• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Survey Feedback

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Go for it!

I'll turn this first post into an FAQ to address questions asked below.

Shiroi Hane wrote:
Is Funimationnow.uk too new to be included, or would it be counted under funimation.com?
You can include it in funimation.com

angelmcazares wrote:
Would you prefer that "talkback" (discussion about articles posted on ANN) remain in the forum, or be presented under the article in question ?
I answered under the article, but isn't that already the current format?
This refers to the posts themselves. Right now you have to go to the forum to read user comments on an article. Many other websites embed the comments section under the article in question.

angelmcazares wrote:
I was under the impression that a subscription plan for ANN was already in the works.
The new subscription plan is... planned. But since it's taking much longer than anticipated, we're still open to feedback.

penguintruth wrote:
Level-5 should have been listed as a video game company. They're pretty big now.
I included the top X (don't remember the number) companies by sales. Level-5 just wasn't big enough last year I guess.

KonradW wrote:

I wonder why "erotic" and "non-erotic" applies only to visual novels.
Visual novels are the only type of games we include where many readers immediately assume you may be referring to erotic games just by saying "Visual Novels."

eely225 wrote:
In the early section where you identify how you watch anime, then favorite method, and what sites you use, and favorite site, they are listed in different orders from one question to the next. It makes it a little confusing and I had a moment where I thought some of my previous selections weren't there. Not a big deal, but just a note.
The order is randomized. Every person sees them in a different order so that the order doesn't impact the results.

several people wrote:
Brand X Car wasn't available
. The top selling car brands in North America were included. For every other brand, they fall under "other."

several people wrote:
There was no option for "I took Japanese lessons before."
Yes, that should have been there. I'll make sure to add that option next time.

several more people wrote:
WTF is TRSI/Nozomi Entertainment missing from the "favorite anime company" question?
. Embarassed This was an accident. We made it last year, and we made it again this year (I copied last year's survey then made edits... and I didn't notice this for the second year in a row). I'm going to re-run that question as a stand-alone in a few weeks, and I'll definitely fix it for next year. Sorry Nozomi fans, Sorry Shawne!!!

Mr. Oshawott wrote:
I would be totally thrilled if there were a bit more coverage of itasha/ itansha art. Smile
So would I, but it's really not a popular answer in the survey Sad

GVman wrote:
I wish there was an option regarding coverage of older anime/manga, as that tends to be my main interest.
The older stuff really isn't popular. We love covering it, so we cover it pretty often, but everytime we cover it, we know we're losing money doing it. Sad

[quote="GVman"]I wasn't even aware ANN had a subscription service .... If that three bucks could get more podcasts (the Mike Toole Monthly, anyone?), I'd gladly subscribe.[quote="GVman"] People who are interested / willing to pay for more of their favorite content, be it Itasha, Mike Toole, or a retired column, will really like the new subscription system.

ferrumorum wrote:
For the "how you get to work/school" I was surprised there was no walking option.
We should have included "walk" as an option, but for now please select "commute." We'll fix it in next year's.

Wondername wrote:

I wish there was a "no answer" option.
There is. For "none of the above,"just leave the question blank.

Last edited by Tempest on Mon May 09, 2016 3:53 pm; edited 14 times in total
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 3:52 pm Reply with quote
That was a very thorough survey, but I happily answered it. I have some questions and clarifications for some of the questions in the survey.

Would you prefer that "talkback" (discussion about articles posted on ANN) remain in the forum, or be presented under the article in question ?

Would you be interested in more podcasts (other than ANNCast) ?
I answered yes, but I am mostly interested in having different content. I would like to see at least once per season an ANNCast where several of the site's critics/reviewers discuss the current anime season more in depth. I now that from the regular hosts, Jacob keeps up with several simulcasts, but it is frustrating to hear that Zac cannot give much input on current shows because he only follows like 1 or 2. Sorry for being this blunt.

If ANN came up with the right subscription plan for you, with special perks, what would be the most you'd be willing to spend per month ?
I was under the impression that a subscription plan for ANN was already in the works.
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 3:53 pm Reply with quote
I looked for Bioware on the "favorite game studio" list, but then I remembered they were purchased by EA.

I love Bioware but I hate EA. What a dilemma that little bubble was.
KonradW

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 4:16 pm Reply with quote
First of all, it's a very nice in-depth survey (not sure where did car questions come from, but I guess you have your reasons), someone has definitely spent a good bit of time compiling all these questions and they did a neat job.

