Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Rewrite


Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
igiari21



Joined: 16 Jul 2016
Posts: 1
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:36 pm Reply with quote
I personally have an apprehension of this series, mostly due to 8bit. I played this VN (like Grisaia) and I'm worried that 8bit won't adapt this well. So far it's OK.

Nevertheless, this review honestly could be read like this:

"Rewrite is like Key, except it doesn't do Key in an inspired fashion, but if you don't like Key you won't like this, and if you do like Key you will like this, but it's not good Key. Rewrite reuses some of the tropes Key has used before (in their multitude of games and characters). If Rewrite became more like Key it would be better but it needs to be unique Key and not what Key has done before."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Azure-Wind91



Joined: 31 Jul 2013
Posts: 181
Location: South Carolina
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
interacts with six female classmates

spoiler[I think it's hilarious Inoue is being called one of the love interests by so many reviewers when she didn't even have a sprite in the original game]
I'd say this is a fair review. A lot of stuff's been either cut out or moved around compared to the VN. I just hope it doesn't self-destruct on us. spoiler[And because it would be nice to get a true happy ending for Kotarou for once.]

Little side note, there's actually a pretty big plot error as of episode 3 spoiler[although technically it's in the opening too.] Those who've read the VN, I wonder if you caught on to it too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
RaylenCypher



Joined: 03 Mar 2015
Posts: 138
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Azure-Wind91 wrote:
Little side note, there's actually a pretty big plot error as of episode 3 spoiler[although technically it's in the opening too.] Those who've read the VN, I wonder if you caught on to it too.


Do tell.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zrnzle500
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 04 Oct 2014
Posts: 3603
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:54 pm Reply with quote
From what I heard (either here or elsewhere, I forget), the sixth girl is the affectionate ghost. I continue to ship Yoshi x Ten though Laughing

I agree the fart scene was the funniest part of the show so far. I think its ambiguity and brevity made it especially effective. Fart jokes need no elaboration and are better without it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Azure-Wind91



Joined: 31 Jul 2013
Posts: 181
Location: South Carolina
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:55 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Because Kotarou remembers Kagiri "killing" him on the hill at the beginning of the anime, that means this takes place after the Moon Route. If that's the case though, how is Sakuya, well...existing?]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
SNaGem



Joined: 23 May 2016
Posts: 41
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Azure-Wind91 wrote:
spoiler[Because Kotarou remembers Kagiri "killing" him on the hill at the beginning of the anime, that means this takes place after the Moon Route. If that's the case though, how is Sakuya, well...existing?]


Because.... spoiler[The Moon Route can be considered an endless loop where Kagari is experimenting with different choices to find the right path to the future. In her experimentation lies the routes in the visual novel, and presumably this anime route too. So it doesn't occur after Moon, but rather within Moon, like the game.]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RaylenCypher



Joined: 03 Mar 2015
Posts: 138
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Btw Theron, the first review covering episodes 1-3 is listed as 1-2 on the front.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JacobC
ANN Past Staff


Joined: 15 Jan 2008
Posts: 3727
Location: SoCal
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:59 pm Reply with quote
RaylenCypher wrote:
Btw Theron, the first review covering episodes 1-3 is listed as 1-2 on the front.


Fix'd.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime
Hameyadea



Joined: 23 Jun 2014
Posts: 3679
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:41 am Reply with quote
KEY/Visual Arts' works are long, that's a given, so it isn't really a surprise when their adaptations also have a slow-burn start. But this show is something different, and not in a positive way; it feels a few notches down from most of KEY/VA's previous works, in a production sense, and that's not a complement. The lead is quite bland, the girls are very fixed on their archtypes, so much so that I already have one or two that starting to annoy me everytime they appear, and the humor is generally weak. Even the reveal of the [Rewrite] ability felt bland...

Last edited by Hameyadea on Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Key
Moderator


Joined: 03 Nov 2003
Posts: 15938
Location: Indianapolis, IN (formerly Mimiho Valley)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:45 am Reply with quote
Azure-Wind91 wrote:
I'd say this is a fair review. A lot of stuff's been either cut out or moved around compared to the VN. I just hope it doesn't self-destruct on us. spoiler[And because it would be nice to get a true happy ending for Kotarou for once.]

