• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Rewrite (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 12:20 am Reply with quote

Rewrite (TV)

Genres: Action, Drama, Romance, Supernatural
Themes: bishoujo

Plot Summary: Kazamatsuri, a modern, well-developed city renowned for its burgeoning greenery and rich Japanese culture, is home to Kotarou Tennouji, a high schooler least privy to the place's shared values. Content to fill his pockets with frivolity, the proud and nosey boy whiles away his time pestering the self-proclaimed delinquent Haruhiko, and indulging in his amorous feelings toward the oddball Kotori.

Equipped with the superhuman ability to permanently rewrite any part of his body to multiply his strength or speed, Kotarou is naturally drawn to the supernatural. One special meeting with the lone member and president of the Occult Research Club, the "Witch" Akane Senri, leads to Kotarou reviving the Occult Club by recruiting Kotori and three other members: the clumsy transfer student Chihaya, the strict class representative Lucia, and the unassuming Shizuru. As Kotarou unveils hidden secrets of each member of the Occult Club through their shared adventures, he will inevitably encounter a fate that only he might be able to rewrite.
----------------------------------

Finally, this got an anime adaptation. It was a matter of not if but when. I’ve read really good reviews about the game franchise before so I’m quite excited to see this. The preview looks alright, not too impressive in terms of animation quality but I think it could work out.

Really hoping this will be a 2 or 4 cour in the future so that it can cover a lot of storytelling. Very excited! From a recent KSL event, the original theme songs will also be part of the anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I cannot wait for this one. I have a figure of Shizuru. SHE'S SHO CUTE. X3
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:59 pm Reply with quote
It's based on a Key game, so that really tells you everything you need to know so far as what's going to happen and if you'll like it.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Better than I had expected. We got introduction of the main characters and the mysterious vibe of the setting already.

Lucia is awesome. I also kinda like the chemistry between Tennouji and Yoshino. Felt quite rushed but I'm fine with it so far. I hope the soundtrack improves a bit though. In the meantime, I think the show captured the atmospheric setting, premise, and character expressions quite well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:00 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Re:zero, ReLife, Rewrite. Probably coincidently, like Re:zero we have a double length first episode, and that seems to be that it takes a pretty long time to actually get into what this anime is. I might be projecting, but it had me thinking that it may mean that the entire setup is playing the expected boundaries of its genre.

The anime seems well put together, the main character is rather quirky, kind of fun, and there seems to be quite a bit of detail in showing things around him, so it actually makes me feel suspicious of the type of characters around him. Simply it is that many of the characters feel very "Key", very much like archtypes of specific characters, and the anime seems to actually be more aware of it than it seems at first. Although it has many of the hallmarks bearing an anime setting, something feels off, and I can probably only theorise so far on it, that the cliché fake parts deliberate.

I think.... he might be in a story/game/fantasy, like within the concepts of the anime it is artificial. This is based on a game, so it has me thinking that the world is a reality warped like setting where it has all been made to look like the usual set up of a game. A mysterious transfer student is an outsider who has transferred into this reality and has adopted the role of transfer student, her reason for transferring at that time is no more than it is the good time to do it. Probably not right, but the theory was crossing through my mind that the ribbon ghost girl could be indicative of the moe genre archtype that live of males. She seemed to be able to rewrite the very space around him, showing that the space itself is controllable, until he escapes, into a place that made me think it was like the behind or between the scenes. There he meets two fairy characters claiming to be made of garbage, which actually makes me think that perhaps it is more meaning that they are thrown away characters, characters left stuck in places the viewers cannot see.

Hey, I could be reading too much into it all, and I could be proven to be wrong about theories. But so far apart from feeling pretty fun, I am taking the wording like rewriting the world or himself as indicative that all the typical elements around him are done so on purpose, and with that comes pliability. So far it reminds me specifically of A Good Librarian Like a Good Shepherd, although a little more deliberate and better put together.
Ringking

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:11 am Reply with quote
Well, I kind of expected it but it's still disappointing regardless, the Rewrite anime sucks.

This is, of course, coming from the perspective of someone who already knows the story, but this studio doesn't seem to know how to pace this story at all. It's like they are trying to water the story down to it's bare necessities in order to jump from point to point and character to character as fast as they possibly can without any attempt to build it into an engaging narrative or give anyone or anything it's due time. The series isn't just rushed so far, it's attempting to break the sound barrier.

