• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Idol Dreams GN 1

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rpgothic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:17 pm Reply with quote
In the last year or so I reached burn out on manga, but I'm gonna give this a read and see if it helps me finish that. Arina Tanemura is my favourite maga artist and it's been a while since I've had something new to read by her. I almost missed this one but thanks to this review I've ordered it Smile
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:48 pm Reply with quote
I read the first volume in Japanese a while ago.... and wow, I was impressed!! This one definitely has potential!!
phia_one

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... I'm not a fan of Arina Tanemura, but this series actually sounds interesting.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Great review.

This series' only downside is it comes out verrrrry slowly; we're talking two volumes a year. :/

So the wait is rough.

Quote:
Hmm... I'm not a fan of Arina Tanemura

Wry? D:
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Great review.

This series' only downside is it comes out verrrrry slowly; we're talking two volumes a year. :/

Yeah, I saw that this was started in 2013; definitely one of her slower titles.

Still, I think maybe the slow pace will be better for this series. Glancing at some screenshots online, there seems to be less crazy screentones everywhere, which is nice, and I like the approach of having an older character. Plus, Tanemura's pacing seems to veer between spot-on and god-awful, so maybe having lots of breathing room will help stabilize that.

Personally, though, I've always had a bit of a love-hate relationship with Tanemura's works. :/ It usually revolves around the heroine being hit or miss for me, and that basically all of her works have romantic love as being the most fulfilling thing evah--when really I think her approach to portraying friendships is much more satisfying. ^^;

Still, this seems like fairly new and original territory for her, so my hopes are tentatively up.
amcnulty

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:26 pm Reply with quote
This definitely sounds like my cup of tea, and I can totally relate to the not-feeling-grown-up thing!
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:48 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
basically all of her works have romantic love as being the most fulfilling thing evah--when really I think her approach to portraying friendships is much more satisfying. ^^;

Nah, I like her romance a LOT more....but I do admit, many pairings that are not the main one can feel a bit forced and random. Anime hyper;

She doesn't NEED to pair up every single side character....but I guess she doesn't want them to be lonely....or something. Anime hyper She's really into romance though. She hasn't done a single story without it.
manapear

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:42 am Reply with quote
I've really been enjoying the manga. It is very refreshing and meaningful for me, but I also just find it charming. Given it is Tanemura, I'm very interested what kind of twists, turns and shocks will come!

The only that still bothers me is the name change. Even if it is randomly named after ice cream, 31 I/Ai Dream felt more relatable and relevant than Idol Dreams. (Which applies only very abstractly?)
yomanffgg

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:44 am Reply with quote
I bought this after reading only part of description. And was disappointed that it is not about 30 aged woman becoming Idol , instead she turns into 15 year old and becomes an idol
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:19 am Reply with quote
I really like Arina Tanemura's art and have some of her artbooks. However often more than not her stories a bit cheesy, but I'm not really in her target demographic, so it is what it is. But I'm not above not reading any of her series, so when I find the time I'll definitely give it a look.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:50 am Reply with quote
manapear wrote:

The only that still bothers me is the name change. Even if it is randomly named after ice cream, 31 I/Ai Dream felt more relatable and relevant than Idol Dreams. (Which applies only very abstractly?)

I was pretty hung up on that myself. Anime hyper But butchering Japanese titles is just something we'll have to get used to. :/
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:59 am Reply with quote
Already have it on my selves~ (Though I should actually get around to reading it, gah)

Arina Tanemura is my second favorite manga-ka, so anything of hers is an insta-buy. And I'm so deep in idol hell that most idol things are also insta-buys. Everyone wins! (except my wallet) Arina obviously has a thing for idols, and I love it. Full Moon wo Sagashite, Idol dreams, and Idolish7.
manapear

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

I was pretty hung up on that myself. Anime hyper But butchering Japanese titles is just something we'll have to get used to. :/

Haha, glad it isn't just me~. That's sadly true. ;u;

WashuTakahashi wrote:
Already have it on my selves~ (Though I should actually get around to reading it, gah)

Arina Tanemura is my second favorite manga-ka, so anything of hers is an insta-buy. And I'm so deep in idol hell that most idol things are also insta-buys. Everyone wins! (except my wallet) Arina obviously has a thing for idols, and I love it. Full Moon wo Sagashite, Idol dreams, and Idolish7.

I just got re-attached to Tanemura and am starting to feel like she's in my top 5 again. I don't even mind how cheesy or ridiculous her stuff gets. (If anything, it just feels like a not-so-guilty pleasure at that point.)

Lol, I'm feeling it too with idol hell! And it's a bonus that Arinacchi loves idols. x'D
Nephry

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

I thought it was a pun on idle dreams, so it made sense to me...? (I was really slow to get the pun *head smack*)
But yeah, I can see where you're coming from. And incidentally, I've only read the first chapter, so I don't know a whole lot about the series.
manapear

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:40 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Nephry"]
Quote:

I thought it was a pun on idle dreams, so it made sense to me...? (I was really slow to get the pun *head smack*)
But yeah, I can see where you're coming from. And incidentally, I've only read the first chapter, so I don't know a whole lot about the series.

The JP name is a pun on Baskin Robbins' 31 flavors (aisu kuriimu). I think it worked well because it sounds like 31 I Dream, which with the character being that age, is more generally fitting and makes sense. And with being middle aged, and age in general such a theme, keeping the 31 made most sense.

I think it bugs me the most that they dropped the 31, but also that they changed it to Idol Dreams. At this point in time at least, it's not as though Chikage has dreamed about being idol or that it is her "real" goal now.

It's one of those things that's a minor, nitpicky but also relevant change for me. ^u^;
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2