Do keep in mind that it's not supposed to be completely true to the game, since it is doing a route that the game never covered.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
invalidname
Get off my lawn!Get off my lawn!


Joined: 11 Aug 2004
Posts: 1975
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:02 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Azure-Wind91 wrote:
I'd say this is a fair review. A lot of stuff's been either cut out or moved around compared to the VN. I just hope it doesn't self-destruct on us. spoiler[And because it would be nice to get a true happy ending for Kotarou for once.]

Do keep in mind that it's not supposed to be completely true to the game, since it is doing a route that the game never covered.

Indeed, that's probably the only reason I'm holding out any hope for Rewrite. I've been much happier with the more adaptive VN anime that really rework the material for anime (for example, ef or Rumbling Hearts) than slavishly loyal "we must reproduce each arc for the fans" shows (lookin' at you, Little Busters!)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
maxwell3094



Joined: 28 Mar 2014
Posts: 147
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:11 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Do keep in mind that it's not supposed to be completely true to the game, since it is doing a route that the game never covered.

I'm really curious and more than a little worried about what exactly they plan on doing for this "6th girls route". Like you I also assume they mean ghost girl but that seems strange to me since I felt like that was what the spoiler[true] route was for. For now I dunno what to make of the anime really with it doing the normal common route. Whatever they do hopefully it turns out all right as I've been looking forward to the VN getting an anime for a long time now.

As a side note I hope they do the joke spoiler[oppai] route as an OVA or something at some point. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Selipse



Joined: 04 Sep 2014
Posts: 216
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:08 am Reply with quote
Funnily enough, I think this feels more like a "best hits" or such "for the fans". So far, nothing really has been given a proper introduction, and it just feels like a nod to the vn readers.

Like, episode 1 already ruined it. spoiler[What the hell was up with the whole Krivoy Rog scene? Not to mention the very beginning...]
Honestly, I feel that this won't just end up as a "6th route". I'm pretty sure it'll end up being the "let's put everything together at the same time" that usually ruins visual novel adaptations. We'll see how it goes after the common route ends.

I'm just hoping for a proper adaptation of Moon and Terra (which are supposedly pretty much already confirmed?). By the way, that would mean in a second season. I fear they might combine even those during these measly 13 episodes.

It's a shame that this will be some people's first experience with Key's most ambitious project. Just do yourselves a favor and read the visual novel. It's even coming out officially in English.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MCAL



Joined: 11 Feb 2013
Posts: 100
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:28 am Reply with quote
I do think it's time to watch this VN adaption for what it is rather than what it isn't. And I'm relatively enjoying it for what it is.

I'll say this though. Don't always assume an adaption is representative of the source material, because sometime it isn't.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Key
Moderator


Joined: 03 Nov 2003
Posts: 15938
Location: Indianapolis, IN (formerly Mimiho Valley)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Selipse wrote:
Funnily enough, I think this feels more like a "best hits" or such "for the fans". So far, nothing really has been given a proper introduction, and it just feels like a nod to the vn readers.

Like, episode 1 already ruined it. spoiler[What the hell was up with the whole Krivoy Rog scene? Not to mention the very beginning...]
Honestly, I feel that this won't just end up as a "6th route". I'm pretty sure it'll end up being the "let's put everything together at the same time" that usually ruins visual novel adaptations. We'll see how it goes after the common route ends.

What I said about the 6th route is directly from the mouth of the head honcho of Visual Art's, said only six weeks before the series debuted - IOW, well after it would have been far into production. Given that he's a demon for details, and given why they chose to go that way (because the VA staff felt that too high a percentage of fans of the VN were missing the intended main point), I think you can be reasonably assured that the 6th route is happening.

Now, that doesn't exclude them summarizing some of the other routes on the way there. Again, the goal here is to retool the story so that the real main point is clearer, so you can probably assume that any decision made on how the story is shown feeds into that. That's also why this is a rare case where saying "read the VN instead/in addition" might not actually be helpful.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group