Also, same complaint as Little Busters, stop it with the game BGM all the time. Seriously, I miss KyoAni x Key.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Hmm.. it was ok...ish. The comedy wasn't bad, but it wasn't all that great either. There were a couple slightly funny moments. Hearing Kurosaki Ichigo in a role like this is interesting. For a show like this, it's an oddly fresh voice.

Ringking wrote:
The series isn't just rushed so far, it's attempting to break the sound barrier.

I haven't played the visual novel, but I didn't notice the pacing being rushed. Frankly it felt really slow at first.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:26 am Reply with quote
Episode 2:

That Lucia uppercut is awesome.

I thought the episode was rather funny. Tennouji definitely still has some chemistry with some of the other girls imo including Shizuru. Kagari still gave me the mysterious vibes though while the teasing between Akane and Tennoji is pretty priceless.

The OP song is alright, pretty catchy. I might have to listen again to it later.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:12 pm Reply with quote
As per usual for adaptations of shows like this, it will feel rushed because they need to have the group gathered before breaking into each girl's individual arcs. That said, there are things of interest here with the white hair maiden and Kotarou's dreamworld-esque experiences. I'm curious at the very least and hope they're interesting but as far as the cast is concerned so far, no one really peaks my interest except for maybe Kotori, the white hair ribbon girl, and the president. That said, episode 2 does have some laughable moments so the show's enjoyable as of now.
Ringking

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:32 am Reply with quote
I was under the impression that that they were only going to be doing one route with this adaptation, likely with Moon and Terra (the routes that unlock after the character routes are complete) as a separate season. The character routes are pretty long, they would be extremely hard pressed to fit everything into the episode they have.

I spose you cant miss what you don't know is supposed to be there, but there is a lot of content which I think is important for setting the scene and the character relationships that I personally would not have considered disposable are being omitted. As a result, it's having a negative effect on the series overall tone, it goes by so fast that the telling just feels flat and utterly devoid of emotion, tension or atmosphere.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:28 pm Reply with quote
episodes one and two

Despite Rewrite being a well-known visual novel... I haven't read it. This is actually my introduction to the world of Rewrite. Not know the original pacing, I can't say it feels rushed. I'll take everyone's word for it that, compared to the VN, it's moving pretty quick but without preset expectations nothing feels off.

Speaking of expectations: We made it all the way through a double-length premiere episode without the main character displaying any of that classic-VN-protagonist-perverted sense-of-humor, so I was sort of hopeful that we had dodged that bullet. I should have known! Still, they managed to make it work well and I've been enjoying the show's sense of humor overall, thus far.

I, like DuskyPredator, am reminded pretty heavily of A Good Librarian Like A Good Shephard, another VN where I've only seen the anime adaptation. I'm hopeful that since they're trying to cover a route that didn't exist in the original VN that it will actually go somewhere, unlike its library-centered cousin.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

Honestly, if I had to choose between a lead who is a wet blanket and bland and a lead who is a prankster and not afraid to take something a bit beyond decency, I think in the case I choose the later. Like it was surprising that he actually took it as far as to make the request to touch her breasts, and for it to keep being thrown in his face in bringing in the girls, it kind of worked funny. I think there might have been a couple surprises like setting up the Shinigami as someone important before they apparently become quickly dispensable, and that he stopped her one night with a timely fart.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Like all other Key series, this one is moe and strange and I'm enjoying the ride of the moe strangeness. Anime hyper

I'm not sure who to ship yet but I think Kotarou has the best chemistry with Chihaya so far. And Yoshino is great. I hope he gets a lot of screentime. Anime hyper

Kinda disappoint in Shizuru's design; her hair is supposed to be much longer and more flowing. D:
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:28 am Reply with quote
Episode 3:

So Tenouji got attacked this episode and we got a strange ending quote as well. Meanwhile, I think the comedy is much more than I had originally expected. Tennouji is fun to watch with his interactions with the other girls including Shizuku.

OP and ED theme songs are still among one of my favorites this season.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:10 pm Reply with quote
This show is starting to grow on me. The comedy is decent. It's not making me laugh out loud, but it's fun to watch nonetheless. Goddamn that Shizuru's eye patch. I'm not a fan of eye patches unless they are really cool. She'd look SO much better without it. Everytime I see the shows title, FMA's 4th opening starts playing in my head: Keshite rewrite shite...

Stark700 wrote:
OP and ED theme songs are still among one of my favorites this season.

Meh, I personally find them both to be kind of forgettable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6