Two problems I see:

"What kind of electronic games do you enjoy playing?" and "fantasy" among answers. Other ones include game genres and fantasy isn't really mutually exclusive with neither of them - we can have action fantasy game, puzzle fantasy game and so on. This one just doesn't fit the rest.

I wonder why "erotic" and "non-erotic" applies only to visual novels. I do realise that adult content is not welcome on mainstream-ish sites in general, but just for the sake of keeping things well defined, there are tons of Japanese erotic games of all genres, ready to be legally purchased even. For once, I don't particularly enjoy H visual novels, but RPGs with adult elements are my thing.
tl:dr Just "eroge" would be a better answer.
omoikane

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 4:22 pm Reply with quote
As someone who spent a lot on mobage the past couple years it's a little concerning that this item doesn't show up at all in the survey beyond "casual" as a video game category. I mean, it's already the [s]future[/s]reality of electronic gaming in the East, there are anime studios created to make shows based on these properties, and it's just going to get more and more prolific because how lucrative it is. Guess that gap is just going to get wider between the east and west.
Saffire

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 4:33 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
That was a very thorough survey, but I happily answered it. I have some questions and clarifications for some of the questions in the survey.

I think the question means that it would be embedded into the article rather than linked into from the forums.
Quote:
If ANN came up with the right subscription plan for you, with special perks, what would be the most you'd be willing to spend per month ?
What do you mean in the works, you're a subscriber. Razz The question kind of assumes that if you're not already a subscriber then the current plan is not what you want.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
There's already a subscription plan (you get access to the fast servers and can disable ads among other things), but the question kind of assumes that if you're not already a subscriber then the current plan is not what you want.

I subscribe to the plan you refer to. I was talking about a plan with different tiers that was being discussed in an ANN thread.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Bring back House of 1000 Corpses!
Altorrin

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 4:57 pm Reply with quote
For the brand of car I was interested in buying, I wanted to say Tesla but it wasn't listed. Darn.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 5:42 pm Reply with quote
omoikane wrote:
As someone who spent a lot on mobage the past couple years it's a little concerning that this item doesn't show up at all in the survey beyond "casual" as a video game category. I mean, it's already the [s]future[/s]reality of electronic gaming in the East, there are anime studios created to make shows based on these properties, and it's just going to get more and more prolific because how lucrative it is. Guess that gap is just going to get wider between the east and west.

I don't think mobage is a genre.

You have RPG mobage, action-adventure mobage, puzzle mobage, casual mobage, etc...

However, you did make me think that I should have split a few of the questions up into computer/console/mobile.

I've added 2 question to the survey (25 & 26), but next year I'll ask a few more about this. You can go back and answer these if you want.

(I can add questions to the survey with no harm. But adding answers to a question is bad for the stats).
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Altorrin wrote:
For the brand of car I was interested in buying, I wanted to say Tesla but it wasn't listed. Darn.

Sure it was. Under "Other."

My next brand of car falls under that category too.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 5:48 pm Reply with quote
KonradW wrote:
What kind of electronic games do you enjoy playing?" and "fantasy" among answers. Other ones include game genres and fantasy isn't really mutually exclusive with neither of them - we can have action fantasy game, puzzle fantasy game and so on. This one just doesn't fit the rest.
Good point.

Last edited by Tempest on Thu May 05, 2016 5:34 am; edited 1 time in total
cfalcon

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 6:08 pm Reply with quote
I noted that I enjoyed the episode reviews in my survey feedback, but wanted to emphasize that I hugely appreciate them for their timely deconstruction of an episode soon after I watch it. I enjoy several other columns/features but they've greatly increased my time spent on ANN.
DOMEENAYTION

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 6:11 pm Reply with quote
I think the hardest question for me was the open question about how many hours you play video games. They didn't specify what types and since they were talking about Android phones and the like, I didn't know if they counted Android games. Which I play everyday for hours. Especially the new Sailor Moon app and Unison League. So I think I would of liked it better if it was specified or have us answer options instead of being open.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 6:13 pm Reply with quote
The question "Have you tried the different layout options for the front page? If so, which is your favorite ?" is missing a "Front page? Where?? " option Razz
(I don't think I've actually looked at the front page in years)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8