
Also just a reminder that the agreed-upon standard for picking up open turns is that anyone who was in the top four the previous round (in this case Vaisaga, getchman, Raftina, and I'll include myself, too) should wait at least 12 hours to pick up an open turn to allow less expert participants a chance. This does not apply to minigames

I'm going to sit this round out so I'd like to be allowed to take open turns without waiting.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:03 am Reply with quote
I have no problem with you doing that, Vaisaga.

And you're right that we shouldn't need 3a anymore, but as a Mod I am well aware that the profanity filter is far from foolproof.

As for the other matter, if this creates a real hardship for someone because they live in a country where official subs aren't readily available then I'll allow the "using fansubs because the official sub isn't accessible to me" explanation. Also, keep in mind that we've determined that HorribleSubs fansubs count as official subs because they're just straight rips.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:28 am Reply with quote
I got nothing right now so I'll pass
Raftina

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:33 am Reply with quote
Then, minigame?

Vaisaga wrote:

I'm going to sit this round out so I'd like to be allowed to take open turns without waiting.

Keep guessing minigames so we can use this round to see just how many points you pick up from those. Razz
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:51 am Reply with quote
^
There were 46 minigames, of which Vaisaga answered 18 correctly. Next best were Cam0 with 5 and me with 4.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

I'm with Vaisaga on this, this is ridiculous. You were literally the only person who got "tiffed" about that ONE incident. I live in a non-English speaking country, official subs for non-streaming shows are not available for me. It's an incredibly dumb change and it's been months since that incident that, again only you got mad about. I can't believe you're still acting like a child about it.

Minigame answer: spoiler["Now worship me as much as you'd like!" best girl Shinoa, Owari no Seraph S2]
Raftina

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Correct on the minigame, though spoiler[best girl is Mikaela... oh, this is about best girl, not best love interest for Yu.]
Key

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:55 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I'm with Vaisaga on this, this is ridiculous. You were literally the only person who got "tiffed" about that ONE incident. I live in a non-English speaking country, official subs for non-streaming shows are not available for me. It's an incredibly dumb change and it's been months since that incident that, again only you got mad about. I can't believe you're still acting like a child about it.

It wasn't just that one incident; that kind of thing had happened before and I just didn't bother to make a big deal about it, either because I didn't have the time to raise a fuss or it was a case where I wouldn't have gotten the quote anyway. That incident was just the final straw.

I know that is not going to be popular with some of you. However, I've never liked fansubs being used for this because fansub translations can sometimes vary dramatically from official ones. Yes, in some cases (and for some people) there's not a viable option for using official dub/sub sources for those quotes, and that's why they are allowed at all.

Frankly, if people hadn't been dodgy about whether or not content had been officially subbed/dubbed then it never would have come to this. Just a simple "fansub, but official subs are also available" would have solved all of my original issue. And it's not like I'm not providing a work-around for those who do have country-based access problems to official subs.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:05 pm Reply with quote
It happened before? When exactly: one year, two years, three years ago? The only time I remember such incident was that single occasion from last round. I honestly think you're abusing your position as person in charge of the game, because literally no one else was bothered about it and no one else requested such change to the rules. No one was being purposefully dodgy about it, you're the only one being paranoid thinking Vaisaga deceived you. It's a dumb, completely unnecessary and childish addition to the rule. So if I have a fansub quote I have to go out of my way to research if there's an official version available just because you can't get over that one time Vaisaga "tricked" you? This is completely absurd
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, if it happened before then it was before I started playing the game. But I've been playing for a while now and it only came up once last round.

Sure there had been tiny little grumblings. Like how being marked as a fansub gave away Jinsei quotes, or that one time Key used an official sub quote from Amagi Brillant Park which threw me off because I forgot it eventually got official subs. But none of these cases were major gripes, no more serious than people going "Damn, if only I was on an hour earlier I could have gotten it!"

Yes, fan and official subs can differ on the wording, but the meaning is the same. Anyone who knows the answer shouldn't be thrown off just because it's slightly different from what they remembered. It'd only be a problem if you tried to Google the phrase, which is an issue for other reasons.

Dubs can greatly change the wordings of things, so are you going to force us not to use Dub quotes? After all, not everyone watches dubs so it's not fair for them. Or does it have to be that you can only use dub quotes so that all of us who only watch dubs aren't 'tricked' into thinking the source of a quote marked "sub" doesn't have a dub?

Also, the subs on a stream might be different from the subs on the disc, so do we have to specify "Stream Subs" vs "Disk Subs?"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 101