• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Cobbs Poll: Which Manga Shouldn't Be a Live-Action Film

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaiyanHero16

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Because we all know what happen with Dragon Ball *shivers*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gene548

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Live action is not a good thing to even be doing. usually it turns out to be a really bad film and a waste of a bunch of money. if your making an anime based on a film.. i THINK it might work out.. but never the other way around
khadijah1415

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:27 pm Reply with quote
The only live action movies that SHOULD be made into a live action are ones that have no action. I was gonna watch Dragon Ball but then I saw the live action movie... Sad
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:37 pm Reply with quote
What a weird list, because outside of One Piece, all of those series could easily be adapted into live action without making them too different from the source.

In fact, I think a Fullmetal Alchemist live action film could be great...
warpshadow

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Somehow I think Kodomo Jikan should have ranked higher on that poll.
Lenks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Slam Dunk and Hajime no Ippo could easily become live action based. They aren't exactly the farfetched kind of sports like you sometimes see. The only problem would be trying to capture the spirits of the character. A character like Hanamichi works well in a medium like anime. I doubt his character would translate well in a live action form, though.
nhat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Gene548 wrote:
Live action is not a good thing to even be doing. usually it turns out to be a really bad film and a waste of a bunch of money. if your making an anime based on a film.. i THINK it might work out.. but never the other way around

Asia makes LA shows from manga/anime all the time. A lot are done really well and make money.
reanimator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:46 pm Reply with quote
nhat wrote:
Gene548 wrote:

Asia makes LA shows from manga/anime all the time. A lot are done really well and make money.

In your opinion, what are the well made Asian live action version of anime/manga titles?
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:09 pm Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
nhat wrote:
Gene548 wrote:

In your opinion, what are the well made Asian live action version of anime/manga titles?

Meteor Garden. Based on the manga Hana Yori Dango.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:13 pm Reply with quote
FMA makes me cry because a potential movie could be amazing if done properly. They don't even need Asian actors for most of the roles.

One Piece would be God-awful in every single circumstance.

Slam Dunk wouldn't be that bad, really.

Gintama... just no.

JoJo... nope.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:18 pm Reply with quote
So, "no," to a live action version of Fullmetal Alchemist.

Somebody should've told Vic Mignona.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:30 pm Reply with quote
I don't really get why Slam Dunk and Vagabond shouldn't be made into live-action when they're pretty damn realistic already, so they don't have to work on budget problems as much. Will agree with One Piece, though, as we'd get some creepy Cool World/Monkeybone/Scott Pilgrim/Son of the Mask-esque hybrid. Though, as I noted before, there's already an unofficial FMA movie in the works. Rolling Eyes Plus, I think someone at Screen Gems is a Jojo fan. Cool
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
So, "no," to a live action version of Fullmetal Alchemist.

Somebody should've told Vic Mignona.

Vic did that out of his own fandom....which is why I <3 him
Lizzie_B

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:34 pm Reply with quote
MrTerrorist wrote:
reanimator wrote:
nhat wrote:
Gene548 wrote:

Meteor Garden. Based on the manga Hana Yori Dango.

Don't forget Nana and Death Note
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
FMA makes me cry because a potential movie could be amazing if done properly. They don't even need Asian actors for most of the roles.

You say that as if there is a surplus of White actors ready to do an Asian LA film like FMA.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2